What's new

The future of Olympia looping

Martyn B

CF Legend
There's a rumour doing the rounds that this years Oktoberfest could be one of the last chances we'll get to ride Olympia Looping.

Does anyone on here know any more? Is it going to be the last time it appears at Oktoberfest, or is it finally going to settle down in a park?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
unaje6a7.jpg

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I didn't actually think it was that amazing, but it would be a shame if it was scrapped. It looks pretty spectacular so would probably be quite attractive to a small park in need of a signature thrill ride. If it does settle down at a park, I hope they buy new trains with lap bars only because I found the little OTSR's very annoying, as they tightened a lot throughout the ride.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I've heard similar rumours elsewhere, but they've more or less stated that it should operate for at least one season more, thus making its last appearance at next year's Oktoberfest...
Which is your source, Martyn?

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
^Yes. The amount of loops don't make a difference, the only thing stopping all coasters from having lapbars are the general public convinced they are going to fall out unless they have an harness.

Twister Zone

Roller Poster
owenrita121 said:
^Yes. The amount of loops don't make a difference, the only thing stopping all coasters from having lapbars are the general public convinced they are going to fall out unless they have an harness.
Cool bud, yeah we are a paranoid bunch. :--D Gravity is good. :)

Darren B

Giga Poster
I'd be disappointed if it were to be scrapped; not because it's a Schwarzkopt and people think it's amazing (I'm not a fan of them personally) but because it's an icon coaster and a travelling one at that.

Myself and Tom(atron) have already agreed in principal to do Ocktoberfest next year so it'd be disappointing if the main attraction was missing.

marc

CF Legend
I would be upset as it's a coaster I want to go on and would finally have enough money to go next year.

I really enjoy the coasters due to the high g they produce and fly round loops rather than slow down.

Yes some are poor but the good ones are up there with the best.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Here is (my) source, which states that the coaster will certainly tour Germany at least for the 2015 season as well.

http://www.aachener-zeitung.de/lokales/ ... e-1.875307

The 'interesting' part, ran through Google translate:

As long as he is still on the road with the "Olympia Looping" and whether he will come back in the next few years again to Düren, Rudolf Barth leaves. "I could sell the business overnight. Offers from amusement parks in the Far East there is enough, "said the showman, which is in August 75 years old. Next year, he wants to move to Düsseldorf Rhein funfair and the folk festival in Herne Crange before Oktoberfest. What comes after that is in the stars.

Darren B said:
Myself and Tom(atron) have already agreed in principal to do Ocktoberfest next year so it'd be disappointing if the main attraction was missing.

Can I come as well? I was also planning to hit Oktoberfest next September and it's always nice to be in somebody's company. :)

Darren B

Giga Poster
TilySlo said:
Darren B said:

Can I come as well? I was also planning to hit Oktoberfest next September and it's always nice to be in somebody's company. :)

You're more than welcome to join us. When we finally get around to planning it we'll get in touch with you.

marc

CF Legend
What I found the other year when trying to plan it is you need to boot hotels about a year ahead as they get expensive or you have to stay miles away. They also put the cost of flights up as well.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Ukrides said: "Oktoberfest 2014 sees Olympia Loopings 25th anniversary, and possibly one of the final appearances from this iconic coaster"

Going by what else has been said, it sounds like the owners are ready to sell up, so it may continue touring yet, you never know.