What's new

SMEG!

Ben

CF Legend
*CRINGE*

I mean, don't get me wrong, you have to go a LONG way to find someone who is a bigger fan of the show than I am, but this scares me. I just can't see it being... good, and just being a little bit awkward.

But, we'll see.

marc

CF Legend
Sorry but when I first saw the title I thought yuk.

Thats the titles fault.

Not a fan of the show tbh I could just never get into it.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Ben said:
*CRINGE*

I mean, don't get me wrong, you have to go a LONG way to find someone who is a bigger fan of the show than I am, but this scares me. I just can't see it being... good, and just being a little bit awkward.

But, we'll see.

I know what you're saying. The later series of Red Dwarf really weren't as good as the first few.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Minor_Furie is watching them from the start. First series was fresh, original and full of clever dialogue.

The second series continued that trend.

Third series hit the big time, with some awesomely written parodies of great films.

Series four mixed parody with familiar dialogue, but it's clear in some episodes ideas are drying up.

Series five tried to return to what the original first two series offered, only with a bigger budget. It was still okay, but it quite forced and relied far too much on you being a fan of the show.

Everything since then - pure, unutterably dreadful catch-phrase comedy. Predictable, low-brow (must be bad it was never particularly high-brow), repeat ad infinitum dull as dishwater.

My hopes are below exceptionally low.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I'm not gunna get TOO excited for this for the reasons mentioned above, but I'd be completely lying if I said I wasn't interested.

But yeah, last series wasn't great (and its odd to see Max in Eastenders now when I always have him down as Kill Crazy).

I do remember one proper LOL moment of last series, where Lister was communicating with the scutters on the pipes via morse code, and after about a minute and a half... "DAMN!" ... " What? Can't they get the supplies?" .... "Nah, it was the wrong number!"

Ollie

CF Legend
I've only ever seen a short clip of Red Dwarf and didn't really find it that funny.And I can't be assed to try and get into it.

peep

CF Legend
I absolutely loved Red Dwarf. Like everyone else in this topic I'm a bit meh about the idea but I'll defo watch it when it appears on Dave next year.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Lol, you pessimistic lot!

I agree the series peaked in 3/4, but they've been trying to make new stuff for years, so I'm seriously hoping they have the ideas to make it fly.

They're going to have to incorporate their age somehow as well.

I'll definitely be watching it :).

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I just hope it doesn't go the same way as that Blackadder resurrection a few years back. Returns of old things just never go well do they!

mrclam

Giga Poster
When Rob Grant left at the end of season 5 - it went downhill.

The even bigger problem was that Doug Naylor decided it would be an idea to let robert llewlyn write some episodes.. And of course these just turned into unfunny episodes which may as well had renamed the series "the kryton show"

If Grant is back on for this new mini-series.. i'm interested.. if not.. or WORSE if robert lllewlyn is writing stuff again.. then i'm staying WELL clear.

.. and will keep my happy memories of the earlier series...

Ben

CF Legend
I'm re-watching all the episodes currently, and I'd never noticed HOW much the quality fell with the seventh series.

This series is actually bollocks!

I don't mind Beyond A Joke, the episode Lleweyln wrote though. It's quite funny. Especially compared to how bollocks this series is. Though the Rimmer Ride is ****ing HILARIOUS.

I'm even more scared now.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
"Written and directed by Red Dwarf co-creator Doug Naylor."

Oh dear, someone won't be pleased! :lol:

Grant and Naylor must really struggle to get on.

I'll still watch it, possibly from behind a cushion.

tks

Strata Poster
Is the cushion in preparation for when you realise it's crap and throw it at the tv in a vain attempt to make the horror stop?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Urgh, Dave = adverts.

It does piss me off watching a BBC show that has adverts in.

Although I have found the adverts are the perfect length for brushing my teeth thoroughly, having a cigarette or making my bed and being really OCD about the plumpness of the pillow.

nealbie

CF Legend
Ian said:
Although I have found the adverts are the perfect length for brushing my teeth thoroughly, having a cigarette or making my bed and being really OCD about the plumpness of the pillow.

Yeah Dave TV is considerate like that :wink:

... always looking out for it's viewers best interests