Which direction??

• Inwards...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Outwards...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lucy

Hyper Poster
Difficult choice because most of these rides I've been on have been inward facing :D

Outwards wise I've done Maelstrom & The Claw at Dreamworld which were both great but also all the inward facing ones were good - so I'm going to be awkward and say both! :D

Jake

Strata Poster
God knows how many of these things i've seen/ridden. To be honest, I normally skip them (unless it's a type I haven't done.

Frisbee's are horrible, I hate them.

Afterburners and Freak-outs are OK... but some are good (like Eagles Claw).

This SUCKED:

243423164_313fd4cdbb.jpg

(Psyclone at Canada's Wonderland)

But then SpinSpider at Tusenfryd was incredible (and hugggeee):

tusenfryd1.jpg

So yeah, generally I prefer facing outwards, but I find swing&spews VERY inconsistent.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Facing outwards for sure, Maelstrom and FlipFlop are both really really fun rides in my opinion whereas Vortex and Eagles Claw are both a bit meh and I often skip them. And woah Jake that thing at Tusenfryd looks insane!

Martyn B

CF Legend

These aren't frisbees though, frisbees are horrible, but Gyro Swings (Maelstrom) are awsome.

Afterburners (Vortex) are fun, but Gyro Swings are SO much better.

Jake

Strata Poster
Martyn B said:

These aren't frisbees though, frisbees are horrible, but Gyro Swings (Maelstrom) are awsome.

Afterburners (Vortex) are fun, but Gyro Swings are SO much better.

Well done. Well done for correcting me by saying exactly what I said.

:S

Martyn B

CF Legend
Ok then, I'll follow up with a picture:
pendulus3.jpg

I was under the impression that they were Frisbee's? Both pictures you posted were Gyro Swings?

Jake

Strata Poster
Martyn B said:
Ok then, I'll follow up with a picture:
pendulus3.jpg

I was under the impression that they were Frisbee's? Both pictures you posted were Gyro Swings?

Yeah... i'm not THAT thick.

I said:

Afterburners and Freak-outs are OK... but some are good (like Eagles Claw).

This SUCKED:

I was listing the different types. Oh, and the pictures I posted are not of Gyro Swings, cus they're not Intamin. I posted the photos because the types are not as common, and most people (including myself) aren't aware of the exact model names...

Martyn B

CF Legend
Ok, you've got the wrong end of the stick. I thought you were saying that outwards versions were frisbee's, so I just said I thought the one I pictured was known as a frisbee.

I too dont know all the names that manufacturers give them, I only know Intamin call them Gyro Swings, so I call all of them that.

Its been a while since I've been on Maelstrom, but from what I can remember, Flip Flop was just as good. With such a small basic ride type, I wouldn't have thought different manufacturers would have made too much of a difference to the ride experience.

Sorry!

Jake

Strata Poster
^ I know that's what you thought I was saying... it just annoys me when people don't read stuff properly. I apologise if my post was unclear, but I don't see how it was that hard to understand...

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
inwards facing - I've done black fly at wmsp (and the movie park one), a kmg afterburner

outwards - only done flip flop

flip flop was easily the best - intense, thrilling, and not puke inducing

black fly is less puke inducing than the afterburner

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I've done Black Fly, Maelstrom, Vortex & the one at Brean.

I LOVE Maelstrom, but, the one at Brean was more intense. It's a tie for me.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Tough one. The Afterburners have such a massive difference in ride quality between them all.

Inward facing:
Bottom of the list is Vortex. I hate that ride. It's just nausea inducing and not at all fun. Something to do with being very weak I think.

At the other end of the scale is Beach Party at Coney Beach. That was incredibly intense and superb fun. Brilliant ride.

Eagle's Claw is okay, it's good fun, but nothing special - same with the Afterburner at Brean. Good, but not great.

The Streetfighter models are excellent fun, with some brilliant floater airtime on them. Freakouts I've never had a good cycle on, but they show potential - they just suffered from "noooo! Give me more" Thorpe syndrome.

Outward facing:
I've just done the two.

Flip was really good fun, good ride, good cycle, good mix of forces.

Maelstrom is possibly my favourite flat. I love the floater, followed by the excellent high-g on the bottom of the swing. It's just a ride that suits me perfectly.

So I need more experience on the outward facing ones. Beach party was different to Maelstrom, but came close in my opinion to being as good in terms of "I loved that". All the other inward facing ones I'd rank below Flip Flop (but not massively).

However, re-ride is where the outward ones win. The inward ones always leave me feeling a bit queasy (or just plain ill in the case of Vortex). SO I tend to just ride them once. Flip Flop and Maelstrom I could re-ride all day :)

So outwards takes it :)

Lucy

Hyper Poster
Tough one. The Afterburners have such a massive difference in ride quality between them all.

That's very true, especially if you've been on a quite a few travelling ones which I've done - it makes such a difference and many of the them I went on last year were really good :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
This torture device makes me feel sick just watching it!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwpvi5NfE7o[/youtube]

Check out the mental spinning at 3:17! Add that to the (what feels like) 10 minute cycle! Yeah Huss Frisbee's are not for me!

Ollie

CF Legend
^The one at Movie Park Germany was horrible. It went that fast the whole cycle but at the end for the last 30 seconds or so it suddenly sped up and went twice as fast.
Really felt ill after for a while.

Ollie

CF Legend
The best swingy spinny ride I've been on is the Big Bell one at Hansa Park. I must of got a really good seat as I was at the top of every swing and got amazing floater and got a really good view of the fire going off underneath us. :)

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
^^^That's insane! I'll admit I did feel a bit queasy after watching that.

I say CF holds a similar challenge :--D I don't mind Frisbees really!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Outwards facing, but only the bigger models (Intamin GyroSwing/Huss Giant Frisbee). They're much less about the spinning and more about a rotation to offer varying views and heights. They're much more about air time and the feeling of falling.

The smaller outward facing models (like the one in the original post) spin a lot more, and are less enjoyable in my opinion.

I've never really enjoyed the inward facing things at all. They're pretty much all spin. Huss Frisbees are the worst.