What's new

They don't make 'em like they used to...

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
I watched a couple of youtube vids over the weekend, one of Going Live at Alton Towers, one of Blue Peter at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. At Alton, they were blown away by the Corky and the Black Hole, at BPB, the Avalanche and the 'Nash garnered a similar response. Thing is, all four ride types are now something of an endangered species, which is odd, if they were once capable of blowing the mind. My question is, is this something that parks need to re-evaluate, and bring us a new generation of, and what other classic ride types are in need of re-imagining?

Jer

Strata Poster
Not exactly, They were all gimmicks, nothing but a fad, look at euro-fighters now who is to say whether or not they'll suffer the same fate. All in all they dont need re-imagining they're the past and especially in this industry it's best to keep looking forward. I mean look at Flying Turns in Knoebels, first of it's kind since 1929, it's been under construction since 2007.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^A major reason that Flying Turns has been under construction for so long is that they want to make sure it is as safe as can be. I'm sure a lot of coasters in the 20's weren't safe, yet they were opened. Plus, it seems like people go sue-crazy for even discomfort nowadays.

Jer

Strata Poster
^Well it's that, and because there hasn't been a flying turns since the 1920's they did not know what to expect while building it, so all these problems they've come across are new to them and they need to find solutions. There is nothing to look at, no records of mechanical problems.