What's new

Thorpe Park Fright Nights - How Frightening?

choluby

Roller Poster
I'm not on about the rides, but how scary are the Thorpe Fright Nights? (I mean monsters and spooky things and that kind of thing)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Unless anything has changed since last year, the actual park itself isn't "scary". Obviously, they have the halloween attractions, but if you don't want to go into them, then it's basically just being in the park at night; it's not like a lot of American parks where the whole place is filled with actors etc.

Anyway, I haven't been this year, but others have, so I'm sure you'll get a more recent response soon.

Ollie

CF Legend
Like Gavin said, unless you go in the mazes it's not scary at all. Just the theme park as normal but open later to ride at night.

The mazes are hard to say. They're obviously built to try and scare people. But it depends on so many things like if yo scare easy, what you're scared off and also what the actors are like. The mazes at Thorpe are kinda decent (short though) and they have a nice line up. Experiment 10 is meant to be the scariest maze yet as it kinda breaks the rules and is completely different to the other mazes (if you do it then don't read up on ANYTHING about the maze). Asylum is also usually the most popular and favourite maze year on year.

So yeah. It's scary. But it all depends on how easily you get scared etc.

nadroJ

CF Legend
They've really upped the ante this year. The Saw area was fab, with Live actors running around, spooky music etc. They really could do with some fog, but what are you going to do?

The mazes are a bit different depending on the person. I'm not really 'scared' by the mazes and tend to go around them giggling, but this year the new maze Experiment 10 almost had me in tears. Like I said, I don't scare easily, but this caught me off guard and I was very impressed considering it's Thorpe.

Mostly it's just a fab evening, you get to ride the coasters in the dark, there's a cool atmosphere, etc. I'd say it's more just 'spooky' than '**** scary'.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Last time I went they had the Circus of Horrors people dotted around the park in cages, doing there stuff. I thought that was pretty cool, not scarey though.

choluby

Roller Poster
thanks

nadroJ said:
They've really upped the ante this year. The Saw area was fab, with Live actors running around, spooky music etc. They really could do with some fog, but what are you going to do?

I'm not going to go in the mazes.

Are the actors just at Saw island or around the rest of the park?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Last year, the Saw actors were on Saw's island, mainly in the building. The only time you'll notice them elsewhere in the park is when they're walking off-park for a fag & coffee break.

choluby

Roller Poster
Josh73 said:
The mazes look really scary. How come you aren't goin' in any choloby?

I kinda want to go in experiment 10 even though I'll cry like a baby but my friends don't want to.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's a bunch of actors, in silly costumes who aren't allowed to touch you, in an old gravel works (or something) just outside of London. It's as scary as melon!

Lofty

CF Legend
furie said:
It's a bunch of actors, in silly costumes who aren't allowed to touch you, in an old gravel works (or something) just outside of London. It's as scary as melon!

Am I mistaken, but, Thorpe's ARE allowed to touch? ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
-lofty- said:
furie said:

Am I mistaken, but, Thorpe's ARE allowed to touch? ;)

Okay, allowed to touch, but you can come to absolutely zero harm. It's still scarier outside the mazes with the local populous than in them with actors :p

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
In fact I found the Saw maze bloody scary (I know it isn't a fright night maze), even if they can't harm you. They touched me to the point it could be harassment, and I haven't been as scared in a while, especially when it was only my friend and I who went in together, because the 6 in front of us ran out :/ They did a good job IMO.

choluby

Roller Poster
Pingu on drugs said:
In fact I found the Saw maze bloody scary (I know it isn't a fright night maze), even if they can't harm you. They touched me to the point it could be harassment, and I haven't been as scared in a while, especially when it was only my friend and I who went in together, because the 6 in front of us ran out :/ They did a good job IMO.

I you really want them to stop and you ask them will they?

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Did Experiment 10 the other week... The first half was ok, the chamber got me but then that was it. It was tame, tame, tame! I think its down their with other lame mazes like The Curse.

Saying that though, Asylum was pants too this year.

mouse

Giga Poster
nadroJ said:
^Pretty sure if you're properly panicking they'll get you out of the maze.
If the actors can see that you're really scared, they do kind've pick on you, from what I saw in his video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1_lwG8yUAY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

But yeah, if you really are panicking like hell, they might show you the way out.

I can't go in any until I look over 12. Damn my smallness. :(

Ollie

CF Legend
^You don't have to look over 12. Anyone can go in the mazes as they just say it's not 'recommended' for anyone under 12.

Lofty

CF Legend
mouse said:
nadroJ said:
^Pretty sure if you're properly panicking they'll get you out of the maze.
If the actors can see that you're really scared, they do kind've pick on you, from what I saw in his video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1_lwG8yUAY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

But yeah, if you really are panicking like hell, they might show you the way out.

I can't go in any until I look over 12. Damn my smallness. :(

Um, have to tell you, that's for TV, they'd do that to get more air-time (Not the coaster kind OBV).

Plus, if you're really panicking and you ask to get out, they HAVE to let you out. It's that simply. If people are literally having a panic attack, you've got to do 3 things;

-Tell them to wait with you (In character).
-Snap out of Character and calm them down, telling them they'll be ok and it's all just a performance.
-Get them out as soon as possible, make sure they're ok, then get your manager/producer to come and sort them out.

I don't know if Thorpe's is the same, but that's what we teach our new actors/actresses.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Forgive me, but it just sounds like you should be nowhere near Thorpe Park for Fright Nights. I'd head to Legoland, or Chessington if you're feeling brave :lol: