What's new

Things you hate when people say to you.

BBH

Giga Poster
Whether you reply to their inquiry or not, what really ticks you off when somebody asks something?

For me, it would be, "How'd you get so damn tall?" or "Hey Joe, guess WHAT?! Hi."

marc

CF Legend
Make gay jokes as they think its ok to as they are friends with me.

Same goes with Jewish jokes.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
"Damn you're one sexy SOB, can we just go ****, like, right now?"

It's fun at first, but it gets annoying after a while...

:lol:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^I know exactly what you mean. :p
Youngster Joey said:
I see what you did there. :wink:
And it annoys me a hell of a lot more than you.

jayjay

Giga Poster
There's always the classic "I'm not racist* but..."

The one that always irks me though is any sentence starting along the lines of "back in my day," or "kids these days," or "this generation." I'm not doubting some aspects of life have got worse, but some have undoubtedly got better and anyhow, the human brain disposes of negative memories more rapidly.

*racist can be replaced with sexist, homophobic, xenophobic etc.

Edit: Apparently I can't spell xenophobic.

kimahri

CF Legend
jayjay said:
, xenaphobic etc.

lucy-lawless.jpg

I couldn't resist.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Could care less.

Main one is when morons try and defend their racist, deluded and unfounded views by claiming 'freedom of speech'.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
"No offense but..." usually followed by an obviouslly intentional harsh insult. If people are going to offend others I'd rather they didn't try to hide behind something they think justifies their comments because they obviously do mean offense.

Another one, although not so much an irritation but something I laugh at, when people who've never ever drawn before ask me "can you teach me to draw like you?"...I'm like "yeah, have you got 17 years?" :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
jayjay said:
The one that always irks me though is any sentence starting along the lines of "back in my day," or "kids these days," or "this generation." I'm not doubting some aspects of life have got worse, but some have undoubtedly got better and anyhow, the human brain disposes of negative memories more rapidly.

This. While life has changed and I may have many fond memories of things past that are no longer with us, the world is a much better place today than it ever was and a much safer place too. I don't understand anybody who thinks differently and tries to make a point of it. Yes, remember the past and anecdote it to death, but don't ever think it was really better than what anyone is currently experiencing.

Smithy said:
Could care less.

I'll defend wording phrases to the hilt where the source is ambiguous or unknown, or the person complaining is just straight up wrong (sorry, but a faucet is different thing to a tap in English and the Americans use the correct version - though obviously being English, we decide which si the correct version and we've changed our language so our incorrect use is now considered correct to the British, but it's still wrong :p

However, there is NO excuse for could care less. It takes the brains of a donkey turd to work out that what you're saying is just drivel in any context except the most sarcastic or if you really, REALLY do care.

Enigma Shadow said:
"No offense but..."

Actually, I love using this and then coming out with the most obnoxious thing I can think of to cause the most offence. Not seriously meaning it obviously, but just for the lols. I do it all the time to Marc with gay and anti-Semitic jokes ;)

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Once I'd actually worked out the question being asked, which was today's biggest challenge...

... The one that gets on my tits is the popular-with-my-work colleagues "I'm not being funny, but...". Okay so you are then, brill...

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I'm sure anyone who has a few extra pounds hates this one as much as I do, "big guy" or any variant of it, chief, boss, etc. Just stop, I get it. I don't walk around going up to you and say "hey slim jim" or something like that. It's different if it's a close friend, but if it's someone I don't even know, I just get extremely annoyed by it.

Also if says any text acronym like LOL or OMG. Talk like a human, not like a **** retard.

marc

CF Legend
I hate it when people in shops say "thanks boss" when you pay for something. I cannot stand it.

kimahri

CF Legend
After a long think I have 2 cases of this from 2 snivvely little ****, respectively.

First little twat is some arse who got a bunch of money and has the emotional capabilities of a plank who loves to say 'Oh, right' to the point where she has entire conversations with someone consisting of that.

The second bitch has this laugh, which still counts in my opinion, that she does when she's talking about something but when you know her you know that laugh is put on and you know she's going to a smelly cocked right after it making snide comments about you after you leave.

My work is filled with love and often described as a "little family". **** off.

Mike

Giga Poster
Saying a racist joke because they think I'm cool with it.

You'd might as well say the same for jokes about any nationality, religion, belief, sexual orientation, the way people look, the way people act...etc...etc.
In my opinion, saying the joke directly to the person that fits the category should be ok, as, after all, it is just a joke. Although it should be noted that there's a major difference between a joke and an offensive statement...

nadroJ

CF Legend
Mike said:
Saying a racist joke because they think I'm cool with it.

You'd might as well say the same for jokes about any nationality, religion, belief, sexual orientation, the way people look, the way people act...etc...etc.
In my opinion, saying the joke directly to the person that fits the category should be ok, as, after all, it is just a joke. Although it should be noted that there's a major difference between a joke and an offensive statement...

I disagree Mike. Being a woman, I find a lot of sexist jokes really offensive, but I'm supposed to stand there and laugh and act like it's funny otherwise I get told I should 'learn how to take a joke' and 'stop being so uptight, it was only a joke'. Jokes are a way of being able to say something really offensive but in a socially acceptable context. Like the whole, go make me a sandwich thing. It's said as a joke a lot of the time but I know for a lot of sexist guys it's getting across a view they believe in that would, outside of the joking context, be deemed as rude and sexist.

I suppose people offended by racist, homophobic, anti-semetic, etc, etc, jokes feel the same way. It's just about being respectful of people's feelings, and telling those kinds of jokes behind their backs when they're not around to hear it so can't get offended ;]

marc

CF Legend
That's the thing people don't think they hurt as their meant to be a friend but are they really thinking like that and just saying its a joke as they think they can get away with it?

Remember when I was 13 gay jokes and jokes about being Jewish were said to hurt as that's what it was like then. Yes now days people accept a lot more but it takes me back to being 13 and being bullied at school.

That's the problem with them jokes as you don't know what the persons actually been through.

This is why I no longer speak to any of the people I knew when I was a teenager.

Plus not everyone can take a joke and they can react badly to one, anyone remember Lightwater :). I also remember the moaning on here after the Norfolk live years ago. So no even jokes to a persons face are sometimes not on as they can be taken as insult and even meant as one. It's so easy to say only joking or put a smiley face at the end of an insult. Sorry that does not make it ok.

I'm not saying dont joke but I don't think they should ever be made personal.

There's a very thin line between piss taking and joking.

Also hate it when people say your wrong just for not agreeing with them. Then you get accused of moaning just because you don't think certain things are the best in the world. Sorry that I don't agree with everything people say be it in real life or on here, we are allowed our own views and I will voice mine even if its differently to 100 people.

Colossus

Giga Poster
What annoys me with this is when somebody makes a racist or homophobic comment and you call them out on it, they're reply is usually something like "its okay, one of my best friends is gay," well, no, actually it is not okay, moron.

Also when people who are older then me call me "boy," I`m not a bloody boy, I`m 27 years old.