What's new

The lost art of your everyday water rides?

SpeedKills81

Roller Poster
Why are seeing water rides like Perilous Plunge, that doesn't exist anymore, they are beginning to fade away? Giraffica/Pilgrims Plunge at Holiday World is the only water ride of its kind in the world now I believe. Why not build more splashdown rides like Perilous Plunge or Tidal Wave at Hersheypark? Are people basically fed up with these type of water rides?

np41hl.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I would suggest that we have met a point of saturation. (No pun intended :wink: )

Majority of today's main amusement parks already feature a log flume, river rapids, and splash boat. Unless a ride is being removed (such as White Water Landing at Cedar Point, removed for Maverick), many parks do not have a real incentive for building another water ride. There can be a certain redundancy, when that same investment money could be spent on something more needed by the park.

njn63

Mega Poster
In addition to what Hyde said: Most theme parks seem to be going the direction of segregating their water rides into dedicated water parks and I assume its significantly cheaper to build/maintain a raft slide than a boat ride.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
rollermonkey said:
At the same time, when was the last log flume built before the one going in at Phantasialand?

The one at Power Park :wink: (okay its questionable to whether its a log flume)

As much as i love water rides, they aren't usually the main ride that the majority of people come to a theme park for. The only reason a park would get one now,would probably because they're lacking one, hence why Power Park got one because they didn't have any before.

TilenB

Strata Poster
SpeedKills81 said:
Why are seeing water rides like Perilous Plunge, that doesn't exist anymore, they are beginning to fade away? Giraffica/Pilgrims Plunge at Holiday World is the only water ride of its kind in the world now I believe. Why not build more splashdown rides like Perilous Plunge or Tidal Wave at Hersheypark? Are people basically fed up with these type of water rides?

np41hl.jpg

What about Drenched in Oakwood?

Lofty

CF Legend
I don't quite understand this? So do you mean the water ride making a 'main feature' out of it's drop? So pretty much like Tidal Wave and any of the other Intamin Spillwater's?

jolash

Mega Poster
Didn't Perilous Plunge get taken out because it was throwing people off the ride?

Like it was said before, for an amusement park there's really only 3 water ride types out there. Raft rides, log flumes, and shoot-the-chutes. You could probably add a water coaster to your collection for a fourth ride but I think those tend to be too similar to shoot-the-chutes (Journey to Atlantis).

SpeedKills81

Roller Poster
Oh well I just think its really interesting to see more water rides built like pilgrims plunge/Giraffica at holiday World in Santa Claus, because the other fun thing about it is that particular ride has an elevator lift cable! Like no other shoot the chutes ride out their. The elevator cable is really not a modern feature its more futuristic thinking of a water ride don't you agree? So your saying we'll never see any shoot the chutes rides added to parks around the U.S anytime soon? For instance a couple six flags parks need them, Great Adventure-used to be movie town water effect, six flags great America-splash water falls, yes perilous plunge is gone at Knotts but still a good ride...P.S not the person falling off the ride was not good obviously. The idea of putting over the shoulder restraints on shoot the rapids at Cedar Point which recently had that scary incident of riders flipping over and under the water; they need to fix that in the near future of any newly built water flume ride.

Ethan

Strata Poster
You say there's only really three types of water ride at amusement parks, but I can think of...
-Log flume
-River raft
-Spillwater/Shoot the Chute
-Dingy slides (Thorpe, Paultons, Oakwood)
-Circular raft (Storm Surge at Thorpe, Park Asterix and others)
-Water coaster (Europa/Djurs)

All of these types are quite common! But most of them suck.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
^Add splash battle's to that list. Also, ones like Valhalla and Stormforce that don't really have an official name (they are not log flumes!), but i call call them Large Flumes.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I'd like to see more log flumes around. Chiapas looks fantastic and with modern technology the things that can be done are up to much imagination.

When I was at CP in July I lamented at the lack of a good log flume. Even rides that are not necessarily log flumes like the splash mountains are always a solid addition. A park without a classic flume is a park lacking a major addition to me.

Idlewild

Mega Poster
There are a couple of water flat rides around like the skids esque ride at legoland Windsor.

The main problem with water rides is that after you have a flume and a rapids, you pretty much have everything you can do with a water thrill ride.

Just look at intamin s website, 6 slightly different variations on the Spillwater.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Ethan said:
You say there's only really three types of water ride at amusement parks, but I can think of...
-Log flume
-River raft

What's the difference between these two again?

jolash

Mega Poster
rollermonkey said:
Ethan said:
-Log flume
-River raft

The second one is more of a waterpark raft ride, whereas the first would be your conventional raft ride. That's the only difference I see.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Robbie

Hyper Poster
rollermonkey said:
Ethan said:
-Log flume
-River raft

On the most basic level, one's a river and one's a slide.