What's new

Thorpe's E-Mail response to the Bad Saw opening

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Helllooo...

I know, its another stupid SAW thread, but i think some of you might like to comment on what Thorpe had to say about SAW not being open on the Coaster Club preview:

Hi David,

On behalf of THORPE PARK I would like to apologise for any disappointment that you may have experienced on Thursday 12th March when you were invited to the Park for a Coaster Club preview of SAW – The Ride.

Unfortunately the rollercoaster was experiencing teething problems, as can happen with new rides, and the Park have had Gerstlauer on site to rectify the problems that have incurred since they installed the ride. As a result we did not open SAW – The Ride that day and also cancelled our media event in the morning.

As an official spokesperson for THORPE PARK for the launch of SAW – The Ride, Andy Hine was present to explain the situation to you and to let you know that Colossus and Rush would open for you to enjoy.

Everything was being done at the time to get SAW – The Ride up and running for you and due to the efforts of the Park staff to reopen the rollercoaster, the area around it had to be closed.

If you could please pass this email and our apologies on to the fellow enthusiasts that were invited to the event from you coaster club, I would be very grateful.

The bit i like is:

As an official spokesperson for THORPE PARK for the launch of SAW – The Ride, Andy Hine

And i swear on the day he said "I have been asked to talk to you by the management...

Ben

CF Legend
divvie_dave said:
Colossus and Rush would open for you to enjoy.

LOL

I like the idea that anyone would enjoy Colossus!

And I like the way they were too scared to say any of this to our faces...

Or offer every site the same compensation...

marc

CF Legend
If they had peoples emails to invite them to the day then they themselves should be the ones sending out the sorry emails.

Its done now am over it.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
General tip to everyone. When responding letters to angry people, using ALL CAPS in some words won't make them less angry.

And the rest of that is the usual blablabla. Things that do happen, explained using a lot of filler words and excuses to make it sound like it was an event out of their control (which it was anyways).

Mark

Strata Poster
southend_marc said:
If they had peoples emails to invite them to the day then they themselves should be the ones sending out the sorry emails.

Its done now am over it.

Yep, I just got the exact same email. Sent over at about 10 this morning...

Emmett

Giga Poster
The least they could do is hold another event for all the coaster club members who turned up. They could easily do something after closing hours and provide an ERT sesssion on Saw for everyone.
I think that's expecting too much. They were doing us a favour having the event in the first place, really.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Emmet said:
The least they could do is hold another event for all the coaster club members who turned up.

No, the least they could do would be to send out a lame-arse, generic e-mail. Oh, wait....

Aerith

Mega Poster
At the end of the day, Thorpe's rides break down a lot you should have prepared yourself since they can't control the fact it broke down. You have annual passes and Saw is not going anywhere.

Being coaster enthusiasts, you should understand the fact that when a ride breaks down, it breaks down. They cannot do anything about it accept try to get it up again.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, but they shouldn't, and you shouldn't have to prepare yourself to go to a theme park "expecting breakdowns". Hence the complaints and the letter of apology. They can't control breakdowns, but you CAN do everything in your power to try and avert them, or make sure that a fix is in place very quickly.

Having an engineer from Gerstlaur in for instance on opening day. If they had, then the ride would likely to have been operating on the Thursday, and possibly only down for the Saturday and not the Sunday (who knows, maybe even open for the Saturday too).

It's a simple thing, and something which should have been in place as a matter of course for a new installation - an engineer to overlook the first couple of days of full operation. I'm shocked it wasn't in place, and would have saved a lot of red faces...

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Some things can't be helped and 90% of breakdowns aren't Thorpe Parks fault, Kara.

Don't forget, most of their rides are far more technologically advanced than many of the park in Europe (bar the obvious). Breakdowns are expected, even Chessington get them. Everyday I worked there, without fail, I'd be attending atleast 2 evacuations on Dragon Falls, and you know how many times Bubbleworks breaks down in a single day. Stuck boats, jog your memory?

All parks breakdown, and I'd say that Chessington is on par with Thorpe Park. Hell, I remember shutting an area off 2 years ago because a bolt fell off the Vampire which nocked it out for 4 days. Oh and last year, Bubblework didn't open for a good 2 months because the engineers didn't fit the lift and runners in time.

Aerith

Mega Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
Some things can't be helped and 90% of breakdowns aren't Thorpe Parks fault, Kara.

Never said it was thorpe's fault did I! I understand that more becaus ei work in a theme park and i tend to be on Vampire when it breaks down! thorpes rides are piece's of machinery and they will break down! that is not gunna change either! :roll:

And uhh i was at chessington last year i know why bubbles didn't open sweetie! :wink:

marc

CF Legend
No not all parks have break downs as much as Thorpe and some others that have been mentioned.

Germany when we went 1 break down, a log flume.
USA when we went no break downs.
Orlando no break downs.
Paris no break downs.

If a park can not cope with maintance of a ride dont get the ride or get enough staff to cope.

Yes its not Thorpes fault a ride breaks, but what I find bad is they break the day the park opens after winter when they have meant to be worked on.

The parks I went to last year some are open every single day so if they can keep their rides open why can parks not open theirs when they have a 4 month break.

If some of our parks were in some other countries they would be shut by now and people would simply complain and not go.

Hense why I did not get a pass this year.

Aaron

Hyper Poster
This is going to look really vague and not thought out, but I assure you it's not, I just can't really elaborate because of my job...

I blame the owners

If you want me to explain you'll have to PM me or catch me on MSN.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Ha yer, park managers are often ****e.
Though mike Vallis is cool, it's a shame he's in Thorpe Park now but lets see if he can improve things.

A

Anonymous

This weekend just gone thorpe was great, barely any breakdowns, 2 small ones on loggers, and a sick cleanup on saw :)

marc

CF Legend
Yes but there was no Stealth and no Slammer and you said in your report you saw E stops on Samari.