What's new

Skeleton Cove Preview

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Lightwater Valley near Ripon, UK, is today (Saturday 9th April) opening their doors for the 2011 season. It is quite possible that many people outside of theme park enthusiast groups and Northern England have never heard of this family theme park, but now we feel it’s time for everybody to sit up and listen.

Their new attraction for the 2011 season isn’t just a new ride, no sir-ree; it’s an entirely new themed area with five new rides! Skeleton Cove is the first properly themed area to grace the 175 acre park.

Nic and Ian visited Lightwater Valley last week and shared a cuppa with Ashley Young, the Marketing Manager. To understand the reasoning behind this sudden leap of faith into the theme and investment, we asked a few questions about the park in general. Don’t worry, we’ll get on to Skeleton Cove in a while.

lwvsc%20(34).jpg

CF – CoasterForce, LWV – Lightwater Valley (Ashely Young).

CF – Lightwater Valley are currently in the second year of a five year plan. Last year you gave us Raptor Attack (a dinosaur-themed indoors coaster) and this year is obviously Skeleton Cove. What can we expect from years three, four and five?

LWV – The five year plan is effectively a long term investment plan that places a firm emphasis on improving the customer experience and expanding our ride portfolio. We began with the re-theme of the Rat ride back in 2010 and I think there was quite a lot of resistance (from some enthusiast groups) about the change because many were extremely fond of the iconic Rat Ride. From our perspective, however, the Rat ride was installed in 1987, so we felt it was time to refresh and update the ride. I’ve seen on some forums people calling it the best dark ride in the UK, so we’re obviously chuffed to bits with that.
One of the criticisms that we’ve heard in the past is that we’re a ‘theme park without a theme’. The response we had to the Raptor Attack re-theme was so good, however, that we want to carry on down this path, hence the development of Skelton Cove for the 2011 season . Our focus is now firmly on the development of themed areas and the overall customer experience.

CF – Focussing on customer experience, would you consider adding some non-ride attractions such as playgrounds? Lightwater Valley has a country park feel to it; do you think something like that would suit the character of the park?

LWV – As you know, Lightwater Valley is primarily a family theme park that appeals to Mum, Dad and two kids. One of our main selling features is the countryside setting and our 175 acres of parkland; Mum and dad can sit by the lake having a picnic while the kids run off and enjoy the rides in a safe, secure and clean environment, so it’s certainly something we will look at going forwards.

CF – Where does The Ultimate (the longest coaster in Europe) fit in? We’ve heard rumours that you’re going to re-track it, extend it and so on. Where does it fit in with your five year plan?

LWV – At this stage, the rumours are just that.

CF – Next year is The Ultimate’s 21st Birthday. Will you be throwing it a party?

LWV – It’s certainly something that we’re looking into at this stage. It’s something that we must acknowledge. 21 years is a milestone for any ride and it’s as popular today as it was when we installed it in 1991.

CF – With the rebranding that Lightwater Valley appears to be undertaking, have you visited other parks for inspiration and tips?

LWV – As a theme park enthusiast myself, I visit a lot of other parks and attractions. Working for a park, however, I do tend to look at things very differently. Although I do look for tips and tend to analyse every aspect of other theme parks, here at Lightwater we want to be a unique brand in our own right. As I mentioned, we want to concentrate on giving excellent customer service and engaging in open, honest and friendly communication with our customers. I like to think that we’re a ‘park on a roll’ at the moment and hopefully we can maintain that impetus going forwards.

On that note, let’s move forwards and take a look at Skeleton Cove.
lwvsc%20(33).jpg

This visit took place before opening so some of the photos may appear bare. We’ll update this topic throughout the season when more photos become available.

In 2010, Scottish theme park Loudoun Castle closed. Lightwater Valley saw this as a good opportunity to expand their portfolio and the Skeleton Cove concept was born. The rides already had a pirate theme to them, so all Lightwater Valley needed to do was to expand on that theme and marry them in one area in the park.

The Flying Cutlass
The Flying Cutlass is a traditional swinging ship ride, manufactured by Huss. It’s a popular attraction for all of the family that swings at a 75 degree angle. A swinging ship already exists in the park – The Wave – but will not be open for the 2011 season and will be removed in the near future. When we asked why they didn’t relocate their existing swinging ship, we learnt that it was cheaper to buy and install a new one!
lwvsc.jpg

lwvsc%20(21).jpg

Powder Kegs
This ride is known as a “breakdance” because of the manner in which it operates. Riders sit in barrel shaped cars which are situated on a circular platform. The circular platform then spins. As the platform spins, it rotates around a larger outer circle creating a ride full of centrifugal force. If the car is weighted correctly, the spin can be incredibly forceful.
lwvsc%20(14).jpg

Nic pointed out that Huss Breakdance rides are less prevalent than they used to be and this will bring a traditional thrill to a whole new generation. Ashley said that news of a breakdance coming to Lightwater Valley has been well received by many enthusiasts.

Skull Rock
Skull Rock is easily recognisable because it has a skull rock in the centre of the ride. This is a Zamperla regatta ride. A regatta ride is similar to doing donuts in your car over equally spaced speed bumps. As the boats move in circular fashion, they move up and down creating an impression of sailing on a choppy sea.
lwvsc%20(19).jpg

lwvsc%20(20).jpg

Pirate Swings
One for the youngsters; A popular chair-o-plane ride. We didn’t focus too much on these as we won’t be able to ride them!
lwvsc%20(9).jpg

lwvsc%20(10).jpg

The Black Pearl
Undoubtedly the signature ride in Skeleton Cove and certainly the most imposing. The Black Pearl is an inverting pirate ship. Like a normal pirate ship, the ride swings back and forth, but eventually goes all the way around, a bit like swinging a bucket of water in a vertical motion.
lwvsc%20(5).jpg

I personally felt that the ride’s backdrop was a bit too “fairground”. Although it has a good splash of colour, I think it’s a bit too bright for a pirate themed area. This won’t affect the ride experience though.
lwvsc%20(7).jpg

Skeleton Cove is situated on the site of the old go-karts. The park decided to get rid of the go-karts due to rising fuel costs, and to increase capacity. Although the go-karts were fairly popular, the through-put was abysmal. The go-kart track is partly used as pathways throughout the new area. By adding five new rides, it should, no, it will, improve the visitor experience.

Skeleton Cove is Lightwater Valley’s first fully themed area and despite not having access to vast sums of money, the team have created an immersive area with plenty of detail. The staff who we met – Ash Young and Paul Walker, the Operations Manager – are theme park enthusiasts, and their collective attention to detail is evident throughout the area. Most of the theme has been sourced from within the park, some has been bought in and they’ve even built some themselves from scratch.

We’ll start with the “geeky” stuff. Firstly, there are no plastic bins here! Rubbish bins are old barrels!
lwvsc%20(8).jpg

Supporting walls have been constructed using old railway sleepers, which give the area a proper pirate look.
lwvsc%20(18).jpg

Other fences are constructed with rope.
lwvsc%20(2).jpg

The control booth huts have been built from scratch and have a deliberate weathered appearance.
lwvsc%20(13).jpg

There are little finishing touches that you may not find unless you look closely. For example, there’s a parrot on top of one of the masts (again, masts are another example of high-class theme).
lwvsc%20(15).jpg

Nic spotted a decaying hand amongst the barrels creating the impression that somebody is buried there.
lwvsc%20(16).jpg

It’s these little touches where we could really appreciate the enjoyment that they’ve had whilst creating this area. Paul also told us that even more features will be added throughout the year. It almost feels as if the project will never end for them. It’s a labour of love for them. The pride in the project is evident throughout.

There are a couple of bolder theming examples in Skeleton Cove. The main entrance (located near the Black Widow’s Web enterprise ride) features a large skeleton archway which leads towards a shingled area complete with discarded barrels and a warning sign.
lwvsc%20(3).jpg

lwvsc%20(4).jpg

The jewel in the Cove’s crown is the shipwreck scene. Again, the detail is effective. Aside from the broken ship, mast, lifebelts and barrels of rum, a treasure chest lies on the floor with coins loosely scattered around.
lwvsc%20(12).jpg

lwvsc%20(22).jpg

lwvsc%20(23).jpg

The coins were a nice touch; they were hard to spot against the stones, so it was rewarding to see them. In a way, I hope that it encourages members of the public to chuck their loose change towards the chest, so the theme is naturally built upon. They could give the proceeds to a local charity at the end of the season.
lwvsc%20(24).jpg

Here are a few general themeing images. I'm not entirely sure what Easter Island statues have to do with pirates. Perhaps it's a nod towards British explorer James Cook who visited the island in 1774. Cook was a Yorkshireman, after all!
lwvsc%20(1).jpg

lwvsc%20(6).jpg

lwvsc%20(17).jpg

Finally, the food marquee near Skeleton Cove has been refurbished to fit in with the theme. The interior walls have piratical murals which have been painted by a local college. The food served in the marquee remains unchanged.
lwvsc%20(26).jpg

lwvsc%20(28).jpg

lwvsc%20(30).jpg

lwvsc%20(31).jpg

lwvsc%20(32).jpg

If you look back over the years at Lightwater Valley, Skeleton Cove is quite uncharacteristic for the park. The retheme of Raptor Attack (which will also be added upon… :wink:) was definitely the stepping stone to what is shaping up to be a prosperous future for Lightwater Valley. After several seasons of apparent under-investment, this latest addition is an exciting step in the right direction to becoming a “theme park” and not just a field with a few rides. On a relatively small budget, but with lot of imagination, ambition and dedication, Lightwater Valley has managed to create an area suitable for everybody to enjoy. Set sail for Yorkshire right now!

Nic

Strata Poster
I'm going to start with some fairly brutal honesty here. I've had a tendency to be fairly critical of Lightwater Valley in the past. "It's just a field with a couple of rides plonked down" and "It's only worth the trek for T'Ultimate" are two phrases which, if I'm honest, I'm sure I've used before. Keeping with this mindset, when I heard that they were to be getting a new pirate themed land, I didn't have very high hopes. When I heard that it was to consist of 5 ready-themed rides from Loudoun, I was convinced they'd just be "plonked in a field and called a themed area".

All I can say is that, when I saw Skeleton Cove with my own eyes, what a fantastic surprise it was! An awful lot of effort has gone into making the area a completely immersive experience. The attention to detail is fantastic (and yes, I did get far more excited than is strictly healthy for someone who's looking at a bin!)

The overall atmosphere and layout of the area is great. We both commented that it didn't feel like you were in Lightwater. I put this down to the fact that you feel fairly enclosed. Not in a bad way, just that the rides are a lot closer together than you'd find in most other areas of the park. This gives the area its own character and helps to draw your attention to the theming. It works really well.

Its clear that this was done on a very tight budget, and with very few staff. That's in no way a criticism though. Take 'Clone Zone 'at The Milky Way as another example. To my mind, that's got about the most immersive storyline and imaginative theming in the UK, and that was clearly done on a budget of about 36p. The reason that works is because of the enthusiasm and creativity of the people who put it together. Skeleton Cove is no different. The limited resources has forced them to come up with new ideas, and tackle the themeing in different ways to parks with larger budgets. Therefore, rather than bespoke recreations of lobster pots, for example, you find actual real ones. The same goes for lanterns and life-belts, amongst other things. All of these items give the area an air of authenticity that might be lost if money were no object.

Overall thoughts on the theming then? No, its not going to have Disney quaking in their boots at the competition. However, in terms of spending a small budget wisely and paying close attention to those all important finer details, they absolutely get full marks!

The selection of rides is good, and fits well with the target audience of the park. Although they'd probably both make me 're-theme' the pavement, it's nice to see a couple of 'Old Skool' rides make an appearance, such as the Huss Breakdance and the Inverting pirate ship. These are both rides that you used to see everywhere, but are now more of a novelty. That helps the park to stand out from the crowd, and also gives a whole new generation of thrill-seekers the chance to have a go on the rides that we grew up with.

I was also interested that they've gone for the idea of having something for all the family in one area. Over the last decade or so, parks seem to have concentrated on segregating rides for different ages into different areas, or in Merlin's case, completely different parks. Over the last year or so, there seems to have been a realisation that this doesn't work for families, especially when they've got kids of different ages. The selection of rides in Skeleton Cove really does cover all audiences from small children right up to adults. This is a great move for the park, and will hopefully go down well with their core market.

Overall, I think the area represents a fantastic turning point for the park. They've realised the importance of the overall customer experience, and understand that theming is an important part of that package. The management team clearly enjoy what they do, and its a labour of love. I was very impressed all tolled, and look forward to what the future might bring.

Just remember: With more investment comes more visitors. With more visitors comes more profit. With more profit comes more investment. I think Skeleton Cove with help to kickstart this cycle for Lightwater. With more ideas and experience and, over time, more money, I think we could see truly great things ahead for the park.

PS. Massive thanks to Ash, Paul and all the staff at the park for showing us absolutely fantastic hospitality. We had a great day, and I can't wait to come back for the CF-Live in September!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I have a shocking secret... I actually really like Lightwater Valley, but I don't actually really like The Ultimate. I understand the coasters importance and how "special" it is, but it doesn't really do anything for me.

What I do love about LWV, is the eclectic mix of rides, space and theming. I always feel relaxed there, it's one of those "nice days out" kind of park I really enjoy. When you want a ride, there's always one close at hand, and it's generally a good, fun ride.

As a family park, it's superb, it really is. We've always had a great time there as a family with enough breadth on the ride front to cover the wide gap between the kids.

So, this kind of investment is great for us, and it looks great. There are some great "classic" thrill rides (that looks the like the Mary Rose from Dreamland to me ;) ) mixed in with some new kid's rides, all topped of with a nice theme. I hope we can get up there for the Live this year now, both kids would love it, but especially maxi-minor_Furie at 6 (as he will be in September), the pirate theme is spot on and the little details are what he loves spending ages looking at.

Can't wait to get back there, now, about those plans to ship the entire park closer to me... ;)

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
I rabbit on so much about LWV not because I think it's a brilliant park, (in a lot of ways it a terrible park, and the Ultimate is often too painful to enjoy), but the potential of the place is immense; it's one of the few parks in the UK that with a fair wind could nearly double it's attendance figures.

The park has never had a theme to hang it's coat on, has for year been horrendous with it's food and pitiful merchandise, and frankly has brought a lot of it's bad fortune on itself, to go on top of the debt the Ultimate shackled the park with, and bad luck with rides like the Hornet's nest, and the Twister.

What the last two years have felt like though is a genuine period of watershed for the park. A growing confidence in the use of viral advertising and social networking, including some incredible reaching out to the various coaster fansites has served the park well, and it is hard to argue that in the absence of a decent coaster or flume. that the park could have chosen a better portfolio of rides with Skelly Cove.

And while Clichéd, pirates, particularly with a new POTC film around the corner gives the park a decent brand without the need for a costly IP.

Here's the rub though; The cove is one fifth of the story, with Whirlwind and Raptor Attack another. The park has a chance with the remaining three fifths of its plan to become something special, and as Nic says, begin a cycle that could see the park become quite a significant player, with decent location, and plenty of room to expand (if I am not mistaken, you could virtually fit BPB within the Ultimate track, by way of example) the park is oozing with potential.

And credit to Ash and co, for dreaming to aspire to it. Here's hoping.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Well I've never been to Lightwater Valley, so I can't really compare before and after, however I can say that this new area looks quite good. They certainly seem to have put some effort into it.

Hopefully (if all goes to plan), I should be doing LWV at some point this year and I look forward to seeing this new area 'in-the-flesh'.

;)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I have to say, I think this looks fantastic. I completely agree with Nic's idea of authentic over fibreglass theming any day, and love a bit of homespun kookiness! Alright, so it's no Disney, but this has been done on a shoestring...but a shoestring of love. I was already very excited about my first trip to LWV (just ask Richard, he understands why now!), and Skeleton Cove now looks like it will make the live one of the most memorable trips of the year.

Also, thanks Ian and Nic for the fabo reports! What with this and Peppa Pig and Chessie recently, CF really seems to be going places in terms of getting on board with the parks, which can only be a good thing! Can't wait to hear more exclusives! :--D :--D :--D errr yahhhh shipmate etc. etc.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Believe me, in the mid 90s this place was heaving. I think it can get back to those days with the five-year plan and maybe a little more time after that.

jokerman

Giga Poster
Very well done to Lightwater on this area. For me what makes it so impressive is that they've done very well on theming an area with very few large buildings or structures. This makes it even more difficult to avoid the "rides plonked down in a field" feel.

I doubt I'll be going there any time soon, but maybe one day if I'm in the area I could pop in to see it up close.

I've not been to the park yet, but I do hope to get there sometime this year, so by then I will be able to judge properly.

For now though, I think the new area looks nice. I know Lightwater isn't really top of the line, so I wasn't expecting it to be amazing or anything, but it does the job! The theming is cute and it looks like they paid attention to detail, but like it said, the inverting pirate ship has a really ugly backdrop. But, one bad thing to be said about a whole area is pretty good, though I want to see it in person before fully judging.

In the end, it seems like a good addition.

Jake

Strata Poster
Are quite a few of those rides from Loudoun Castle? I'm sure the Breakdance is, and the Inverter ship...

Edit - Just read it again, whoops!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes, they all are.

Ian said:
In 2010, Scottish theme park Loudoun Castle closed. Lightwater Valley saw this as a good opportunity to expand their portfolio and the Skeleton Cove concept was born. The rides already had a pirate theme to them, so all Lightwater Valley needed to do was to expand on that theme and marry them in one area in the park.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Looks good. No Mutiny Bay, but still good for a small park like Lightwater.

Though I'd like to see a pic from a distance as I cant really work out the layout etc. I mean this rock looks a little lost if I'm honest:

lwvsc%20(1).jpg

Brookes

Giga Poster
This looks like a great addition for LWV. It seems very highly themed and really shows that they're raising their game. I went there for the first time last year and, though I enjoyed the rides that were there, I don't think there was enough there to keep you entertained for the whole day and there was something lacking. But hopefully with this 5 year plan the park can really improve the experience they provide; Skeleton Cove certainly seems to be pointing that way anyway and I hope to be able to check it out when I can.

Nic

Strata Poster
^^That forms the right hand edge of one of the entrances to the area (I think). Yeah, that photo makes it look a bit out of context, but it makes sense in real life. Also, they were about to re-lay all the paths just after our visit, so that rough ground is actually now a pathway.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Some of it does look really nice, but then this looks quite bland:

lwvsc.jpg

And I dont like the look of that tall black fence thats seems to be everywhere.

Though like I said, overall, they've done a good job for such a small park.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
I am right in thinking that there is further work ongoing throughout the season on finishing the area off, much like the additions they put to Raptor Attack, after it had been opened to the public, aren't I?

Nic

Strata Poster
As all the work is done in-house and they've only got a small team, they certainly find it tight for time over the off-season. I think further improvements during the season are a distinct possibility. Both in Skeleton Cove, and elsewhere in the park.

Watch this space :)