Hyper, giga...

• Strata

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Tera

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

zen

Roller Poster
Sorry for me being an idiot but is this like a quiz to test what you know or are you asking a question?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Well strata was muted a lot for the ‘over 500ft’ polar coaster…

In computing, Tera follows giga, but then giga follows mega (no hyper) so… By these very facts, it can be concluded, without any doubt whatsoever…

… That I have absolutely no idea

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Heide Park threw around plans for a "Teracoaster" cirka 2005. The term was planned for a coaster with a lift hill taller than 100 meters. For 120m+ coasters the term "Strata coaster" seems to have won out, though. Although they are hardly common enough to warrant their own term, with only two ever built (15+ years ago).

Dar

Hyper Poster
Where's the option for "whatever annoys the most thoosies in one go"?

I guess I use strata for the two that exist, but only out of habit and no real attachment to it.

I dread to think how much just the steel for a 500+ft high point is gonna cost in these unprecedented times!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
In computing, Tera follows giga, but then giga follows mega (no hyper) so…

Heh, I'd never thought of it like this before. And given there's "mega coasters", which are in the 100-199ft height range, it makes the hyper terminology all the more weird.

I've only ever heard Strata for 400-499ft coasters. But as has been said, it's a bit of a cold point as it's only for two coasters which are 15+ years old.