What's new

The Low Countries

Nic

Strata Poster
I'm spending this week in Belgium and Holland with my Dad. While we're here, we plan to get in a few park visits. Today is day 1. Read how it went... (Please note, I plan to add some photos at some point. I don't think we have a USB cable on us though, so that might have to wait till we get home). Also please note, I'm on the netbook and have been drinking wine, so my typing is likely to be even worse than usual.

This morning, we woke up at 4am, piled in the campervan and headed to the Channel Tunnel. Within a few hours (although, one hour more than anticipated due to a mix up with the time zones on the sat nav), we had arrived at our first destination - BobbieJobbieLand.

We arrived and wandered down the midway, and were greeted by Typhoon, the Eurofighter. Dad's immediate reaction was "SHIIIIIIIT! There's no way on earth you're getting me on THAT!", so I went on my own. I like the layout of it, it's fairly varied and keeps interest fairly high throughout. However, as with all EFs, its rough. Now Saw-head-banging rough more shoulder-shattering-rough. Still, a fun ride nonetheless.

From there we went to the powered coaster. Dad volunteered to come on that, then wished he hadn't 3/4 of the way round the first (of two) laps. It's really long. REALLY long! The last helix of WHY is also painfully forceful. It's lovely the way it goes round the lake and the flog lume though.

After that I cheered Dad up by taking him on the target shooting thing. It's a bit like the one at Drayton, but without any kind of scoring system. He loved it though, and took it far too seriously. If he hadn't been sat in a car, he's have been commando-rolling around the place like a ninja!

As we walked up the path we were greeted by Oki-Doki. It looks huge compared to the photos and what you expect for a coaster with its cars in the sape for a ****ing clown! Still, it feels as you expect it to - a fun but forceless family coaster.

From there I went on Dream Catcher. Is this only set up to use one train? There's no air gates, so you load straight from the queue? With only one train the queue is painful - especially when you have small dutch girls elbowing you in the back for half an hour

Whilst queueing for lunch (be warned, only about 3 restaurants in the whole park were open today, guess that's cause it's a school day?) I spotted the rapids. I'd had a look before we left and thought that none of the parks we're visiting had rapids - I'd forgotten all about the legendary ones they've got here. I pursuaded Dad to come on, knowing that it had an awesome whirlpool of awesomneness (like Bagatelle) and therefore thinking that he'd love it (bear in mind that he used to be a kayak instructor, has paddled a lot of whitewater, and has dome some whitewater rafting in his time). We got round the corner, and from my point of view - sadly the carousel and drop were closed. Dad had just commented "Thank **** for that!" on seeing the drop... then he saw the whirlpool, "It's got a ****ing great drop in the middle of it!!!!" At which point I reminded him of his water based past and told him to man up. I think he did enjoy it though. He then spent the next 20 mins pissing himself laughing at other people getting soaked while I went on the wild mouse. Meh.

Despite it obviously being boring, I went on King Kong before going on R/Evolution. I don't know what park I was confusing it with, but I was expecting thunderlooper in the dark. What I actually got was the product of someone spending far too much time smoking Amsterdam's finest. It was cool, but completely WTF?!

After that it was about time to head off and try and navigate our way to the campsite. Since we got here, I've argued with a tent, cooked dinner, tried dutch pancake syrup, drank lots of wine, laughed at the barman quickly having to turn lily allen off as "**** you" came on... and sat here writing this. We're here all week, and it's free wifi downstairs in the bar, so hopefully I'll post more tomorrow.

Plan for tomorrow is a trip to Drievliet. 4 creds... the first of which will be my 150th. Which one though, that's the question?! Oh, and, btw, we're staying at Duinrell so expect a report from there later in the week too. Yay! :)

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Oh Ben, didn't you know thats now gone!

Good report there Vadge, look forward to reading more!

Ben

CF Legend
It's not gone is it? RCDB says SBNO, and I just scanned the last six months or so of News and Rumors and couldn't see anything about it going... Though I do remember mention of them trying to re-open it...

Jake

Strata Poster
^ I thought it was definately not reopening, but they haven't got round to ripping it out yet?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Vadge, if you see any Stroopwaffles" (waffles with syrup in the middle) please could you grab me a three or four packets? They're really delish and I'll happily play you over the odds! The cheapest one syou can find will do juuuuust fine! I think they're more of a Dutch thing, but you should be able to find them in Belge as well. Thanks, sexy xx

And great TR so far.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Vadge said:
the queue is painful - especially when you have small dutch girls elbowing you in the back for half an hour

Beat them about the face and head with their own clogs.

Nic

Strata Poster
Bellend, I'm in Holland. We just stopped off in Belge on the way. Will have a look for you next time I'm in a supermarket (there's one just above my head as I type this... so could go look in a min!)

Today we went to Drievliet. It'ds only 20 mins away from Duinrell, and shouldn't be too dificult, except for our satnav taking us through loads of backstreets, one way roads and dead ends! We got there eventually, and found our way into the park. It's quite a samll park, about on the scale of somewhere like Adventure Island or Fantasy Island. However, unlike these places, theyve actually had a go at theming. No, it's not great, but they've made the effort. They've also made the effort to get a couple of quirky coasters.

First ride of the day was the KMG Freak Out. I've never been on one with such a good cycle, or so much airtime. Shame I couldn't feel any of it... I'd been stapled in so hard (byu a ride op that looked just like Mike!) I thought I'd cracked a rib!

My first coaster of the day was to be my 150th cred... so it had to be Formule X. For a coaster that only seats 6 at a time, the queue went down really quickly. The launch is fab. It's not vbery fast (70kph), but you coast out of the station straight into it. I almost forgot it was there, so it caught me a bit by surprise. The inversions are fab. The coaster is so smooth. My only criticism is that it's far too short. It would also get extra bonus points from Neal for having lots of Schumacher references in the ride music.

I then went on their other quirky coaster - twistrix. I'm not going to try and describe it, look it up. All you need to know is that the 2nd lap made me want to spew!

The other coasters are a mack powered mine train and a mine themed wild mouse. Nothing remarkable, especially as I had been on examples of both yesterday.

The first ride I managed to get Dad on was the dodgems. They were so fast! Stupidly fast! All I could think of was the complete scene of carnage and distruction that would be left behind if we got a group of CFers on there! The only other thing I got him on was the 5D cinema. No, I don't know what the 5th one is either. I can't work out if it's a whole new attraction for this year, or just a new film. It's called "The Curse of Skull Rock" and you can see a preview of it on the park's homepage. To my relief it was in English. It's actually pretty good. One of the better ones I've seen. It's also the first one I've been on to have moving seats and water, and air under the seats, and air in your face, and flashing lights and bubbles! Worth queueing for.

I think it was at about this point where I spotted what is literally bench the ride. It made me lol. A lot. It's a kiddies carousel thing, but in the middle are three benches for parents to sit on while their kids are on it. The benches also rotate with the rest of the carousel... hence it literally being bench the ride!

Apart from about 4 more goes on Formule X, I think that was about it really. They've got a few other generic rides there (enterprise, wave swinger, flog lume etc), but nothing I was interested in. Overall it's a good little park, but you don't need more than half a day there. If you're just passing through the area, you could easily do Duinrell as well in the same day.

After we left the oark, we came back and had some lunch before wandering into town. We were expecting a small village with maybe a cornershop and a post office... instead we found a reasonable size town with lots of interesting shops and a decent supermarket. I should probably head off really, need to go get the dinner on. Also don't want to leave Dad on his own doing 'helpful' things again. Last night I came back to find he'd pumped my airbed up for me... but had left it outside in the cold and damp, and had left my tent wide open. Lovely.

Going to go into the park at Duinrell tomorrow then probably hire some bikes and explore the local area and beach. I also want to check out the fun pool here too at some point. They've got tons of flumes, including a new one where you stand at the top of a sheer drop, then the floor falls out from under you! :D Right... more tomorrow!

marc

CF Legend
"It's not vbery fast (70kph), but you coast out of the station straight into it. I almost forgot it was there, so it caught me a bit by surprise. The inversions are fab. The coaster is so smooth. My only criticism is that it's far too short. It would also get extra bonus points from Neal for having lots of Schumacher references in the ride music."

This is why its not very fast, it has Schumacher references :)

Glad you are having a good time, cannnot wait to hear about it this weekend :)

Ben

CF Legend
marc said:
"It's not vbery fast (70kph), but you coast out of the station straight into it. I almost forgot it was there, so it caught me a bit by surprise. The inversions are fab. The coaster is so smooth. My only criticism is that it's far too short. It would also get extra bonus points from Neal for having lots of Schumacher references in the ride music."

This is why its not very fast, it has Schumacher references :)

It probably also slows down a load of other coasters and makes them wait behind it ;)

Nic

Strata Poster
Ian, I got your stroopwaffles. 3 packets (I thought you had said 2-3, not 3-4). You owe me £1.80. OK?

It was pissing down most of today, so we abandoned the bike idea. We spent an hour this morning having a wander round the park to investigate. It's a lovely park, one of these places where every time you turn a corner you find something you wern't expecting. It's a bit like Ethnic-minority-gang Chine in that respect. There's also some parallels with Wicksteed I thought. It's a similar size, and there's a few similar attractions like the bumper boats and the naughty jets.

I wasn't that bothered about riding anything this morning. I went on the frog shaped family coaster to get the cred. I think it's the same as treetops at Oakwood, if not its very similar. Pretty unremarkable, apart from all the headchoppers where it crosses under itself.

I was then going to go on Falcon, the Eurofighter, but there was a problem with it. There were lots of people inspecting the bottom of the lift hill, then they sent someone up to the top to have a look.

By that point, we were bloody freezing, so decided to retreat to the camper, before heading out to the science museum, Museon, in The Hague. It was quite cool, lots of things to play with, and they had a whole F1 exhibit as you went in. Trouble is, I'm a bit too old now to get away with elbowing small children out the way, so I didn't really get a chance to play with much of it :(

So that was it really, a pretty unremarkable day. We'll have dinner in a bit, then I think we're going to spend the evening sat in the pub watching the cup final... mainly because it's too bloody cold and miserable out to want to do anything much else. Hopefully it'll brighten up tomorrow and we'll get our bike trip afterall... oh, and the falcon cred! :)

Nic

Strata Poster
Sorry for the double post, but here's some pics from Drievliet. We have got some of BobbieJobbieLand, but they're on another camera, and that uses a differnet type of USB cable. You'll get those when we get home... but you can have tjese to be getting on with!

28861_404447516024_510281024_4231094_4294654_n.jpg

28861_404447541024_510281024_4231095_3900686_n.jpg

28861_404447546024_510281024_4231096_7328388_n.jpg

28861_404447566024_510281024_4231098_5727114_n.jpg

28861_404447646024_510281024_4231103_6864285_n.jpg

(no prizes for being able to spot me!)

28861_404447696024_510281024_4231106_4172063_n.jpg

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Vadge said:
Ian, I got your stroopwaffles. 3 packets (I thought you had said 2-3, not 3-4). You owe me £1.80. OK?
Thanks, you're a top vadge. Let's call it £2 and a bottle of wine.

Nic

Strata Poster
Today we hired bikes and went exploring. We rode up the a town on the seaside and had a coffee. We then rode through this country park type thing amongst the sand dunes to get back to Duinrell.

28861_404750131024_510281024_4236070_351214_n.jpg

28861_404750156024_510281024_4236073_6318847_n.jpg

When we got back, we went for a wander round the park. I got my Falcon credit finally. It's not bad a for a eurofighter. A bit bumpy, but not painful. It's a fun little ride, and a great addition to the park.

28861_404750216024_510281024_4236079_5496183_n.jpg

28861_404750321024_510281024_4236090_5718297_n.jpg

28861_404750236024_510281024_4236082_1438765_n.jpg

28861_404750256024_510281024_4236084_102222_n.jpg

I also went on the tea tray toboggan thingies. This one is HUGE! It goes really really high up the hill, then the track is really steep. Unlike the Robin Hill one, there's no way you could do this without breaks, you'd end up over the side of the track like a Georgian luger.

28861_404750336024_510281024_4236091_5460089_n.jpg

28861_404750341024_510281024_4236092_354126_n.jpg

This afternoon, we went back out on the bikes as Dad wanted to find the canal. He got us lost and we rode round in circles for a while. We also ended up getting ourselves stranded on the central reservation of a massive dual carriadgeway at one point! Still, it was fun.

28861_404750366024_510281024_4236094_5443304_n.jpg

Time to travel back home tomorrow. I think we're going to take it slow and work our way back to France for the afternoon. We'll then have a couple of hours to trundle round cité europe, have a Flunch, and buy cheap booze before getting the chunnel home.

Hope this hasn't been too boring a read, and I'll see some of you on Sat! :)

Jake

Strata Poster
Glad you had a good time.

Nobody who can ride a bike should qualify for a spackaband though :p. Not that i'm complaining... haha.

iMiss you! Hurry back <3

peep

CF Legend
Looks like you've had a random yet fun little trip Vadge. I love how you basically dragged your dad to the parks though.

Nic

Strata Poster
Jake, it's my foot that's ****ed, and you don't really need it that much for cycling, so it doesn't hurt. Well, it used to hurt my dodgy knee (which is on the other leg), but these bikes have a different seating position so it was ok. I actually really liked the silly bike. If I had somewhere to keep it, I'd be very tempted to get one. There used to be a shop in the open market that did them, and you can get them in funky colours! :)

Peep, there wasn't any dragging involved. He volunteered. I did offer for him not to have to come / for us to not go at all to some of the parks, but he insisted. He even offered to do another one on the way back, but I thought that was prob pushing it a bit!

Gonna see if I can figure out the BobbieJobbieLand photos in a minute