What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Ollie

CF Legend
I'm a bit disappointed the "world first" Outer-banked turn inversion element hasn't been given a better name. In a world with JoJo rolls, banana rolls and dog tongues etc etc I think there should be a better name for it.

I'd suggest maybe sausage roll or an empirical roll as a better name, something to mark that it's in the UK. Does anyone else have any better ideas?
Thoosie Twist? 🤣

catsounds

Mega Poster
I'm a bit disappointed the "world first" Outer-banked turn inversion element hasn't been given a better name. In a world with JoJo rolls, banana rolls and dog tongues etc etc I think there should be a better name for it.

I'd suggest maybe sausage roll or an empirical roll as a better name, something to mark that it's in the UK. Does anyone else have any better ideas?
in my mind it will remain the monks roll ever since i saw someone post that here :p

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
We have our first non Mack riders!

John Burton, Jack Silkstone, Kieran Adams,Dominic Gardner and many more have ridden!
I'm so pleased they got a special ride, they've put everything and more into covering this project, their marketing has been worth way more than Thorpe's own thus far. They deserve every last second of that ride, so I'm glad they got to experience it before any sort of media / vip day.

Sadly there'll be plenty of people at the media / vip day (I assume there is one,) who I wouldn't say the same about.

I like Monk's Roll, Monk's Twist, Icarus Roll... Or how about a play on Exodus? ExoTwist, ExoRoll?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
*I hope the CF contingent isn't counted in that...* 😬
Nope, nobody that actually covers coasters as their main ‘niche’ is included. :)

But I’ve seen all sorts of different ‘travel vloggers’ and none related ‘influencers’ invited to these things over the last few years.

I guess I have to calm the green monster and remember why the parks do them… For exposure, and that those who only normally cover parks will only reach people who already know… Still… I may understand, but I don’t have to ‘like’ the fact! 🙈😂

Can you elaborate on that? I want some thoosie tea.

Icarus roll < outerbank roll

No one knows what icarus was but outerbank roll describes it simply.
Sorry no beans to spill… Just me being envious and wanting coaster people to ride coasters first haha.

Also… Outerbank roll is a bit boring by today’s standards, and a little obvious. It’s almost what you’d expect it to be called. As elements get sillier and sillier, I actually quite like the silly names. Mosasaurus Roll sounds better than it actually feels. 🙈😂

Last edited:

FogZog

Mega Poster
B
Nope, nobody that actually covers coasters as their main ‘niche’ is included. :)

But I’ve seen all sorts of different ‘travel vloggers’ and none related ‘influencers’ invited to these things over the last few years.

I guess I have to calm the green monster and remember why the parks do them… For exposure, and that those who only normally cover parks will only reach people who already know… Still… I may understand, but I don’t have to ‘like’ the fact! 🙈😂

Sorry no beans to spill… Just me being envious and wanting coaster people to ride coasters first haha.

Also… Outerbank roll is a bit boring by today’s standards, and a little obvious. It’s almost what you’d expect it to be called. As elements get sillier and sillier, I actually quite like the silly names. Mosasaurus Roll sounds better than it actually feels. 🙈😂
But at the end of the day. A mosasaurs roll is just a barrel roll

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
B

But at the end of the day. A mosasaurs roll is just a barrel roll
Yep it is… But it doesn’t feel like your grandad’s barrel rolls of old does it… I don’t think the hype was justified, don’t get my wrong, and it obviously is just a barrel roll, but it does feel like a step up in terms of the interesting way it’s entered, exited and profiled.

Hence the silly, but brilliant, name…

Anyway, we’re off on a tangent here, the Monk’s roll / Icarus roll / outerbank roll / ExoRoll is definitely a new element, and deserves an interesting name imo… Even if, from a nerdy, purist, point of view the ‘outerbank roll’ does make the most sense. :)

jasone

Roller Poster

Agreed about this. I saw a travel influencer causing a fuss on Thorpe parks instagram the other day, basically saying they weren’t messaging her back. Obviously trying to get in on the hyperia opening/VIP day, and they just seemed so self entitled.

I get why Thorpe would invite them, but they are annoying as hell. Part of me is also probably just jealous. Haha.

Having said that, I absolutely love that they’ve given people like Jack and Dominic etc opportunities like this. They live and breathe it, and it’s been lovely to share their genuine excitement and enthusiasm. Excited to see their reactions to their first rides.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Seems like Dom's has been to deny that it even happened! 🤣 I wonder if the park's told him to keep quiet or something. Doesn't make a lot of sense if that is the case, especially seeing as there's multiple videos of them all riding!

They were recording for a TV show; I believe they've been asked to keep opinions to themselves until it airs / ride opens.

Ultimately their opinion right now will be meaningless. If they don't like it, they'll have to say they did. And if they did like it and think it's the best ride ever, no one would believe them as they'd think they've just been told to say that.