• I dot my t's and cross my i's.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
jokerman said:
Even if you do poorly in English exams, it doesn't excuse you from correct spelling and grammar.

Surely that's a ridiculous thing to say? If you do poorly in English exams, surely the issue is down to not knowing the correct spellings and grammar?

It's a bit like saying that failing to breath under water is unacceptable as there's plenty of oxygen in H2O.

CMonster

Giga Poster
^ LOL.

I'm usually pretty good on those, unless I'm either distracted or whatever. So, Grammar Expert for me.

kimahri

CF Legend
I find it kinda funny and a little depressing that Pokemaniac is Norwegian yet is better at english than most people I know.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^We were given grades in it, you know.

I'm surprised that no one have mentioned the then/than issue yet. I've had it in my signature for months, yet people still confuse them. To repeat:

THEN is time-related, as in, "something happened, then something else happened" or situational "If you're doing that, then I won't do this"
THAN is used for comparison. For example, "El Toro is better/worse than Kingda Ka", or "This coaster is faster than this coaster"

Yet, I see "[coaster] is faster/longer/taller/wider/shorter/better/worse/etc then [coaster]" almost every day on here. It really makes me nuts.

The other common mistakes mentioned in this topic are also extermely annoying.

Oh, and it's spelled D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y. Thanks.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
furie said:
Surely that's a ridiculous thing to say? If you do poorly in English exams, surely the issue is down to not knowing the correct spellings and grammar?

It's not anymore. It's part of it, yes, but not the main focus at all. It's based more on content and ideas these days. Whether that's for better or worse is debatable.

I'm a stickler for spelling and grammar personally, but that's coming from a background of teaching English to foreigners. It's not a strong focus in most English classes in this country at all.

Oh, and note furie's correct spelling of "ridiculous". If I see it spelt "rediculous" just more time, I'm going to slap someone.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
I AM SOO A GRAMA EXPERT N I C U ALL DONT SPEEK PROPA INGLISH LYK WHA I DO!

*cough*OK, enough of that. I would say I'm a little bit of a grammar expert, but I'm not a grammar Nazi or anything like that. Unless KarlThrillDude ever returns to CF, that is. Urgh, that idea sends shakes down my spine!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm terrible. Especially on messengers. It's odd, because I make grammar mistakes despite knowing how it should be. I think my grammar, when I need it to be and check over what I've said, is good.

Spelling is another matter entirely. I don't have a ****ing clue. I just cannot remember how to spell things.

It's not anymore. It's part of it, yes, but not the main focus at all. It's based more on content and ideas these days. Whether that's for better or worse is debatable.
I'm obviously going to say it's for better, given my strengths and weaknesses... But I never understood why it was important to know what an adjective is, for example. How is knowing what the word adjective refers to useful? Knowing how to use them is, but I can't say I know anyone who struggles with that.

Those who struggle with spelling and grammar are given more allowances to make mistakes in exams. Or I certainly was, after taking a lengthy assessment to determine how retarded I was. I was allowed to make a percentage more errors per grade band, as well as extra time. I got B/C for English Lit and Lang. Dunno which way around.

I'm not sure I think the help given to dyslexics to pass is right or fair. It's help you won't get given in the free world. And now at uni, for example, I can probably get a free Macbook out of it. I'm not sure I understand how a free computer is going to help me learn. Stuff like dictaphones or audiobook versions of important items on the reading list would be far more sensible. But I shan't turn down a free Macbook...

Oh, and I spell ridiculous redicuous. I think if people pronounced things properly, I'd find a lot of spellings much easier. That and if English made any sense.

Chimley. Lol.

RCF

Strata Poster
I can be a grammar expert most of the time but occasionally I can get some things wrong but it's not too often. It does annoy me sometimes when people don't use correct grammar.

Lain

Giga Poster
I heart this thread. It is yummy.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many English people can be so bad at using their own language.

Not me though. I rule!

Dave

CF Legend
People who put "It depends weather I need to go to the shops or not" need to be shot. Its whether!

Pierre

Strata Poster
theirs a place and a time for grammer nazis and to be honest, i dont think there welcome at this time, lets arrange a time in cf-chat to discuss it and we'll talk things over they're

tks

Strata Poster
^ <3

If anyone can come up with a wittier term than "Grammar Expert", you can have a cookie.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I'm actually really bad with my grammar, I was shocked when I was told I recieved an A Grade for my English Language. It's my creative writing more-so, I have a very vivid imagination, mostly write about shocking situations such as death and the apocalypse; I'm pretty good with using similes/metaphors to describe violence.

Love it! :p

Slayed

Hyper Poster
If there was an official Grammar Nazi tattoo, I'd be standing in line :).

"Loose" and "lose" mistakes kill me. As does using "could of" instead of "could HAVE". It's probably my pseudo-Aspergers kicking in.

Then again, my boss has atrocious spelling - it's not clever!

I think it's a feature of reading - the more you read, the better your vocabulary, spelling, and grammar get (barring medical restrictions).

(NUMBER of people Plod :p).

Homer

Hyper Poster
Grammar expert, nothing sets me off more than somebody misusing a "your/you're/you are" or a "to/too" or a "they, there, their, they're." But the worst example is this;
1264210046308.png

IHeartArrow

Mega Poster
^That doesn't even make sense :shock:

I tend to be worse than a Grammar Expert, more so a Grammar Nazi. I correct people whenever they use your/you're/their/they're/there wrong. Rarely do I ever spell a word wrong and never do I use the wrong form of a word.

thx

Mega Poster
nadroJ said:
It just comes naturally to me to use them all properly"
This. Well, I've always had very easy to learn languages. I'm sorry I might sound arrogant right now, but I still have to quite agree with
Lain said:
It never ceases to amaze me how so many English people can be so bad at using their own language.