What's new

The ends of a loaf of bread are called...

The ends of a loaf of bread are called...

• Crusts

Votes: 35 62.5%
  • Heels

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Nobby Bits

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • The 'Ends'

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Colossus

Giga Poster
The edges of a slice of bread are called crusts. Only good for giving to the Dog.
Either side of the loaf are called ends. Only good for toasting and loading with Marmite.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
I don't eat supermarket bread, but the crusts of my mum's homemade taste and feel like baguettes if you fill them with cheese. Mmm... :p

Gazza

Giga Poster
Colossus The Power of 10 said:
The edges of a slice of bread are called crusts. Only good for giving to the Dog.
Either side of the loaf are called ends. Only good for toasting and loading with Marmite.

What about when you get that nice fresh chewy, crusty bread from a baker. In that case the crust is the best bit.

Mark

Strata Poster
furie said:
nadroJ said:
Toppers (don't ask). And they're awesome for making a bread-spoon out of, for such occasions as soup.

Bread used to be scooped out to form a "platter" the tough crust from a fire oven loaf was a natural plate for your pottage. Then the juices would soak into it and make it soft so you could eat the crust in a yummy kind of soup infused way.

Yay for the history bit! Early in the Tudor period they became known as 'Trenchers'. Also poorer families would make them from stale bread. Eventually though, they started making them out of wood.

O... my family have always called the end bits 'Crusts' btw

powergal1

Roller Poster
This guy says they're called "CONDOOTS" while making no-knead ciabatta bread: Don't know how to spell it, however!!!! put youtube dot com in front of this link since I can't post links!!!
/watch?v=YX_6l2bmvQI

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
powergal1 said:
This guy says they're called "CONDOOTS" while making no-knead ciabatta bread: Don't know how to spell it, however!!!! put youtube dot com in front of this link since I can't post links!!!
/watch?v=YX_6l2bmvQI
Really? As your first post on CF you've dug though so many topics to raise this from the grave? :lol:
BTW - They're called heels or ends and the crust is the bit around the edges.

Welcome to CoasterForce powergal1 and Merry Christmas! :--D

powergal1

Roller Poster
I'm aware of (probably regional) terms such as heel, crust, nose, butt, grunchsteak, bum, etc. I'm trying to find out where the term "conduits" comes from, I had spelled it wrong, sorry. Ah, this explains why bakers use the term "conduits" - the ends, the conduits, are used to hold and cool the bread for wrapping: In a bread wrapping machine, Including means for applying heat to the wrapped loaves, a run-way adapted to receive a succession of loaves from said first named means, consisting of a slide, side pieces formed of spaced slats, conduits at the sides of said side pieces provided with openings into the spaces between said slats, and W tapered in the direction from which the loaves are fed, and blowers at the-opposite ends of said conduits to provide currents of air therein. DON'T YOU JUST KNOW IT, AS IN EVERY PROFESSION, BAKERS HAVE THEIR OWN LANGUAGE!

Darren B

Giga Poster
^The best response I can give that is...

6d5be3a7666fee69688eb97fae6981fd_zpsff0e39b1.jpg

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Over here in the Netherlands we call them "de korst", which is probably the same thing as "the crust".

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
"Skalk"

The Norwegian language has a clearly defined, unambiguous term for that. I suggest you Anglophones get your act together and try to fix something similar.

Jake

Strata Poster
Loaf - crusts
Baguette - ends

'nobbly bits' is plain weird. I've never heard that before and it's just not right.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Will said:
Does anyone call them anything other than crusts!?
And does anyone eat them by choice? They're good for keeping the rest of the loaf 'fresh' though, to a point...

I do, if its nice fresh bread that's crusty and chewy then the end bits are the best part!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Crust is the tough outer part of the bread. Hence "making a sandwich with the crust cut off."

Heels are the crusty ends of the loaves. :wink: