What's new

Spendage in Florida

Martyn B

CF Legend
So how many dollars should I be taking to Florida with me? Staying for 10 nights.

Park tickets etc already paid for, so just food and merchandise. I'd like to hear how much people taken etc and brought back, just so I can get the jist.

:)

Jake

Strata Poster
I'm suprised people still change money before going abroad.

Surely you have a VISA account? If not, get one, and just use ATM's. When I visited Florida in 2008 I paid by card at the parks too, wich was even more convenient.

If you're with a crap bank who charges for foreign withdrawals, get a Nationwide current account with a VISA Debit card. I'm sure there are other banks out there that don't charge, but that's what I use, and it's never failed me! It may seem like an effort, but you can use it as your 'travel account' forever, and add money into it before you go away somewhere.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Oh I cant be arsed with all that hassle. I'm a simpleton, I'd rather just take the cash.

Someone I work with went with his wife and 2 kids, they took £2,000 worth of dollars, and cam back with £500!

Find that a bit hard to believe...

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
"Someone I work with went with his wife and 2 kids, they took £2,000 worth of dollars, and cam back with £500! "

liars! ;)

what's the hassle with paying by card then? I do always bring some currency with me, but use the old card for everything else....

nadroJ

CF Legend
Just for one person I'd give $10 per day for breakfast (over-estimation obviously), $25 for dinner then an extra $15 for snacks etc during the day. So that's $50 a day for food so $500 on food then what sort of things are you interested in buying? I'd say add on another $500 dollars for merch but that's at your discretion obviously.

So that's $1000 which is about...what, £750?
I'd also be uncomfortable carrying that amount of cash on me, can't you get travellers cheques or something?

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ Dunno, never tried anything like that. I've only ever took cash.

The only merchandise I'll buy is probably pin badges and ORP's. What are restraunt prices like in Florida?

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Depends what kind of restaurants you go to, same as anywhere.

If you're going to places like TGI Fridays and Hard Rock Cafe, you're looking at about $20, but then if you go somewhere like McDonalds or Burger King you're looking at more like $5.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Yeah I like to eat out properly on a holiday, but some fast food every now and then is always a winner!

Think I'll take about £1,000 worth of Dollars. That should do, hopefully :|

Jools

Giga Poster
Our family went for 14 days and budgeted at £2000 and bought some back, it all depends on your type of accomodation, food tastes and how many are going, and extra activites, oh and toll booths, because they don't have road tax in the USA.

marc

CF Legend
I spent £600 in 2 weeks over there, but bought a lot of stuff.

Allow £25 a day for food then money for photos and stuff.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Wow I cant believe how cheap it is to eat out there! Bloody brilliant!

I'm not hiring a car Jools, public transport all the way for me! (well its free, so why not?)