What's new

SW8

elephant58

Hyper Poster
NO, NOT PROTECTED TREES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

I hope this could be the beginning, with the screening stuff and tree clearance.....and on Alton's Facebook page,on one of their images for the new coaster, someone asked whether or not another 'fast coaster' will be built.....

"Possibly in the future Liam ;-D"

Ethan

Strata Poster
I wouldn't base anything on posts to fans tbh! They're just trying to keep up interest I guess :)

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
A lot of the trees have been removed, they have done some serious tree removal over the off-season. Whether this is for any planned SW8 or whether there were other reasons I just don't know. That's my fascinating information for the evening passed on.

Alex23

Roller Poster
That would be due to the wood fungus which seems to have spread along the line of a potential coaster. ;)

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
Rumoured sw8?

Have just seen this over at towers times

“Demolitions and removal of existing buildings and ride structures. Construction of new ride including tunnels, ground level changes, maintenance building, station, shop and pre-show building all with combined maximum total floor area of 1130sqm, single storey building to maximum height of 6m and two storey to maximum height of 7.5m. The new ride would have a 14.5m maximum height.”

One of the most intriguing elements of the report details the proposed type of construction of the new ride. Current details describe the ride being of ‘timber truss construction’ and suggests that this would minimise the visual impact of the development, keeping it sympathetic to the surrounding woodland. Also of interest is how ‘one or more’ of the high points would be ‘enclosed within “sound tunnels” which could possible hint towards a ride which is at least a wooden hybrid.

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/blog/2015/04/23/first-clues-to-secret-weapon-8-revealed/

Also this
http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=101930

Edit: I moved this post here because this topic already exists. - ThomVD

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I don't think they can mess around with councils and planning so these hints are probably all legit. We can all now say that it looks like a woodie of some sort is likely! Finally!

Mike

Giga Poster
Hey guys, so I've just got off the phone for a conference call with Nick Varney, Andrew Carr, David Bridgford, Mark Fisher, and Nick Mackenzie, and there were some pretty interesting developments:

- Secret Weapon 8 has been confirmed to be a wooden Aquatrax through the valley.
- Replacing Blade will be a brand new Topple Tower.

Groundwork for both of these highly exciting new attractions have recently started over the winter off season, with this fascinating picture recently coming through:
Mikes-Mud-Berm.jpg

You can all trust me on this one; I worked in a theme park once.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Mike said:
Hey guys, so I've just got off the phone for a conference call with Nick Varney, Andrew Carr, David Bridgford, Mark Fisher, and Nick Mackenzie, and there were some pretty interesting developments:

- Secret Weapon 8 has been confirmed to be a wooden Aquatrax through the valley.
- Replacing Blade will be a brand new Topple Tower.

Groundwork for both of these highly exciting new attractions have recently started over the winter off season, with this fascinating picture recently coming through:
Mikes-Mud-Berm.jpg

You can all trust me on this one; I worked in a theme park once.

Like posted above, this joke was funny when there were just rumours. These are actually official so the joke doesn't really land :L

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm still betting on a launch. 55ft is nothing nowadays, and probably wouldn't have enough energy to get back to the station with a standard lift.
Good to hear something, especially the wooden hints.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
^ This is Alton Towers we are talking about they could easily make a 55ft coaster make it back to the station without a launch, Nemesis for example.

Smithy

Strata Poster
**** hell Mike I'll own up.

I re-read your opening line multiple times and was questioning why you were in a conference call, then assumed you'd just copied and pasted it, then twigged you were on the wind up when I saw the Aquatrax ffs. It's late.

Reckon this is going to drag out massively with the local residents, I'd love if this was a 'proper' woodie though.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
owentaylor121 said:
^ This is Alton Towers we are talking about they could easily make a 55ft coaster make it back to the station without a launch, Nemesis for example.
The fact this will most likely dive down into the gardens will give it some momentum sure, but if this is the RMC being talked about it will have quite a few interesting elements and then the train needs to get back up the hillside to the station. Unless they do something crazy like an underground lift back up to the station, I can't see how it will get back up.
Nemesis needed rock blasting to do it, and it's steel, and Wardley designed it. They may build a few tunnels but the groundwork on this project will be nothing compared to what was done for Nemesis.