What's new

Six Flags Qiddiya| Saudi Arabia | Theme Park

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I still can't quite believe this is happening...

I physically laughed my ass off at that first POV animation... And now look.

Trax

Hyper Poster
Dunno, but I do know one thing… It’ll look slow if it does!
I will be the first to comment on its lack of speed, as long I am fast enough ;-)

If they really do open (still not safe in my opinion), this might be a guilty pleasure ride for me. I love high speed coasters and really enjoyed Formula Rossa for its sense of speed. But this is not only faster, but untrimmed.

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
Some people have absolutely terrible taste in music.

That said...that view is...woah...too bad you won't be up there long!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Are we assuming that square in the cliff face is the tunnel?
My impression was that it was possibly just a plinth for the foundations/footers, similar to the flat-spots in the hillside underneath the uphill section. It's hard to tell from that picture - the angle and resolution is a bit tricky to interpret.

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
Honestly, although a good majority of us will probably never ride this, I think we'd all prefer if it didn't have the tunnel.

CoasterGoji_501

Roller Poster
View attachment 30787

Looking at this (frankly insane) shot. Are we assuming that square in the cliff face is the tunnel?

In a slight aside. I assume that angled LSM track on the right would hold the dubious record of longest launch track in the world?
controvesal opinion: IrRat (tilt) has the better layout than falcons flight....lets face it once falcon gets past the 600ft mark, its just a big fast s o u p e d senic railway. which isn't bad pre say. however IrRat has much more of a layout than falcon

Trax

Hyper Poster
It is actually really challenging to design a „good“ layout with such insane speeds.

- The variance between cold and warm trains (yes, even in the desert) will significantly increase with track length and ride duration. Same goes for empty and full trains. Elements towards the end need to be shaped an a way that the heaviest, hottest, train will not exceed any g-force limits. Having no trims (the rendering doesn’t feature any) makes this even worse

- g-force limits are way more than just „you mustn’t exceed x g in a certain direction“. The regulations also specify the transition speed and duration limits for certain g-forces.

- Keeping that in mind, cruising around with >200 km/h requires very large radii (yeah, I also had to look that one up) to stay within the g-force limits. That’s why high speed elements are often times very drawn out.

- Combine all of this with the physics of curves. Doubling the speed going into a curve will increase the forces exercised by 4.

Now you got yourself a high speed ride without trims, with an extreme variance of speed throughout the layout that has to be somewhat existing while also being within allowed g-force limits and you got yourself every designers nightmare.

Falcons flight is way more than just taking the records. TTD and Kingda Ka were about taking the records. Tall, fast, but 5 seconds experiences. The ride actually has a concept beyond just being a one trick pony.
That being said, I see were you come from. With the high speed portion being most of the ride, and it being forced to be lower intensity, it can’t be that exiting apart from just being ridiculously fast.

I’m still interested how the windshield will affect the experience. Having done Formula Rossa, I really enjoyed the sense of speed in the front row, but my enjoyment dropped significantly for the other rows as the blunt force of all the air hitting you in your face was missing. If it still manages to maintain that feeling, this might turn out to be surprisingly high in my rankings, just because it ticks some boxes very few other rides can even think about of ticking off.

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
Falcons flight is way more than just taking the records. TTD and Kingda Ka were about taking the records. Tall, fast, but 5 seconds experiences. The ride actually has a concept beyond just being a one trick pony.
But what do you want? Just a 5 second experience or a boring layout, which you want it to end rather sooner than later?
Because of the high speed, it is impossible to make a interesting and long layout. Just have a look at Formula Rossa, which isn't great either.

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
But what do you want? Just a 5 second experience or a boring layout, which you want it to end rather sooner than later?
Because of the high speed, it is impossible to make a interesting and long layout. Just have a look at Formula Rossa, which isn't great either.
I really liked Formula Rossa after hearing so many negative things about the layout. The second half of the coaster was much more fun than I expected.

I think it's way too early to tell how fun any part of this will be, there's just nothing else like it.