What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

.Will said:
As for Thorpe well the rides are there to give thrills I don't think anyone really cares what they look like or where they are. Though SAW looks amazing and isn't too bad.

I disagree. People would notice if a volcano themed coaster appeared in the Neptunes Beach area etc.
If Stealth didn't have it's themed station, surroundings, the atmosphere would be completely flat, and the GP would notice that. Not all of the rides are built just for thrills. Saw is an experience aswell as a painful, bumpy thrill ride.

.Will

Roller Poster

Stealth doesn't have a themed station. It is similar to Rita which is known for the fact that it is unthemed it has no station building to speak of. Yes the race control tower is nice and yes walking through a 10ft plastic tire is nice but apart from that it's very meh.

Nemesis Inferno is probably the second best looking coaster there after SAW. SAW's theme is good and I didn't actually say anything about the ride quality but yeah it's as rough as hell.

I really don't think that the GP care though. Everyone has put up with substandard Merlin theming before SAW and Th13teen were built so I really do think they have lost interest. Thing is despite the way Spinball looks or Rita it pulls the crowds. I think many people just go for the rides themselves and if they want to be blown away they go somewhere outside the UK.

Anyways back to Swarm personally I think it will look as good as SAW and Th13teen and will show that Merlin are prepared to theme rides which is good. It will make Thorpe look a hell of a lot better but a warzone right behind a speedway I don’t get the layout really but hey who am I to complain.

Ethan

Strata Poster

.Will said:
Stealth doesn't have a themed station. It is similar to Rita which is known for the fact that it is unthemed it has no station building to speak of. Yes the race control tower is nice and yes walking through a 10ft plastic tire is nice but apart from that it's very meh.

Rita is unthemed. Stealth has multiple themed buildings and structures scattered around the Amity Raceway area. Of course the tire doesn't count as theming, but there is theming on Stealth.

Saw is not a good looking ride. The shed looks good, kinda, but the rest looks damn ugly! Gravel and the ground, no other theming, foliage etc.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

.Will said:
I really don't think that the GP care though. Everyone has put up with substandard TUSSAUDS theming before SAW and Th13teen were built so I really do think they have lost interest. Thing is despite the way Spinball looks or Rita it pulls the crowds. I think many people just go for the rides themselves and if they want to be blown away they go somewhere outside the UK.

EFA as I'm bored of people just plumping Merlin into the same boat as the last era of Tussauds... And the DCI people...

This SHOULD be themed well... Dunno why we should have to leave the UK to be blown away be theming though, that sort of viewpoint is what's really stopping the park's from becoming excellent, rather than just good...

Wait and see...

nadroJ

CF Legend

Ethan said:
Saw is not a good looking ride. The shed looks good, kinda, but the rest looks damn ugly! Gravel and the ground, no other theming, foliage etc.

Of course there's no foliage you tit, it's themed to an abandoned warehouse on an industrial estate, like the one in the film. It's MEANT to look ugly, it's themed to Saw for god's sakes. Urgh. The fact that you pick up on it's ugliness proves that t's actually quite well-themed as an ugly old warehouse building.

Ethan

Strata Poster

nadroJ said:
Ethan said:

Of course there's no foliage you tit, it's themed to an abandoned warehouse on an industrial estate, like the one in the film. It's MEANT to look ugly, it's themed to Saw for god's sakes. Urgh. The fact that you pick up on it's ugliness proves that t's actually quite well-themed as an ugly old warehouse building.

I like tits, obviously you don't...

There is no atmosphere after the first drop. All the theming is crammed into the station. I think it should blend in with Canada creek more, because in my opinion! it would look better. Now some idiot will say "Oohh, but you don't want it to blend in, it's a different area of the park". I think the GP will know that a dodgy looking warehouse with SAW scribbled over it is not part of the creek.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

It's fooling no one that these themes are cheap and easy to do well, that's why they keep doing them. Personally I'd rather they did this than did a more cliche and common theme poorly like most parks do.

The special thing about Tussauds/Merlin (arguing about differences is stupid, most people were carried over form Tussauds to Merlin - most of the changes happened long before the takeover) is they go for really unusual themes. And they are often cheap and yet more convincing and immersive than a flamboyant alternative may have been.

As for coasters which have theming throughout the layout... Why do you think they are so rare? Maybe because, when you're traveling at speed on a roller coaster, it's a VISCERAL experience over a visual one. Theming the entirety of a coaster is, in almost all cases, a colossal waste of time and money. If you're going to do that, it should be through landscaping and done primarily to entertain non-riders and those who haven't ridden yet - or you need to change the focus of a roller coaster, which begs the question, why? Less is more. Unless you're Revenge of the Mummy, in which case more is ...wow. But even that has limited (and basic) theming in the true coaster sections. The themed elements behave more like a dark ride.

I cannot think of a single outdoors roller coaster which has theming throughout the layout, any help? (EDIT: I meant thrilling coaster, that is fast and forceful in some way) The only examples I can think of are clearly aimed at non-riders.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Joey said:
It's fooling no one that these themes are cheap and easy to do well, that's why they keep doing them. Personally I'd rather they did this than did a more cliche and common theme poorly like most parks do.

The special thing about Tussauds/Merlin (arguing about differences is stupid, most people were carried over form Tussauds to Merlin - most of the changes happened long before the takeover) is they go for really unusual themes. And they are often cheap and yet more convincing and immersive than a flamboyant alternative may have been.

As for coasters which have theming throughout the layout... Why do you think they are so rare? Maybe because, when you're traveling at speed on a roller coaster, it's a VISCERAL experience over a visual one. Theming the entirety of a coaster is, in almost all cases, a colossal waste of time and money. If you're going to do that, it should be through landscaping and done primarily to entertain non-riders and those who haven't ridden yet - or you need to change the focus of a roller coaster, which begs the question, why? Less is more. Unless you're Revenge of the Mummy, in which case more is omfg. But even that has limited (and basic) theming in the true coaster sections.

Not if parts of the coaster are slow, or if it fits in with a storyline. Expedition everest is themed on the first switch track at the top. Only riders can see that, and you are travelling slowly there.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Ethan said:
Joey said:

As for coasters which have theming throughout the layout... Why do you think they are so rare? Maybe because, when you're traveling at speed on a roller coaster, it's a VISCERAL experience over a visual one. Theming the entirety of a coaster is, in almost all cases, a colossal waste of time and money. If you're going to do that, it should be through landscaping and done primarily to entertain non-riders and those who haven't ridden yet - or you need to change the focus of a roller coaster, which begs the question, why? Less is more. Unless you're Revenge of the Mummy, in which case more is omfg. But even that has limited (and basic) theming in the true coaster sections.

Not if parts of the coaster are slow, or if it fits in with a storyline. Expedition everest is themed on the first switch track at the top. Only riders can see that, and you are travelling slowly there.
So, you want Saw to drop it's title as a thrill ride?

You can't have everything. It would be pointless and expensive.

Expedition Everest is the most expensive coaster in the word and, what a surprise, it still has pure roller coaster sections with little to no theming. And the only reason it is themed throughout is because the entire structure it sits on and in is a huge fake mountain.

Not all coasters need this level of detail - Saw works. You're put in a trap and the rest is left ambiguous to the rider. This actually is, arguably, more immersive in some ways than what Disney do. It's allowing you to form a narrative and have a brain and interpret the experience as you wish. Disney provide the set and the script and you have to follow it.

marc

CF Legend
The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Big thunder mountains are themed the whole ride, as is the matahorn :)

But neither of them are that fast or thrilling tbh.

marc

CF Legend
The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Sorry about the double post but everest theming is pants the yeti no longer works.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

marc said:
Big thunder mountains are themed the whole ride, as is the matahorn :)

But neither of them are that fast or thrilling tbh.
Exactly, and if they were fast or thrilling they'd lack such theming. Look at Disney's more intense coasters... oh look, none of them have theming throughout.

Ethan

Strata Poster

But a mountain wouldn't have theming inside because it's a mountain. Flying through the tunnels inside is exciting because it's dark, which isn't theming, but it's effective.

Of course it's fake, but a large chuck of the £50 million or whatever the cost was, was spend on the tibetan village and other theming items. Like I said earlier, in my opinion Saw would look better with trees. I would love to have near misses with them, I think it would add a fair amount to the outdoor section. And, they would obstruct some of your view on what is about to come next.

marc

CF Legend

With the faster Disney coasters what they lack with theming they make up with the sound track, California Screamin is a great example of that.

I think what Merlin have done with Raptor and what they might do with this is more than enough though. I would rather have a great coaster with 20% theming than a bad coaster with 20% or 50% theming e.g Saw. In other words I would rather the money be spent on a the actual ride than a tie in or have arsed theming.

Ethan

Strata Poster

marc said:
What the faster Disney coasters lack with theming they make up with the sound track, California Screamin is a great example of that.

I think what Merlin have done with Raptor and what they might do with this is more than enough though. I would rather have a great coaster with 20% theming than a bad coaster with 20% or 50% theming e.g Saw. In other words I would rather the money be spent on a the actual ride than a tie in or have arsed theming.

Is Saw actually that good of a coaster though?? -_-

AJ

Giga Poster

Saw doesn't need trees. Done.

Coasters don't need theming all the way round. Like joey said, if its all the way around, it should be done through landscaping and such.

Boom.

unlimitedcoaster

Mega Poster

Saw, we are aware of, is a poorly themed ride, lacking a lot. Hopefully, this ride will give itself a good theming (despite the cheesy name), and deliver alot more good criticism that I would expect. Lack of theming also goes with the budget, there is always a limit to how much of a budget they have for a specific ride. The Swarm will have pretty neat theming for the train, I am aware of. :)

Ethan

Strata Poster

AJ said:
Saw doesn't need trees. Done.

Coasters don't need theming all the way round. Like joey said, if its all the way around, it should be done through landscaping and such.

Boom.

We all have opinions. Nobody ever said it needs it, I said that in my opinion, it would look better. Boom?

Status
Not open for further replies.