What's new

Thorpe Park 2012 Updates

STC

Mega Poster
Ethan said:
Random question but... I know the height limit is 300ft. So what's stopping them from building a 200ft drop tower for 2013 (as an example)? What am I missing?
Nothing I guess, but they already have a very good drop tower. There are more pressing issues than the replacement of Detonator, one of the better rides in the park. :)

Will

Strata Poster
^
Straying off topic a little perhaps, but none of the ones I've been on are a patch on Detonator :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
STC said:
Ethan said:
Random question but... I know the height limit is 300ft. So what's stopping them from building a 200ft drop tower for 2013 (as an example)? What am I missing?
Nothing I guess, but they already have a very good drop tower. There are more pressing issues than the replacement of Detonator, one of the better rides in the park. :)
Thorpe may be stupid from time to time, but they're not Canada's Wonderland stupid. ;)

Mark

Strata Poster
Thekingin64 said:
Thorpe Park said:
After careful consideration, we have made the decision to restrict the 2012 opening days of SAW Alive to just the Fright Nights period. We are sorry for any disappointment that this may cause but we are excited at the prospect of working on the attraction to ensure that when it returns over the Halloween period it will truly live up to it's description as the world's most extreme live action horror maze.

That may be part of the "Selected Dates Only" thing but here it is anyway.

Don't want to say it buutttt..... Actually... I do want to say it.... I told you so.

I said waaaaay back when this thing was first announced that it would never last as a permanent attraction. The main reason being that it would need a lot of money pumping into it to pay the 'actors'. Now that popularity has waned it is no longer viable for the overheads.

dominoes

Mega Poster
Does anyone know anything about these rumors that a new Flat Ride may be being built over Mrs Hippo's Fungle Safari?

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ They were talking about it on another forum. One guy (who i'm guessing works there) keeps hinting that they have 'plans' for that area.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
It's based off the last MTDP where Fungle Safari has been earmarked as a potential flat ride site with a few others...

Could be anything, anywhere...

dominoes

Mega Poster
It's been closed off, a fence has gone up, and there is a plan that suggests it is a possible area of a flat ride.

Thorpe-Park-MTDP-Masterplan.jpg

Ethan

Strata Poster
I think they do. They are all meh except for Rush, Det and I suppose Samurai (which isn't amazing anyhow). I still think they should replace Detonator for a bigger drop tower with a larger capacity and restraints which don't get stuck closed. It's a good ride, but it doesn't attract that much attention, which I guess is a good thing for visitors but bad for the park as it makes a good queue cutter for the bigger attractions.

Thing is, what would they get? Top-spins are old, although a double sided floorless model could slip in nicely. Can't thing of many flats with small footprints which would fit into Thorpe.

dominoes

Mega Poster
^You think they should get rid of Detonator? I love that ride! It's the only ride that still scares me. Not even Apocolypse scares me that much.

But I have no idea what could fit. I was thinking a kiddy ride, but then again, the bananna boat is right next door. Maybe it could be something like a Disco or Chaos?

Ethan

Strata Poster
Oh I love Detonator too, but I just wish they would replace it with a more reliable and taller one.

I don't think a Disco style ride would appeal to the marget market would it? They don't feel very exciting to me, but I suppose it would give people something else to ride is they hate coasters and larger flats. As with a Chaos, would people think it was too similar to Zodiac and Samurai? Who knows...

Let's just hope it's not another water ride :)

dominoes

Mega Poster
^A little question. Do the company make a version on Detonator that is taller? Because I love that ride because of it's little launch downwards and the loose seatbelt.
Also, I didn't think Disco was like a carnival ride. I mean the ride like Cobra at Chessington.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yeah that's what I meant too... My point stands :) About the drop tower though, I think Fabbri makes a 200ft model! That would be nice, although capacity is still an issue. In fact it would be more of an issue!

I agree about the loose restraints and the launch though, I think that's what makes it special :p Not special enough to prevent me wanted it to be replaced though...

Martyn B

CF Legend
Parking at Thorpe is soon going to match Alton. Its gone up this week to £4, so if I'm right in thinking, thats 2 increases this year, as I'm certain it was £2 last June, and I only paid £3 last weekend.

coasterboy

Mega Poster
dominoes said:
^A little question. Do the company make a version on Detonator that is taller? Because I love that ride because of it's little launch downwards and the loose seatbelt.
Also, I didn't think Disco was like a carnival ride. I mean the ride like Cobra at Chessington.

They do models at 30M, 40M and 60M. Might be an 80M version as well, but I'm not sure about that one.