What's new

The big one. Furie's trip with ECG across the East Coast!

Mike

Giga Poster
furie said:
How is it a hole? It's better than Dorney and SFNE.

I reckon it's better than Disney in term of atmsophere and theming!

:lol:

KD is a truly awful park in my opinion, and the only reason I'ld go back is to get the 3 credits that I missed out on. :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Mike said:
furie said:
How is it a hole? It's better than Dorney and SFNE.

KD is a truly awful park in my opinion, and the only reason I'ld go back is to get the 3 credits that I missed out on. :lol:

But why?

I can't understand why you and Ben thing it's dreadful? the kids area was really pleasant and the only bit that spoiled the area by Back Lot Stunt Coaster was ... Back Lot Stunt Coaster.

The rest was quite similar to the Six Flags parks and Dorney. The rides weren't outstanding by any means, but the place had a pretty relaxed, clean, neat and tidy atmosphere and appearance.

Ben

CF Legend
Because it's a vast sea of tarmac punctuated by horrid, horrid rides!

But, I forgot, they're better than Disney :wink:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:

Clearly at a different park to me then. The section from Dominator round to Back Lot Stunt Coaster was lush like Oakwood, it really reminded me of it in fact. Lots of grass, trees, bushes, winding paths, theming, and water features.

The midway area was not so good, it was just like Dorney and Six Flags - flat and grey around the rides. It wasn't a huge amount of the park though, just from Shockwave to Rebel Yell. All the off shoots towards Grizzly were green and shaded with trees. Grizzly itself runs through woodland. The walk from Grizzly to the tower is landscaped and quite similar to the falseness of Thorpe, but as I've discussed with Mark - Thorpe looks quite nice in the sun actually (ignoring the rides :lol: ).

So all in all, not perfect, but it's only a small bit that detracts (BLSC especially, that just ruins the view from Anaconda).

The rides aren't great, but Dominator and Volcano are good. The Crypt is a good Top Scan with great effects. The Gyro-Drop is great fun. The Scooby Doo stuff is all fun and Grizzly is bland but okay and Hurler is (to taste) alright. Shockwave is nondescript, as is BLSC. Flight of Fear is alright and Anaconda is, erm, also not too good.

So it's a real mixed bag, but the park was better by a long way than Dorney, and probably equalled Dorney on number of rides I liked and would return to the park for.

Not the best park on the trip, but far from bad.

Ben said:
But, I forgot, they're better than Disney :wink:

I heard about this, but I don't see how it affects the truth of the park? It's no where near Disney, but neither is Oakwood but it's still one of my favourite parks. then again, maybe not as it only has one ride worth riding and Speed is badly themed, so it must be trash... ;)

Ben

CF Legend
furie said:
Ben said:

Clearly at a different park to me then. The section from Dominator round to Back Lot Stunt Coaster was lush like Oakwood, it really reminded me of it in fact. Lots of grass, trees, bushes, winding paths, theming, and water features.

Then remind me never to go to Oakwood ;)

The midway area was not so good, it was just like Dorney and Six Flags - flat and grey around the rides. It wasn't a huge amount of the park though, just from Shockwave to Rebel Yell. All the off shoots towards Grizzly were green and shaded with trees. Grizzly itself runs through woodland. The walk from Grizzly to the tower is landscaped and quite similar to the falseness of Thorpe, but as I've discussed with Mark - Thorpe looks quite nice in the sun actually (ignoring the rides :lol: ).

Didn't actually go down the walk from Grizzly to the tower, but, ew, Grizzly could run through the Grand Canyon, it's still one of the worst woodies ever!

The rides aren't great, but Dominator and Volcano are good. The Crypt is a good Top Scan with great effects.

The Crypt is a bad Top SPIN with great effects ;)

Grizzly is bland but terrible

Fixed!

Hurler is terrible

Also fixed ;)

Shockwave was shut... so... uhh... if it's like the one at Canada's Wonderland, yeah, just "there".

BLSC also sucked ;)

Flight of Fear is odd. The launch and stuff was cool, but, it was so damn ROUGH and the MCBR... what the hell?

Anaconda should sink into that lake.

So it's a real mixed bag, but the park was better by a long way than Dorney, and probably equalled Dorney on number of rides I liked and would return to the park for.

See, I much, much preferred Dorney! Dorney I found almost quaint - nice woodland areas, terrain, hills, streams. Rather pretty actually. KD - TARMAC ;)

I heard about this, but I don't see how it affects the truth of the park? It's no where near Disney, but neither is Oakwood but it's still one of my favourite parks. then again, maybe not as it only has one ride worth riding and Speed is badly themed, so it must be trash... ;)

Well, it doesn't really effect the park itself, but, it does say wonders for the aresh... I mean... people... who run the place!

madame furie

Roller Poster
East Coast(er) General said:
Little did the furies know what they were in for

Isn't it just gorgeous?
IMG_7240Small.jpg

Thus ended the best day of furie's visit so far, in spite the disappointment of Storm Runner's unavailability.

That first bit really tickled me :--D

that looks awsome!

I'd have been gutted about storm runner but unfortunately phil's often wrong about things :roll:

Thanks for having them!

Kings Dominion never seemed like it would be a nice park to me, I dunno why, but I guess I've never really looked at pictures or anything to know that the atmosphere is pretty decent. I don't know why you didn't think Dominator was that good.. I quite liked it, but moreso at night than in the daytime. Shame the woodies sucked, but at least you got some launched coasters in there :p .

Frickin' weather though, must have been following you.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
See, I much, much preferred Dorney! Dorney I found almost quaint - nice woodland areas, terrain, hills, streams. Rather pretty actually. KD - TARMAC ;)

See, the coasters - differences of opinion - meh. It's personal taste at the end of the day.

What you say there describes Kings Dominion to me (in place of Dorney) and Dorney in place of Kings Dominion.

I said I was worried to Jerry about Kings Dominion because Dorney is just so massively and hideously concrete and grey. It has a few bits here and there which make it a bit nicer, but overall, it's not good.

Talon - On car park
Posessed - On car park
Steel Force - on car park
Laser - was on gravel car park
Hydra - half on car park, half on grass hills

My initial impression of Kings Dominion was of wooded areas, varying height paths that entwined the rides, lots of grass and foliage. The only place that wasn't was the midway area, which was a small area compared to the rest. I spent a lot of time not riding due to things being closed (and the fact I (annoying to Jerry I suspect), like to spend my time wandering and taking in a park). So I saw all the niceness of the park, the trees, bush cover, streams, food outlets with patios on lakes, nicely mowed lawns outside of rides. All that stuff I took note of. While around Ghoster Coaster, I considered it easily as nice as Hershey (the poor midway and BLSC detract that), but the park was certainly heading towards Hershey quality and design, while Dorney headed far and away towards New Southport Pleasureland ;)

It amazing to have such a massively varying view of the park. All I can say is that I must have spent more time actually at the park being in the park and enjoying the park. I wasn't running from coaster to coaster and ride to ride - because I enjoy actually soaking up a park experience.

KD was certainly far from perfect, but it was probably joint second with Great Adventure in terms of actual park quality. Rides it's a millions years apart, but actual on the ground, walking around quality it was joint third from the trip.

davidm

Strata Poster
Just my 2pth on the current discussion.

I like KD (was PKD when I went), much preferred it to Dorney which had little appeal whereas KD I would happily go back to (and Dorney I just didn't bother with last time I was in that area). I feel that I have a pretty diverse range of "parks visited" and KD is up there in my recommended list (despite on the day I went me almost collapsing from heat exhaustion - clearly slightly different weather conditions to Phil's day!).

Each to their own I guess.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
madame furie said:
Thanks for having them!
Thanks for letting me have them. It was such a pleasure.

Oh, and the first thing I offered him was some Tylenol, but he declined as he brought an antihistamine from England with him. So I gave him some Sudafed, Advil & aspirin, none of which did the trick.

I was really looking forward to Kings Dominion to see if furie would agree with Ben, Mike & the other TPR boys or if he would enjoy the park like we (the family & I) do. I was also hoping he would finally get to ride a floorless coaster he would love. So it was a mixed bag for me. The park is right up there near the top of his list, but Dommy is nowhere near his Top 10.

Dominator was already running when we arrived...
KDDominatorLoop.jpg

...but the queue was short & we got a great front row ride.
KDDominatorEntrance.jpg

<3 me them interlocking corkscrews!
KDDominatorRoll.jpg

I missed their ride on the Scooby coaster, but got back in time to see them hit up the real kiddie coaster.
IMG_7288Small.jpg

Gotta love the way they handle loose articles on Volcano.
IMG_7289Small.jpg

Happy furies after their launch around the fire mountain...
IMG_7290Small.jpg

...and before their bobsled ride.
IMG_7291Small.jpg

Here is why furie & I like the top spin so much.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdYncB1-U8w[/youtube]
Ya'll ready to rhyde?!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GibKt7kipRU[/youtube]
Nice view of the back of Volcano from the Fear of Flight hanger.
KDVolcano3.jpg

Some of the themeing on this fun little launcher. It's actually the same as Joker's Jinx at SFA, only indoors.
KDFoFCars2.jpg

Yes, we had lunch with the Thornberrys.
KDChickfilet.jpg

Not as painful as most other American Togos.
KDShockwaveLoop.jpg

We'll be back to ride this when the coaster count is completed & furie gets rid of those butterflies.
KDDropTower1.jpg

Ahh, some Grizzly lovin'.
IMG_7294Small.jpg

Rain's gone. Time to catch some air - one way or another.
IMG_7295Small.jpg

Now it's time for that drop.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnlOz7m5EXY[/youtube]
Didn't get the chance to ride this. Perhaps that was for the better with the way furie was feeling.
KDBerserker.jpg

Obligatory photo before leaving...
IMG_7301Small.jpg

...bye bye KD. We like you in spite of what those sheep say.
KDDommyParkingLot.jpg

Snoo

The Legend
Yay for Drop Tower!

I love the Intamin 3rd Gen.. nothing beats em tbh.

PS: Dommy.. I miss you. <3

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I like Xscream better! It clearly beats them IMO.

I forgot how massive Dominator's inversions were. I'm pissed you didn't like it Furie :p .

Oh, by the way Jerry, I still think Geauga Lake's old top spin's cycle was better, but yah, the theming on this one is obviously better.

That drop tower makes me nervous for KI's.