What's new

The World's 18 Strangest Rides

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Each year amusement parks around the world try to one-up one another by building bigger, faster and more intense rides. Abu Dhabi's Ferrari World recently announced plans for a roller coaster that will hit nearly 150 mph, while North Carolina's Carowinds park said it would build a roller coaster with a 211-foot drop. But roller coasters require significant amounts of land, massive investment, and can't be put on a trailer and hauled around the country. This is where a new crop of rides come in, providing more interactive experiences for passengers and bringing thrills to densely populated urban centers. Here, PM takes a look at some of the strangest, scariest and most innovative non-roller-coaster rides.

View article by clicking popularmechanics.com

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Human Trebuchet... **** off! That's a terrible idea! Although, quite good for the Darwin Awards.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Yay for the SkyRoller! Why don't parks build more of those?
I've done 10 of the rides listed & the SCAD tower was my favorite, as everyone at last year's Euro Live knows all to well. :wink:
Can't believe they actually put that Human Trebuchet in operation. :roll:

Mike

Giga Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo_oigyFlTA[/youtube]

:shock:
That's insane!
And I've never even heard of it... :?

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
This is probably the most dangerous thing I've seen...ever. How could they not have seen it before someone was killed? Heck, they saw somebody break their pelvis or whatever...

Nic

Strata Poster
Yay! Spin Dizzy gets a mention! Might look tame, but the exit path to that is just a constant pool of vomit. Never been brave enough to try it myself, although have stood and watched many a time.

That human trebuchet thing was as recent as 2002. There were 5 successful throws followed by the 6th unfortunate guy. http://brettmartin.org/articles/DSC.html

andrus

Giga Poster
Yay for flying fury!! Too bad that it has so low capacity :( they could increase the number of seats in each plane, but then the interactivity will be lost...

Snoo

The Legend
Been on a number of those, including the sexy ones in Vegas. I don't think most of them are strange however, but simply innovative to their environment.. with a perfect example given to the Stratosphere.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Been on one of them.

The Giant Discoveries aren't any "stranger" than your average pendulums. They're just a lot bigger.

coasterC

Roller Poster
Skyswats get my vote, they're really odd and the most positively evil inventions ever to exist. Their whole idea was strange, but so effective. I nearly screamed on Slammer and that's something. It's usually woohoo or woah or something, but Slammer's just terrifying. C :twisted:

Naemuti

Mega Poster
coasterC said:
Skyswats get my vote, they're really odd and the most positively evil inventions ever to exist. Their whole idea was strange, but so effective. I nearly screamed on Slammer and that's something. It's usually woohoo or woah or something, but Slammer's just terrifying. C :twisted:

I love sky swats. The ops that run them should definitely be called something that rhymes with "swats", though. They bleeping staple you in to the point where it literally HURTS. :roll:

Naemuti

Mega Poster
Jake said:
^ Erm, you do know how 'swat' is pronounced, right?

No, of course not. :roll:

Maybe I could make it simpler and just tell people to replace the first "s" with a "t"?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, I don't think you do :lol:

Swat doesn't rhyme with Cat!

spicy

Giga Poster
That Human Trebuchet is insane! Id love them to make a safer version, if that was possible.

Pieman-
Swat rhymes with alot, but how its pronounced you seem to have forgot.

Remember that Pies make you fat which rhymes with twat.

Ha, god im bored! :lol:

Naemuti

Mega Poster
spicy said:
That Human Trebuchet is insane! Id love them to make a safer version, if that was possible.

Pieman-
Swat rhymes with alot, but how its pronounced you seem to have forgot.

Remember that Pies make you fat which rhymes with twat.

Ha, god im bored! :lol:

Oh, well, I always pronounced it like "twhat". Guess I'm doing it wrong.

A

Anonymous

Why on Earth would ANYBODY want to be flung by a trebuchet? These people must have a death wish or something. o_O