What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

nealbie

CF Legend
Re: Thorpe Park construction?

It's probably not far off, 2000ph is 5.5 people every 10 seconds. I can believe that, the ride is pretty much always moving.

I don't know why Tomb is so slow to leave the station, the batchers are usually really good; but then you sit on the ride waiting for an eternity to leave the station.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Been there before when staff have explained that on off peak days they only operate 3 trains and need one sat on each platform for h&s reasons. So only one is in the ride area at any one time. I've also been there when staff don't bother to say anything.

Alex23

Roller Poster

From what Lewis mentioned had been trademarked and previous rumours of a Dr Who dark ride if you do a quick Google search there are a few links. Using the Dr Who Wikipedia there are a few interesting articles, the first is the "Clockwork Droid".

The latter crashed in Earth's distant past and remained hidden until the Victorian era when their control node tried to repair the ship with both organic and mechanic material from Victorian London to take them to the "promised land".

This would fit in with the teaser image and also the "Chronicles of London" trademark. They were also androids which could fit in with the Automaton trademark. In addition there is an article on the site for "Automatons" although with the definition of the word being "a self-operating machine" it is quite a general trademark.

I could be putting 2+2 together and making 5 though :lol:

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team

I don't see it being Dr. Who themed, especially as Thorpe have just opened an attraction based on an ITV show.

Dr. Who would fit in very well for Thorpe's new target audience - too well, in fact. Dr. Who is a logical choice for a family/thrill dark ride - therefore Thorpe Park won't use it. The idea is too good for them. They'll buy an IP that's way less appropriate and way less popular. If 'I'm A Celeb' demonstrates anything, it's that Thorpe are pretty rubbish at picking IP's.

I'm hoping they use an original concept instead. I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Merlin are good with original concepts. Hex, Sub Terra, The Swarm and The Smiler all have excellent, detailed back stories and themeing. They will probably do a better job with an original dark ride than one themed to an IP that was popular 7 years ago.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

I'm not really sure what Joey's getting at either. don't see how Chronicles of London would be linked to Inferno and this ride is a much larger scale than Sub-terror. Was ST really a massive fail anyway? It can't have been that expensive to create and it's just a filler attraction that helps bring the Nemesis brand to a new generation. Personally, I think they've done very well with it, although staffing it long term with actors was always going to be a problem.

Back to the dark ride then. When I first heard Automatons and Victorian London I had the same thought as Alex 23. It reminded me of those Doctor Who villains. Still, if they were going to use a Dr Who ip, wouldn't they get in there early to advertise that? Also, how would that sit with Paramount Park? I think it's more likely to be thier own knock off design along a similar theme.

nadroJ

CF Legend

What about something like a Jekyll and Hyde style of thing? We all know how Merlin love their themes to be on the darker side of things, and J+H fits in with the Victorian London thing...

SouthCoaster47

Roller Poster

Well seeming as swarm is still relatively new and knowing Merlin and how they like to 'share' their coasters I doubt its going to be a hyper coaster and probably going to be a dark ride like Nemesis sub-terra. So we can look forward to a coaster next year.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

^ It's already been confirmed to be a dark ride?

I heard a strange rumour a few weeks ago, one of those "friend of a friend who knows someone who could know something" type of affairs, and honestly it sounded ridiculous, but then the more I thought about it, it makes sense for Thorpe Park, seeing as they thought that 'I'm a celebrity' was a good idea.

Anyways, I heard that Merlin have sunk a lot of money into obtaining the rights of Derren Brown for this new attraction. But yeah, I don't have any sort of real source, and the rumour could be as dumb as it sounds but Merlin do tend to make strange descisions right?

3Dimensions

Mega Poster

silenthillXD said:
. Still, with the information we have, which isn't much, I am placing my bets on a Dr Who themed dark ride, with the Doctor, Vastra, Strax and Jenny hunting down Jack the Ripper. (Keeping in mind this has been mentioned in an episode of the show before) Or if they weren't going for an IP, I would hope they'd do something with the dungeons branding and make a Jack the Ripper themed dark ride, which could admittedly be too scary for the family audience.

Pretty sure that the Paramount park had exclusive UK rights to Dr Who (and Sherlock) for rides and other attractions.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Crazycoaster said:
Anyways, I heard that Merlin have sunk a lot of money into obtaining the rights of Derren Brown for this new attraction. But yeah, I don't have any sort of real source, and the rumour could be as dumb as it sounds but Merlin do tend to make strange descisions right?

I remember hearing a similar rumour about a year or so ago actually. It did sound utterly ridiculous at the time and, to be honest, still does. It doesn't really fit in with the online plans either in my opinion. However, the general premise could be interesting for a dark ride (something that is based on 'big' illusions and the like). So I would be open to that sort of general theme...

3Dimensions said:
Pretty sure that the Paramount park had exclusive UK rights to Dr Who (and Sherlock) for rides and other attractions.

I don't think that it has exclusive rights, just ordinary rights. Any articles that I've read about it have been open to interpretation and do implicitly include a lot of 'ifs' in my opinion.

pitchnoir

Mega Poster

Serious vertical construction

Lofty

CF Legend

I'm definitely still holding to my guns for a Simworx Immersive Tunnel.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

Whatever it is (hoping it's an SFX coaster), it better be space-themed. Space-themed dark attractions are always the funnest.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

elephant58 said:
Whatever it is (hoping it's an SFX coaster), it better be space-themed. Space-themed dark attractions are always the funnest.
To be honest I wouldn't hold out hope for an SFX coaster, the track we've seen in Dubai for one is massive, and considering the space Thorpe has for this attraction, it just wouldn't work. Also I daren't think how much those things cost. As much as i want a coaster in the space, at this point it's all but confirmed it's some form of dark ride system.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

From what I've heard, the track for the Ferrari World one is big, because it's mostly outside?

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

elephant58 said:
From what I've heard, the track for the Ferrari World one is big, because it's mostly outside?
I don't think it is outside. Are you thinking of Flying Aces, their other new coaster? Also surely the track size doesn't alter weather inside or out.