What's new

Through Sentiment Only

Edward M

Strata Poster
While I haven't ridden it since 2012, I think Millennium Force and Beast's high placement in my rankings are likely cause they were both the coasters that kickstarted my enthusiast days. Even if they end up being crap (Beast looking more likely for that than MF), I still think they'll have a good placement in my top for sentiment alone. I'm a sentimental guy what can I say!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Oh boy, classic roller coasters, I'm a sucker for all of them. Because it is top of mind with the removal of the Wildwater Kingdom slides recently, the Big Dipper at Geauga Lake was a top sentiment - it was the roller coaster growing up in Northeast Ohio (The Double Loop too for those willing to go upside down). Once Geauga Lake closed, Big Dipper turned into a bastion of last hope for the property and it's deep history dating back to 1887 - still standing for years as Cedar Fair sought to sell off the property. So, it's removal last year was not just a loss to roller coaster history, but an entire region's past tourist history.

I had Ravine Flyer II ranked as my #1 woodie for years too out of sentiment (and it's still a damn good ride too) - the notion of resurrecting the original Ravine Flyer concept was so romantic, and gave a cool modern view on thrill rides of the early 20th century.

Finally, my current avatar set is of the Wildcat at Idora Park, a former amusement park in Youngstown, Ohio. While I never had the chance to visit the park (it suffered a business ending fire in the mid-80s), it was a derelict structure I remember seeing for years growing up (the park property is located next to a state park). I also enjoyed seeing nature reclaim the old wooden structure, and imagining what it would have looked like in it's heyday.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Oh boy, classic roller coasters, I'm a sucker for all of them. Because it is top of mind with the removal of the Wildwater Kingdom slides recently, the Big Dipper at Geauga Lake was a top sentiment - it was the roller coaster growing up in Northeast Ohio (The Double Loop too for those willing to go upside down). Once Geauga Lake closed, Big Dipper turned into a bastion of last hope for the property and it's deep history dating back to 1887 - still standing for years as Cedar Fair sought to sell off the property. So, it's removal last year was not just a loss to roller coaster history, but an entire region's past tourist history.

I had Ravine Flyer II ranked as my #1 woodie for years too out of sentiment (and it's still a damn good ride too) - the notion of resurrecting the original Ravine Flyer concept was so romantic, and gave a cool modern view on thrill rides of the early 20th century.

Finally, my current avatar set is of the Wildcat at Idora Park, a former amusement park in Youngstown, Ohio. While I never had the chance to visit the park (it suffered a business ending fire in the mid-80s), it was a derelict structure I remember seeing for years growing up (the park property is located next to a state park). I also enjoyed seeing nature reclaim the old wooden structure, and imagining what it would have looked like in it's heyday.
Jesus, we’d get on.

Might as well throw in a mention of Euclid Beach if you’re talking lost Ohio amusement history.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Jesus, we’d get on.

Might as well throw in a mention of Euclid Beach if you’re talking lost Ohio amusement history.
Haha oh man, Euclid could have volumes written about it, especially as all that remains is one archway; the rest is apartment complex.

800px-Euclid_Beach_Arch.jpg

Euclid Park was fantastically known for having a good record of their Flying Turns roller coaster, which helped inspire the same name-sake coaster design at Knoebels (though the Knoebels layout is most similar to the Riverview Park Flying Turns in Chicago).

EB-turns1.jpg

EB-turns2.jpg

Speaking of which, Lakeview Park in Dayton was the site of the first Flying Turns roller coaster prototype. All of these amusement parks were closed in the mid-60s though, which makes photo record and modern memory difficult to find!

... Sorry for turning this into a chronology of old 20th century roller coasters. :p Back to topic!

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I think the main one for me is Nemesis. currently in my top 10, and seems to magically get shifted up a place whenever a new coaster enters my top ten!

Then again, I'm pretty sure I give it a good critical review every visit - and still love it to bits - rarely leave disappointed!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
My childhood rarely involved anything outside the Merlin parks apart from a couple of trips to Orlando in the 90's and SFOT. Texas Giant for me, was amazing, but I was only 10 at the time, and I believe it's my first cred as no family member has given me one from before 1992. So there's that.
Another one with the Vampire, loved that ride from when I first rode it in 94 until now, just a fun ride with a fab station.
Lastly Oblivion, my first trip to the towers was Oblivion's opening year and was the first experience of a really large coaster. Oblivion was incredible in those first few years and I preferred riding that to any other coaster at Alton, including Nemesis, for a while. I still love it, and the other DMs just don't capture the fear that the prototype perfectly generates.