What's new

The UK needs more Coasters

Dave

CF Legend
Like I've said before in this topic I think parks like Oakwood, Drayton Manor, Flamingoland might be a bit apprehensive at adding something world class as it might either financially cripple them if it backfires, or guarentee them success for years to come. But this can be a massive gamble!

Look at how X, world first ride which nearly backfired on SFMM, but since then has improved and now has worked wonders with X2.

marc

CF Legend
X may have back fired but it got them on every single coaster programe and so many people around the world new of the coaster.

So yes it may have broke down alot, but people knew about it.

Ben

CF Legend
^But, World Class DOESN'T mean a risk...

World Class would be, oh, say, Troy? Something solid with a GREAT layout, for about the same price as a dumb S&S piece of crap which is probably MORE risky with its capacity of three people a year and gimmicks.

Oakwood realised this like, ten years ago and built a solid, strong coaster as a good investment. Drayton and Flamingo just haven't, and so shove in gimmicky stuff which actually DOES backfire some of the time (G Force?)

So, saying places like that are being apprehensive by building rides that are actually RISKY, is a bit silly...

Dave

CF Legend
Yeah but how do you gauge what is world class until its built and ridden by guests, by the time its built the money has been spent.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
What is strange is Alton years ago used to take 2 days to get around, I am going back to when Nemesis and Thunder Looper were there at the same time.

Why is it now you can get round the park in a day and there is meant to be more there?

More there yes, but less that you want to go on :)

Also, the queues used to be really abysmal. Three hours for the Flume or Rapids, over two for Corkscrew. You could only get three or four rides in in a day!!!

marc said:
Oakwood is a strange example to use but they have a coaster Alton and Thorpe need, Megafobia.

Yes, yes they do! Or a Troy, or a Terminator, or a Boulder Dash (goes off to dream :lol: ) :)

Ben, there has to be some reason why FL and DMP aren't putting in a simple, yet excellent (and undoubtedly successful) smaller "great" ride.

I can't remember how much Thomas Land cost Drayton, but I'll bet it wasn't a massive amount more than Troy (in total). Yet the success of Thomas Land was almost guaranteed.

Ben

CF Legend
Well, yeah. But, you're saying building something new and original is as risky as sticking to the "safe" route and building a type that has proven itself over and over again... It's pretty obvious that say, a GCI would never be far off World Class (at least in the GP's eyes at least), whilst something risky, gimmicky and new is always a LOT more unsure.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think the issue is that with a gimmick, you have an easy selling point. The UK's only looping lift hill, the world's most vertical drop, the world's only horror themed rollercoaster :lol:

They're easier to sell and more outstanding than "something like those old things at Blackpool".

Ben

CF Legend
I dunno, look how much Troy did for Toverland, or how popular Terminator is (second most popular ride in the park I'd argue, after X2... which... well... rules the World), or how many people Lightning Racer pulls... or Prowler... or *goes off on a huge list*

Woodies ARE popular. Like, really popular.

And then lets look at how little G Force did for that place :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I agree to be honest Ben, it's just that nobody in any kind of managerial position in a UK park DOES seem to agree... :(

Yet the public still come along and go on the rides relentlessly. G-Force is awful, but the public still queue as much for it as any other (big) ride there. Idjits! :lol:

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
marc said:
Now would the old owners have built these new coasters? or would they have built like they used to.

Which ones? The ones like Nemesis to Air or post 2003? With such great planned rides like Spinball and Rita?

Late Tussauds was really poor from all sides, and so far in comparison there isn't too much difference, in regards to Saw possibly meant to be at Chessie it's arguable who decided, Merlin or the park's own management... We don't know...

Merlin made a good step with Mutiny Bay in my view, improving a very poor a quiet area, however have made two poor decisions with Nestle and Burger King, yet have also improved some food with the Pizza Buffets at Alton and Chessie...

The UK defo needs a new woodie or two, or three... Or one in every park...
Gimmicks however draw so much attention from the main income group, and it works... Which is what the park's want...

Kebab

Giga Poster
It's tough for the UK to get ground-breaking rollercoasters that reach 300 feet otr whatever, for obvious reasons. What UK does succeed on which no other country on Earth does; originality!

Check out most of the coasters at Alton! These coasters brought innovation to the world. I have my tea now I will continue my speech later :)

andrus

Giga Poster
Agreed, UK need more woodies. A boulder dash in the gardens at alton? That would sure be great! Do alton have a prohibition of building in the gardens? Otherwise it would be a good idea.

When I visited alton I took a "short cut" through the gardens and I didn't met a singel person, NOT A SINGLE PERSON! The gardens were nicely taken care of but hence there aint any people there alton could as well use the grounds to build something great there. Like a GCI boulder dash style coaster! :--D

A

Anonymous

i agree with furie
Its all gimicks that the public will get hyped up about and then just be dissapointed.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
andrus said:
Agreed, UK need more woodies. A boulder dash in the gardens at alton? That would sure be great! Do alton have a prohibition of building in the gardens? Otherwise it would be a good idea.

When I visited alton I took a "short cut" through the gardens and I didn't met a singel person, NOT A SINGLE PERSON! The gardens were nicely taken care of but hence there aint any people there alton could as well use the grounds to build something great there. Like a GCI boulder dash style coaster! :--D

Not allowed. Look at the trouble they had with SW6. That makes less noise and is less visable than Corkscrew, and they still had problems because it goes into woodland. Imagine the reaction if they tried to destroy the gardens. Also, AT treat the gardens as part of the park, part of the experience, even for another Boulder Dash they wouldn't touch the gardens.

jack.bell

Mega Poster
/\ exactly andi think altons gardens "could" be successful IF they were to do the right thing with it. what with the sky ride happenings recently noone sees the gardens and just because there on the map as some paths isnt going to make people go there. you cant see them from anywhere else in the park any more and therefore until people see them they are not going to get any visitors!

flamingo land i think cant be labled as a park that "doesnt try to build good coasters." yes it has three vekoma cheepness things and some S+S steep drop thing BUT if more people knew it was there they would go there. if you ask anyone who doesnt live in yorkshire to name the major themeparks in britan they will say alton thorpe cheesington and blackpool. Flamingo land has always tried its best and look what its got! four decent coasters and they are all very different. it has the variety needed for a park(corkscrewcoaster,invert,motorbike and a coaster with a VERY steep drop) BUT people just dont know about it, and until it gets out there advertising then poeple wont. I DO think aswell that flamingoland NEEDS to be watched as in my opinion it is the most likely park in england to get a wooden coaster.

[rant over/]

cheers

Blaze

Hyper Poster
True, I have only ever seen Flamingo Land adverised three times. Once in cinema, twice on TV. And it was a very old advert with none of the new rides but all the old ones. Not even a mention of MJ thrown in at the end.

A

Anonymous

speed in oakwood is alright isn't it .
Yeah , ive never seen flamingoland advertised and its a good park (but then i live in the south so they probably would'nt)

GravityGroup

Roller Poster
The UK has a lot of parks in a small area but I think they could do better, we need another wooden roller coaster but if I could pick just one roller coaster in the whole world to build in the UK it would be X2 that thing looks insane on the videos I have seen any park that had the money to support it would have an instant hit.
It’s a shame Arrow had so many problems with X as the 4D roller coaster looks like a great concept if S&S can perfect it and get the cost down, I am really going to try and get to SFMM within the next year or 2 to ride it.