What's new

Thorpe Park Fright Nights 2013

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Just to update everyone, the preview night was last night and from the initial reviews it seems to be pretty good. Apparently Cabin in the Woods is amazing, sounds absolutely hectic, and it's apparently really unique. Asylum is meant to be as good as ever but longer and with more actors, Bloody Valentine is apparently very well themed, but abit too similar to Experiment 13. You're next people are meant to be good too, but the Blair Witch Scarezone I have heard is pretty bad, it doesn't work very well apparently...

Ethan

Strata Poster
I heard the same, but that You're Next is pointless and awfully executed. And apparently the Asylum's siren is still too quiet!

marc

CF Legend
As what happens every year will they actually keep the same number of actors on throughout the event.

For the last few years everyone who went on the first few nights was then let down when they went later.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Ah I have only heard one review of You're next so they were probably just lucky. Shame, that film deserves more! I must admit though hearing back from the Blair Witch scare zone just annoys me, how was that film ever going to work in a conventional scarezone/maze? Has anyone else seen the costumes for the actors in it? *spoilers* They're effectivevly very pale people dressed entirely in black *end of spoilers* It's just awful. Another worrying thing I have just read is apparently Bloody Valentine only has Harry Warden (creepy gas mask miner) once... I hope this is just a first night blunder, as otherwise that sounds appalling! But I must admit, Cabin in the Woods sounds spectacular! I really can't wait to go to that maze, I won't spoil any of the details that I have heard, but it sounds unique!

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ All the reviews I've read have said that they had multiple Harry Wardens that were placed well around the maze?

Lofty

CF Legend
Went tonight - it's FAR from a perfect event. I've created a topic in the report section. To summarise:

Cabin in the Woods: Good initial idea, becomes boring. Poorly executed.
My Bloody Valentine: Good fun. The Strongest attraction there.
The Asylum: Same old story, good fun.
The Blair Witch Project: Diabolical.
Saw Alive: Still ****.

For the more detailed review, go here:

http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=36852

nath

Roller Poster
Took a girl to Thorpe Park saturday, to experience fright night but it sucked this year! Out of the whole day managed 2 rides, 2 mazes! Cannot actually believe how busy it was, queued for well over an hour for cabin in the woods before we even reached the actual que line! Jesus..

Any idea why it was so bad this year que wise? It looked as though they were selling far too many fast track tickets, which stopped the normal que from even moving forward..

Bit annoyed too as the girl i took came all the way from Liverpool to experience that!

EDIT: Lost the login to my old old account :/ thought this was it but clearly not ha

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ I went the same day, the queues were long, but we got on 12 rides and 3 mazes.

It's about queuing intelligently! Don't just queue for a ride you want to go on if it's a 3 hour wait, ride other things.

And I'm guessing it was so busy because it's a Saturday, and this year's event has been promoted like there's no tomorrow, so everyone knows about it. Good on Thorpe Park to be honest. Yes, it means longer queues for us, but they're raking in the money now because that little more effort they put into this year's event.

I enjoyed the mazes we did on Saturday. We were in the first 20 groups to go in the Cabin in the Woods, we had a good time. We queued slightly too long for My Bloody Valentine because the woman letting groups in (who was actually lovely) was letting in all fastracks and nobody from the main queue. I also got spat on my an actor there which wasn't pleasant.

The Asylum was fun, as ever. I'm just sad that there was no park wide theming, and the roaming You're Next "actors" were just... Cringe, really.

I still enjoyed myself though! Very fun day.

Ethan

Strata Poster
To be fair, you did go after Halloween so all the actors have lost enthusiasm... What did you expect? :D

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ No, I don't expect, and that wasn't even the case... The standard has to be kept up, no matter what. I've experienced this event before and after halloween, and its the same.. I've only spoken about it now because it was below standard on both occasions and now it needs to be heard. I'm tired right now, but I'll post my full email that I'll be sending to Merlin.

Have to say though - My Bloody Valentine was an amazing maze. Its a shame it was the shortest maze :(

Martyn B

CF Legend
Sorry to dig up a sortof old topic, but I just wanted to add some of my thoughts.

Honestly, I was well pissed off with how **** it was. Last time I went to FN was.... 2006ish, when the Circus of Horrors was there and I loved it. This year though, there was just the mazes, and rides in the dark. No props or theming, or anything around the park to even suggest it was a halloween event....wtf?

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
I know what you're saying Martyn. Which is a shame as the park wide theme of being a horror movie picture was a great idea. But other than the audio, pretty much nothing changed. The lighting, which could still be better, was a little improved. I know Thorpe can't do a Universal, but I hope much more effort goes to park wide theming next year. The You're Next actors were a nice touch but I only saw them once. I think with The Asylum having to be changed next year, it'll be turned into a You're Next maze.

If they could just get a few fog machines, more actors and any bits of theming (even Merlin's beloved bashed up cars) would be an improvement. I also wouldn't mind a one or two shows around the park. Like get the audience to participate in a Saw trap or something. It's just a shame the entertainments departments apparently getting the lowest budget. But I hope the same theme returns so Thorpe have the mazes ready and can just focus on the park.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
I must agree, there was just nothing to suggest it was Fright Nights around the park, mind you Scarefest was exactly the same! After seeing some of the amazing things Port Adventura and other parks have done it just seems a shame they are wasting their opportunity.

And in all honesty I am glad they have finally decided to do away with The Asylum, I did it three times over Fright Nights, and whilst the finale was amazing, the rest of the maze was completely underwhelming and didn't stack up against the ToT finale. I can definitely see them changing it to a Texas Chainsaw Massacre themed maze next year which would be amazing! I must admit I am excited to see what they do, My Bloody Valentine and Cabin in the Woods were fantastic!

Lofty

CF Legend
To be honest, they should go back to their own IP's, they had much better reviews and people actually respected what they created. Yes, using Lionsgate was good for publicity and gained a lot of interest, but, what did it actually add to the event? I'd love to know the gate figure difference to see if it actually gained them anything or not.