What's new

The end of Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom?

Jake

Strata Poster
With the racing woodie almost certainly gone for good, and many more rides (including the Intamin drop tower following the feet incident) being removed slowly without replacement, Kentucky Kingdom was always seen as a park in the Six Flags chain lagging behind the others.

According to screamscape, Chang is also rumoured to be removed in the next couple of years, and moved to SFGam (which is strange, as they already have a stand up). Either way, Chang's days seem to be numbered, and seeing as it's the parks biggest coaster, it doesn't really make me confident about the future of the place.

It may also be worth noting that the waterpark has seen a number of major additions in recent years, such as Deluge, the LIM powered water slide. Perhaps Kentucky Kingdom is to be the new Geauga Lake?

http://screamscape.com/html/six_flags_k ... ingdom.htm

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
If Chang goes, it's basically a given that the park will be closed. The only question is, where will the other rides go?

Six Flags is supposedly building a new coaster at every park in 2011, so maybe by removing this park and moving the coasters, it's a way for Six Flags to save money?

RCF

Strata Poster
^ That sounds reasonable. Save money for all they can since they're still going through the Chapter 11 process and they may just do that so they could do everything as planned

RCF

Strata Poster
^ I know with only one good and signature ride, out of three, needs to be seen that it should be closed. When you hear about Six flags you don't think "Kentucky Kingdom" Chang needs to go to a park worthy of it.

Hm, interesting. If the park closes I'm gonna be super mad about the fact that I saw it, but didn't go in, but by the sounds of it, I didn't miss too much. Regardless though, it is still a park and I never thought it looked TOO horrible.. Their waterpark looks decent though.

And Chang to SFGAM? Hmm, you guys think they'd remove Iron Wolf for it or no? I doubt it though considering it's a piece of B&M history.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It doesn't really make much sense to move one B&M stand up to put another one in. Nor does it make sense to have them both at the same park.

Chang looks, to me at least, like the best stand up out there. Which other Six Flags parks could it fit into?

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
The rumors now are that Chang will go to SFGam to give them a larger, higher capactiy stand up coaster, while Iron Wolf, which is showing it's age will go, be refurbished, and possibility send to a smaller park in the SF chain.

Chang was indeed what made SFKK great, and unfortunately it is on the decline. With Hellvator, Twisted Twins, Mile High Falls and now Chang gone, it doesn't leave much left in the way of attractions. What is odd is that we're only hearing rumors of Chang and not T2 or Grizzly. I would think either of them might go first as they lead over to the Twisted Twins area and would allow for greater expansion if all that is demolished. What I can't see, however, is them closing the park entirely. The waterpark will get that giant announced expansion; something they need anyway. The waterpark was always the popular thing anyway in recent times. I can see the road acting as a cutoff, with the established area on the park entry side of the road staying as an amusement/ride area, spilling slightly across the street where the carousel and many smaller rides are already located. The majority of the across the street area will continue as a water park and will be expanded as the most important thing between the two pieces.

That seems the most logical move to me.

Snoo

The Legend
Well, as you said, being that it is the only real attraction left at the park, I could see why they would move the star away.

And I've heard many things a long the lines of getting rid of Iron Wolf (which was horrible)/moving it to another park.

Right now, of course, its all speculation.

DropZone99

Mega Poster
I could see the park becoming just a water park within five years. If Chang gos to SFGAm than I hope it gets modified trains so it's not standup, and I wander where at in SFGAm it would go. They don't have a lot of good spaces for such a big coaster. And another thing, if SFKK does close, where will the other coasters go? T2 would probably be scrapped, since most SF parks either have an SLC or Batman clone. Greased Lightning would hopefully be put into a good park and be taken care of, I'd love to see it go to Indiana Beach (Not sure if SF would be interested in selling it to a non SF park.) Roadrunner Express could go to many parks, maybe SFA? Sadly Thunder Run would probably be scrapped.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
I had a pretty good time there when I visited a couple of years ago. Not an amazing selection of rides, but the park was nicely kept, all the staff were friendly and the drop tower was still doing what it should. Back then it was being run by the man who is now in charge at Magic Mountain, and he did a really good job. But given what's there I wouldn't be surprised if the rides were moved and the water park stayed where it is.

If that happened they better save the Schwarzkop!

Jake

Strata Poster
RCDB has put Chang in the 'past coasters' list now, meaning all thats open at the park in the way of major coasters is an SLC, an old shuttle loop coaster and an average woodie.

Hopefully they manage to keep hold of all the other coasters untill my visit next August...

http://www.rcdb.com/4563.htm

A

Anonymous

Well....I suppose my ideas of trying to vist all the Six Flags parks, is beginning to fall apart, seeing as I won't be visiting the US anytime soon.

Unless I win the lottery. There's always hope. lol

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
ICoastCoasters said:
Well....I suppose my ideas of trying to vist all the Six Flags parks, is beginning to fall apart, seeing as I won't be visiting the US anytime soon.

Unless I win the lottery. There's always hope. lol

Indeed, don't give up hope!
I never thought I'd be down to missing just 6FMex, but that's where I'm at. I never expected to finish the CF or Paramount parks either, but I just finally got CGA in August.

Oh shoot, I just saw this today! I wonder where Chang will be going.. Hopefully somewhere near here so I can give it a go. I guess it's a bit of a shame to see any park go/be downsized, but I haven't heard great things about Kentucky Kingdom. Now I regret not going there this summer sort of..