What's new

TEA 2015 Theme Park Attendance Figures

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
0188ea42646a7e8c52388d0ce2a1e82a.jpg

Full Report:
http://www.aecom.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2015_Theme_Index__Museum_Index.pdf

Figures at a glance:
Overall
AYy1Utd.png

C3dulAq.png

North America
psGyK9t.png

Asia
ypqqRzv.png

Europe
4q1pDwR.png

2005-2015
hPEtVCM.png

mouse

Giga Poster
Interesting, thanks for posting.

No surprise that Alton has had the most significant decrease in attendance, seems to have had a knock on effect on Thorpe too. Would be interesting to see if any other parks have suffered a reduction, I don't think its been a great year for the UK.

Btw, the link to the full report took me to an error 404 page?

peep

CF Legend
Ah was wondering the other day about when we'd see this appear.

Lots of interesting bits in there. Universal Studios Japan has had an excellent year, not surprising but still very interesting.

Love the chart detailing the 2005, 2010 and 2015 numbers. Very interesting.

I feel I should point out again that some of the Disney tickets only count on first entry which is why DisneySea and Walt Disney Studios have much lower attendances compared to the Disneyland parks.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
@mouse found a new link

Also this:
bOl7FLZ.png

Some initial things to note:
*Alton Towers down by over a quarter on the 2014 figures. Thorpe also suffers - more than 10% down on last year.
*Fantastic figures for Chimelong Ocean Kingdom's first full year. Most attended Asian theme park outside of Japan!
*Harry Potter has now pushed Universal Studios Japan past DisneySea and is the fourth most attended park in the world last year!
*Has been a great year for North American and Chinese parks.
*Magic Kingdom becomes the first park to hit 20Mil and somehow has well over twice the number of visitors as Islands Of Adventure :p

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like some of the Chinese parks are pushing for the top rather soon. Five parks with a visitor number increase by over 25 %, three of which increased more than 60 %. That's quite a lot!

The UK parks seem to have taken a bit of a hit. Both Alton Towers and Thorpe dropped quite significantly. Here's hoping for a bounce back next year, though! I'm also a little surprised to see Legoland Windsor above Legoland Billund, then again I guess there are simply more people living close to the UK park.

Another surprise in the Europe list is the French park "Puy du Fou". That's one I've never heard of before, even though it apparently has higher attendance than Alton Towers. It is not even mentioned on RCDB. From its Wikipedia article it appears to be a theme park without attractions, but with themeing to make up for it. Sort of like Kristiansand Zoo and Amusement Park, which is the most visited theme park in Norway. It has roughly twice the annual attendance of TusenFryd, but I don't think it has ever been mentioned on this site other than perhaps in passing.

Also, it'd be really interesting to see a similar list for Africa. Wonder when and where we'll see the first big parks emerge there? Same goes for India, I guess. It wouldn't surprise me if India experienced a theme park boom comparable to China in 20 to 30 years.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Been wondering when this would he out! Such a shame to see Towers affected so badly and to have such a massive drop. A massive player in the industry affected so badly is actually quite sad to see, even thought I was completely expecting it!
Good to see Europa and PA doing so well though! Same for Efteling too, looked like Baron has done them well!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

peep

CF Legend
Pokemaniac said:
Another surprise in the Europe list is the French park "Puy du Fou". That's one I've never heard of before. It has roughly twice the annual attendance of TusenFryd, but I don't think it has ever been mentioned on this site other than perhaps in passing.

I think a few of us are more than aware of Puy du Fou. We just haven't visited yet because lack of creds. (also a bit out of the way compared to our usual trip locations). They were behind the re-do of Rahjavlin at Efteling and their main show is absolutely ridiculous, I need this park in my life but I keep putting it off.

They're opening a new location in the UK, it's simply one night time show on the grounds of an old castle (how the French park started). I've got tickets to see it in July and I can't wait, should be epic.

^Yeah I was surprised to see that, didn't they open a water park last year? That would be a good reason for it to spike. I hope it inspires them to invest in more attractions, I love that park but it needs some new attractions and some love in looking after the rest of it.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yay; I love this report! Probably one of the very few times when I get a bit geeky over parks.

A few thoughts on the Asian stuff for now since that's the area I'm more interested in and (kind of) know more about.

No surprises to see Ocean Park and Hong Kong Disneyland dropping. Tourism in Hong Kong in general, especially from mainland Chinese visitors, has been down. Those parks are often included in tour packages. Fewer tour packages = fewer visitors. The numbers will likely be down next year for the same reason. Ocean Park isn't adding anything new, and Iron Man probably won't get many extra people through the gate.

Chimelong Ocean Kingdom. Not surprised to see big numbers, but surprised to see just how big. I think the increase at Chimelong Paradise will be connected since there's heavy cross-promotion and shuttle buses between the two resorts for hotel guests. I couldn't be happier since they're an excellent company.

I wouldn't look at those Songcheng parks as necessarily having the massive growth that's been reported. Until last year, they don't seem to have been reporting any numbers. Hangzhou Songcheng Park suddenly appeared on the list last year, but it's actually an older park. They also own Hangzhou Paradise; I wouldn't be surprised if those figures have been combined. Having said that, the parks have been adding in huge shows, which are the main selling point, which are only accessible through a park ticket.

Interesting to see Fantawild in the list of worldwide top companies without having a single park even in the Asian top 20. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing for them to be honest.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Quite surprised the tabloids haven't picked up on Alton's drop in attendance. Surprised to see Thorpe drop again for the 3rd year on the trot.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Glad to see positive attendance percentages for the North American parks. 2014 saw negative and marginal growth for many of these parks by comparison.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Crazycoaster said:
^ It's not really that surprising when you look at their investments/lack of since 2012.
This.
It's not only us who like a moan regarding Merlin. Many of my friends who go to Thorpe on the odd occasion usually end up with the same feedback;
Been on all the rides before, nothing new...
Took forever to get on (Insert coaster here) because they only used 1 train...
Food prices are ridiculous...

When you invest in crap then you don't bring people for repeat visits. Noone I know mentioned either Angry Birds or I'm a Celeb to me recently, why's that? Because they are ****

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah and that is not going to be helped by DBGT. It'll be interesting to see these again next year but I'm not expecting anything great.

Interesting how Florida's SeaWorld is up but Cali's is down - shows where Blackfish is hitting most.

Other than those it's all up and that's good!

Also PMSL at the opening post, v good.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Interesting the Blackpool isn't on there, I would have thought they were getting in at least as many as Chessington did

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Dar said:
Interesting the Blackpool isn't on there, I would have thought they were getting in at least as many as Chessington did
Blackpool stopped divulging their figures when they stated to charge park entry. If you dig out the old reports you'll see BPB used to have have millions of visitors. I guess tgat changed when people had to pay.