What's new

Thorpe Park to get a Flying Coaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I think it could work quite well, i like the idea of the interaction with swarm. Nice work flyerman!

I cant see thorpe getting another B&M though. A Mack mega is what I'd wager my bets on for the next cred.

Lofty

CF Legend
The scale of the entire coaster is ridiculous, sorry 'bout it. The curve on the far left is about as tight as a mouse turn.

TheFlyerMan1

Roller Poster
That's because you're going slowly due to the MCBR about 60m ago. The MCBR is about 35-40ft off the ground. The turn is also taken on your back, and we all know how Galactica feels around some of its corners.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
TheFlyerMan1 said:
That's because you're going slowly due to the MCBR about 60m ago. The MCBR is about 35-40ft off the ground. The turn is also taken on your back, and we all know how Galactica feels around some of its corners.
That sounds like good enough engineering judgement to me. When can we start construction? ;)

Lofty

CF Legend
No, it's the fact that it's literally TINY, the scale of this thing is way way way off. If you compare it to the size of The Swarm, which isn't actually a 'large' coaster by footprint..

Dave

CF Legend
The size of that turn on the left is ridiculously small in scale, compare it to the size of Swarm's on the right, which is quite a small turn in it's self! Plus that's only a turn back into the station brake run.

Gazza

Giga Poster
TheFlyerMan1 said:
Okay, okay! I'll fix it! Don't hassle me about it!

Maybe have a look at real flying coasters too and do something that B&M trains can actually negotiate.

Eg on flyers, it seems that the low speed turns (around the loading station and before the lift hill) are around 7.5m radius.
Whilst full speed turns tend to be around a 15m radius, give or take depending on the speed of the train.
Also, the loading station and switch tracks either end seems to be 45m end to end.
`
But your's are quite blatantly far smaller than this. The only flyer that can do turns as tight as you are proposing are Zamperla Volares or a Vekoma stingray.

http://imgur.com/sUR7noy
sUR7noy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sUR7noy.jpg

Eg you have a loading station/switch area that is only 30m long, full speed turns out on the course with a radius of only 5m to 7m.
How is this physically possible for a big B&M flyer train to even get around, and without making the ride pull 7gs or whatever?

http://imgur.com/a/v8NRU
WwGlbpj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WwGlbpj.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend
I don't get why you're turning this topic into your 'skills' at overhead layout scaling? Can't you like, start a topic in the games section or something? It really doesn't make any form of sense to keep updating your fictitious design because; a) You don't work for MMM, or Thorpe and b) This ain't gonna happen?

TheFlyerMan1

Roller Poster
Lofty said:
I don't get why you're turning this topic into your 'skills' at overhead layout scaling? Can't you like, start a topic in the games section or something? It really doesn't make any form of sense to keep updating your fictitious design because; a) You don't work for MMM, or Thorpe and b) This ain't gonna happen?

Don't get all snarky on me, and besides, it's merely what I want to happen. Somebody at Thorpe Park did say that a B&M Flyer was going to be installed, but this was before Saw was announced. Saw took the place of the Flyer, Thorpe wanted to build a B&M Wing for 2012 so that they could maximise theming opportunities and add to the whole "OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!" vibe of 2012, and DBGT was added as an experiment to see what they could do with VR on a non-coaster ride.

I am not trying to say that I am at all skilled, and people were merely pointing out errors and mistakes with my maps. Please, look at your facts before making your statements.

In other news, I've reworked this flyer layout, here it is:
u5CQZDy.png

TheFlyerMan1

Roller Poster
That one sucks - and that's a compliment!

Anyway, Ben, I don't think that comments like that are going to leave too much of a good impression on yourself. I'm only observing trends and what officials at Thorpe Park have said in the past, as well as Thorpe's 'envelope' of thrill getting larger and larger.

mouse

Giga Poster
^ What have officials said to suggest they will get a flyer?

If Thorpe were to get a new B&M, a hyper is probably the only existing ride type that would add something new to the park. A flyer would offer some novelty, but inferno already has the inverted thing and Swarm already offers a floaty, flying effect. Sadly neither are very likely in the near future.

TheFlyerMan1

Roller Poster
There was one staff member back in circa 2009, I forgot their name, that had said that Thorpe would be getting a Flyer. I'm not sure if the ride was actually Saw which turned out to be a Gerstlauer Eurofighter, but they certainly said that Thorpe was getting a flying coaster.

Ben

CF Legend

No.

I do know what I'm talking about so don't be condescending to me, but what a staff member says in 2009 has NO weight now - even if it were true at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.