Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Eh, who cares? I just want to have fun

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I use alternative terms because I'm hipster

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
^Not at all, I've never really called them Amusement Parks.

Wikipedia has a great description of the difference/meaning:

Amusement and theme parks are terms for a group of entertainment attractions and rides and other events in a location for the enjoyment of large numbers of people

In common language, theme park is often used as a synonym for the term 'amusement park'. A 'theme park' is actually a distinct style of amusement park, for a theme park has landscaping, buildings, and attractions that are based on one or more specific or central themes. A plurality of themes are not required to be considered a 'Theme' park.

Also interesting to note that the page is called "Amusement Park" and "Theme park" redirects to it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Venom2053 said:
Also interesting to note that the page is called "Amusement Park" and "Theme park" redirects to it.
Well I think that's just because theme parks are a sub-category of amusement parks. :D

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
I still don't really get the difference. I'm not sure that definition is accurate, to be honest with you. :|

But I just call them all theme parks, stuff 'amusement park'! :p

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
TP Rich said:
I'm not sure that definition is accurate, to be honest with you. :|

Ok then try these ones from Dictionary.com....

Amusement Park: a large park equipped with such recreational devices as a merry-go-round, Ferris wheel, roller coaster, etc., and usually having booths for games and refreshments.
Origin: 1905–10

Theme Park: an amusement park in which landscaping, buildings, and attractions are based on one or more specific themes, as jungle wildlife, fairy tales, or the Old West.
Origin: 1955–60

Its open to debate but I think amusement park is the general term and theme park is a more specific description of an amusement park. That being said I've still called them all "Theme Parks" throughout my life.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's very open to interpretation (I'll bet Joey is writing an article on this as we speak ;) ), but to expand on Venom's post.

Essentially, if the theming of a ride doesn't go beyond the boarding platform of the majority of rides, then you're in an amusement park. If the theming of a ride extends well away from the boarding platform, or has many rides incorporated in a consistent theme (in multiple areas), then it's a theme park.

It's that attempt to immerse you in a fictional world that makes something a theme park, but it's a slippery concept to grab. I think if you read the topic you should be able to get the idea though.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
I agree that theme park is slightly more specific than amusement park. And the term probably did originate at a much later time than amusement park. But, I think most 'amusement parks' nowadays fit into the category of theme parks, which is why the terms are regarded as interchangeable.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I normally use Amusement park when talking about small parks like Tir Prince. If it's bigger and has a bit of themeing it's a theme park like Blackpool.

Usually I normally just say park though to keep it simple.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I say a Theme Park is a Theme Park if it has themed zones with themed rides. I would say a Amusement is a park with no themeing. Is an Amusement Park a Fun Fair? Or is a fun fair a travelling amusement park?