What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
wtBwWS6.gif
People I've talked to or read on the internet. Also some well-established young coaster youtube presenters.

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised by the surprise here. My impression is that there was a huge surge of enthusiasm for the ride when it first came out (many of whom still love it), then followed by a considerable backlash. Some of that is inevitable with any coaster, but it was especially so with Taron.

Me, I haven't ridden it, but it looks like a ride I could love.

nadroJ

CF Legend
People I've talked to or read on the internet. Also some well-established young coaster youtube presenters.

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised by the surprise here. My impression is that there was a huge surge of enthusiasm for the ride when it first came out (many of whom still love it), then followed by a considerable backlash. Some of that is inevitable with any coaster, but it was especially so with Taron.

Me, I haven't ridden it, but it looks like a ride I could love.

I'm in the same camp as everyone else here - never seen anybody call it forceless or similar. Which 'well-established younger coaster youtube presenters' are we talking about here?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Which 'well-established younger coaster youtube presenters' are we talking about here?
Eh. I don't really want to name names and put them on the defensive. There are really not that many out there, especially those that have been on Taron, so if you're curious...

Anyway, again, it's not my opinion -- I haven't ridden it but am very excited to -- it's just opinions I've heard from enthusiasts over the last year or so. At any rate, I hear what people are saying and I even find it kind of nice to hear a lot of you think there's no negativity for this ride.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think the "most polarizing coaster" question would be an interesting topic for a thread, but either way I'm pretty sure Taron wouldn't be anywhere near the top. For coasters with a starkly divided reception, I think Millennium Force takes the crown. Its reputation(s) may be exaggerated by fanboyism and anti-fanboyism, but I've heard it being described all over the spectrum in the years I've been on CF.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I think Millennium Force is losing its thunder.
When I rode it for the first time it had a very noticeable rattle; More noticeable than Banshee, but way less than Diamondback. Yet again I was on a wheel seat, but I still found Maverick Smoother.

Ben

CF Legend
Eh. I don't really want to name names and put them on the defensive. There are really not that many out there, especially those that have been on Taron, so if you're curious...

Anyway, again, it's not my opinion -- I haven't ridden it but am very excited to -- it's just opinions I've heard from enthusiasts over the last year or so. At any rate, I hear what people are saying and I even find it kind of nice to hear a lot of you think there's no negativity for this ride.

So, Sanbrooke?

He didn't exactly hate it, but, his opinion matters for less than nothing. That is one person, and one person with poor taste, not that much experience and no real knowledge of parks and experiences. You only have to watch his blogs to see how much he talks out of his arse.

As everyone has said, Taron is absolutely not a divisive coaster.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
So, Sanbrooke?

He didn't exactly hate it, but, his opinion matters for less than nothing. That is one person, and one person with poor taste, not that much experience and no real knowledge of parks and experiences. You only have to watch his blogs to see how much he talks out of his arse.

As everyone has said, Taron is absolutely not a divisive coaster.
Never heard of Sanbrooke. Look, I've made it clear that I've heard a lot of divided opinion on this coaster. You're all welcome to tell me that in your experience the reception has been 100% positive -- and I've said that I've been interested and glad to hear it -- but when you start to shift to a phrase like "absolutely not a divisive coaster," you're starting to get a tad obnoxious. Can you not accept that people's experiences of public opinion may differ? I do not have any one source for you to criticize, because I've heard this from several dozens of sources for a long time now. This may be news to you, but it's news I am sure you can adjust to.

Sandman

Giga Poster
To be fair, I'd say 85% of opinions I've heard right across the community have held Taron in a positive light. The only negatives I've heard are usually minor and nothing overwhelming. I don't know of anyone yet to claim it is a "bad" ride, just that it isn't world class. Still, a huge majority put it up there with the best and I can't wait to find out for myself what it's all about.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
To be fair, I'd say 85% of opinions I've heard right across the community have held Taron in a positive light. The only negatives I've heard are usually minor and nothing overwhelming. I don't know of anyone yet to claim it is a "bad" ride, just that it isn't world class. Still, a huge majority put it up there with the best and I can't wait to find out for myself what it's all about.
For me it's one of the most highly anticipated coasters in Europe, and if I could leave tomorrow for any three parks on that continent, Phantasialand would definitely be on my list.
But I have known many detractors -- no, no one who *hates* it, but many who find it underwhelming and undeserving of the fuss. For example, one youtuber has called it "Europe's Cheetah Hunt," by which I think he means it's a fun family launch coaster, but it lacks the intensity to be considered much more and is greatly overrated by many.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I think calling it Europe's Cheetah Hunt is way off the mark. Calling Taron a family coaster is like calling Maverick a family coaster. Taron goes 72 mph, has multiple launches, and is generally seen as very intense.

I haven't ridden it, but I would say it easily looks like Europe's best coaster. It has the stats, layout, and even theming of a world class experience. I think any roller coaster that is as loved as Taron is (most members who rode it during the CF Live had it at either 1 or 2) is bound to be considered underwhelming or overrated by some. However, even with those who've criticized it, I've heard nothing but overall positive things. Almost everyone who has done it tends to say it is one of the best roller coasters in the world. I'm very curious who you're hearing this from as well. I don't mean to be rude to them, but I don't really take most of the Youtube coaster channels that seriously. They tend to be run by young people who are inexperienced with roller coasters and have a lot of free time. This isn't to say that their content is bad; it's just that I wouldn't cite their opinion as a valid reason a coaster is considered overrated. People go to them for news, not opinions.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Fair enough. I don't want to belabor the topic further than I already have. Again, I'm actually glad so many of you have heard nothing but praise for Taron because it's just one of those coasters I really want to love when I finally get to ride it.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
1. Outlaw Run
2. Storm Chaser
3. X2
4. Maverick
5. Joker (SFDK)
6. Twisted Colossus
7. Iron Rattler
8. Voyage
9. New Texas Giant
10. Lightning Run

So Storm Chaser. What the ****. My first ride I was speechless, just nothing at all to say. Then over the next 2 hours and 7 more rides I fell in love. This is the closest something has come to taking out Outlaw Run, and after riding OR 2 weeks ago and having it be mildly rough, it was tough. The reason it isn't 1 is on the last 4 hills, I almost say the first one is almost too intense, and rather painful. May be going back tomorrow as well as a stop at Holiday World, so may change again.

Especially with Dollywood later this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TilenB

Strata Poster
I have to side with Ben here. I've yet to see a negative opinion on Taron. The only thing that divides people is whether it's the best coaster ever or if it's fantastic but not quite up there.
Come on, one of your good buddies thinks it's nothing special and you claim you've never seen a negative opinion on it?

To be honest, the following trip report is the only one where people weren't exactly blown away by the ride;
http://bannister.org/coasters/trips/2016/0824.htm

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Come on, one of your good buddies thinks it's nothing special and you claim you've never seen a negative opinion on it?

To be honest, the following trip report is the only one where people weren't exactly blown away by the ride;
http://bannister.org/coasters/trips/2016/0824.htm
He still rates it in his top 50 out of 700 coasters so that's hardly negative. Obviously not everybody has it in their top 10, but most people still do. Tbf, I can sort of see why not everybody would be blown away by it, as like Helix it needs to be ridden at night to be truly amazing. But unlike in Liseberg, night-time isn't part of an average day at Phantasialand. Only based on the day ride on Taron, it would be quite a bit lower in my top 10. Probably 7th or so. So people who haven't been lucky enough might not be as impressed.

nadroJ

CF Legend
It's a fun family launch coaster, but it lacks the intensity to be considered much more and is greatly overrated by many.

Fun...FAMILY...coaster? Lacks intensity?! Talking out of your arse mate...

Greatly overrated by many...Again, this is just wrong. Greatly overrated by some, fine, but not by many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Fun...FAMILY...coaster? Lacks intensity?! Talking out of your arse mate...

Greatly overrated by many...Again, this is just wrong. Greatly overrated by some, fine, but not by many.
Wow. Seriously? Still? As for my arse-talking, I was giving someone else's opinion, not mine -- something I made clear many times. As for the apparent inability to accept the fact that many find the coaster overrated, the assertion that this is "just wrong" rather than "not at all my experience," I can no longer comment on this. Believe what you like and listen to no one else.

Reactions: CCF