What's new

SRoS vs Bizarro vs Medusa

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Today furie & I hit up SFNE and got to ride Bizarro. We only got two rides, but for the wife, the kid & I it was enough to know that the coaster was better before the "upgrade". furie likes Bizarro, but probably not as much as he would have liked SRoS.
The new cars are a definite improvement, but that's about it. I love the new cars, in fact everything about them is better. The seats are more comfortable & can accommodate much larger riders, which means faster dispatching. They also have a sleeker profile & there's also no more ankle braces - Yay!
Nothing has changed with the ride itself, as the track & layout is exactly the same and the trains flies around at the same speed with the same air-time & Gs, but all the new effects & audio feel just tacked on.
I'll be posting some photos & a POV ASAP for all to see, but they have a huge Bizarro billboard sized graphic surrounding the tunnel at the bottom of the first drop. Some might like it, but you can't really see the tunnel entrance anymore. I always like cresting the lift hill and seeing that tiny tunnel entrance & thinking "will the train even fit through there?"
Then after the huge banked turn the train would swing around to line up with the next to air-time hills, which you would see coming at you at an incredibly fast pace. Now they have some fake buildings blocking the view of those hills & at the bottom of the second one they have 5 off-kilter pentagons (Superman shield) spraying a thick cloud of mist. Whereas the mist filled tunnels at the bottom of the first drop & towards the end of the ride feel & look organic, the shields just look tacky & feel out-of-place. They, along with the buildings, break up the flow that existed before & block the view of the station fly-by.
Finally there's the on-board audio. Unlike X2, where the audio goes well with the flow & elements, here the audio is just random without any rhyme or reason. There are no prolonged music segments (like X2), with much more yakking (jumping from a news bulletin, to Krypton something or another, to the Riddler? It's just 'mish-mash' to quote the wife.
Don't get me wrong, it's still a good (if not great coaster) just not as good as it was prior to the new incarnation. I just find all the new stuff to be quite distracting from the ride itself. The fire effects are the only thing that I didn't mind as they're well placed & don't interfere with the ride itself.
We'll be hitting up SFGAdv in a couple of days & I can't wait to see how Medusa's affected. I'll post my opinion here on Wednesday (hopefully).
If anyone else has ridden either Bizarro coaster, please let me know what you think? Better, worse or indifferent & why?

zcl

Mega Poster
I was at the Great Adventure Bizarro media day last Thursday. I cannot say I agree with your opinion on the soundtrack and effects, especially at night. The GAdv soundtrack is pretty clear and is tied to each element and effect; you have to allow yourself to see it as an experience. Not to mention the highly entertaining Bizarro chant at the end of the ride.

During the day time at GAdv, the flames stand out most since the heat is so intense. Night is a completely different story. Who ever is responsible for the lighting on the props, especially the shields needs to be commended because it is gorgeous. It makes Medusa look as great as it did back in 99' when the que had the lime and purple lights on my first ride.

I find that the GAdv team did a good job taking a somewhat forgotten ride and putting it in the spotlight again for as long as it lasts.

If furie and you are still going to the park on Tuesday PM me you guys' numbers. I'm going to be there all day as well.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
We didn't go to the park until Wednesday as we were at Knoebels & Dorney on Tuesday. Sorry we missed you, but the weather wasn't suitable for a day at SFGAdv on Tuesday, whereas Wednesday was bright & beautiful.
The soundtrack to Bizarro isn't "tied to each element and effect". It's a generic soundtrack that's exactly the same on both coasters. We actually found the one on SRoS to be better, but still rubbish. It was only better because you could hear it more clearly on SRoS since the speakers on Medusa aren't positioned as well.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry for the DP, but I though a few of you might be interested in comparing the two.

Bizarro at SFNE:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYOoxyYgha0[/youtube]
Bizarro at SFGAdv:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76TKek7IPGM[/youtube]

Maverix

Mega Poster
The audio seems to be a bit random on both rides, though I liked how it said "Didn't your dad ever tell you to LOOK before you LEAP" right before the drop. Those fake buildings seem very out of place on both rides, as well as the shield tunnels.

Naemuti

Mega Poster
The additions really didn't hurt the ride but they didn't help either. The only thing I can say is they got a new paint job, but the music and theming is really, really, boring and doesn't do anything for the ride at all. Still fantastic rides, except now there's a reminder of the fact that Six Flags thinks its fans are stupid enough to buy cheap buildings and music billed as a new ride. :roll:

Almost

Hyper Poster
The media day audio was different than the new audio on both rides. The media day told a story and was nice and pleasant. Now its random movie quotes and very annoying.

I'll say this about the Great Adventure Bizarro. During the day I could take or leave the retheme. The cardboard cutouts are kinda tacky but the mist tunnels and fire are kinda redeeming.

At night the cutout buildings are slightly better but the fire and mist are fantastically lit up and pop at night. I'm content with it.

wash

Mega Poster
Is that Gandalf from Lord of the Rings 49 seconds into SFGA's Bizzaro?

Edit: It's "This isn't reality tv!" from The Departed. Love the movie, but yeah it's too random.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Yes. You can also hear the 24 show style beeping at 37 where they say "This isn't a reality show."

Too random for my liking.