What's new

"Spastic" Transformer

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
transformer.jpg

After complaints, it's not getting a UK release obviously.

I find it kind of interesting though, that the word is used really casually in the USA to describe someone who is generally clumsy, while over here it's become an incredibly offensive word used to mock people with a severe disability.

It's perhaps something that Hasbro could/should have looked into earlier? Maybe they could have renamed it "Scope".

kimahri

CF Legend
When I heard the word Spastic I think of something flinging the **** around. British people are too soft and need to calm down.

Dave

CF Legend
Well I remember when Scope used to be the National Spastics Charity, the it became Scope because of the whole Joey Deacon thing..

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Spastic isn't an insult in the USA...?

You learn something new every day....

Love the word spastic though. Even more reason to wish I was a yank right there.

jokerman

Giga Poster
I remember Tiger Woods was briefly hated by the media here for saying "I played like a spastic". He obviously didn't think the word was that bad. I use it sometimes, although it doesn't seem as commonplace as retard...

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
That's ridiculous...although I do find it incredibly hilarious at the same time.

What also annoys me is that I use 'spastic' and 'spazz' a lot in everyday conversation, so whenever I say it on the bus for example, I always get these over-sensitive idiots giving me a lecture about heartless I am. I've always used it as it means in the USA; a person who's a bit of an idiot. People over here are just stupid and will always find something to complain about...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I remember a few years ago that they had to recall and change the UK version of Mario Party for the Wii because Toad called you a "spaz" if you did something wrong.

I agree with Joey though, spastic is a great word and I'll try to use it in everyday, innappropirate conversation from now on.

Although I am partial to the word "mong" as a good substitute.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ian said:
spastic is a great word and I'll try to use it in everyday, innappropirate conversation from now on.

Although I am partial to the word "mong" as a good substitute.

Me too, though I'm not sure that my set-4 group feels the same way...

Pierre

Strata Poster
Ian said:
I remember a few years ago that they had to recall and change the UK version of Mario Party for the Wii because Toad called you a "spaz" if you did something wrong.

That would have made me piss my self laughing if I was casually playing a Mario Party game and Toad calls me a spaz.

Might as well have Luigi telling me I'm a daft bellend as well.

Spastic is bad? Glad I didn't say it while I was abroad then :p .

Seriously, I use spastic and spaz to describe anybody who is acting weird or overly hyper. I didn't know it meant someone who was severely disabled :p .

Jer

Strata Poster
UC said:
Ben said:
To compensate we should get the fag one or something.

That's a great point, actually, but that one is becoming slightly more commonplace over here, because of the "hipster" community.

I've never heard a hipster call her/her (they're all girls) cigarette a fag. Where do you hang out?

A-Kid

Giga Poster
They seem to be what would be classed into the "Emo" stereotype down here. With the fringe, scene, tight gene, gay-like style, sometimes with a soft bit of goth involved.