What's new

Six Flags Great Adventure | Flash: Vertical Velocity | Vekoma Super Boomerang | 2024

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
There's been a lot of word swirling around this park as of the last few months so it's about high time we create a thread.

Six Flags Great Adventure will be celebrating its 50th anniversary next season. They also have... very big plans in terms of capital expenditure. Here is more or less a list of what we know is happening, what might be happening, and what isn't happening;

LOG FLUME REVAMP - Confirmed

Saw Mill Log Flume is currently closed, with banners and the website announcing a makeover for next summer. Rumors about this makeover range from a return to its 1970's look all the way to turntable and backwards drop for 2024; I'm more inclined to believe the former.
Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 4.20.32 PM.png
ml3eudd30zcb1.jpg

NITRO REPAINT - Still On The Table?

A planned Nitro repaint has been in the books since last year, with talk that it would even receive a new name in the process. However, because repainting a hyper coaster isn't cheap, the structure paint was put off a year, with the trains instead being redone in the meantime. The yellow trains suddenly became light blue over the offseason, with B&M even shipping a new one in so they could retire an existing one. It's unclear right now whether the rest of the coaster will still be repainted next year - if so we're perhaps looking at a shade of green.
Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 4.29.34 PM.png

NEW COASTER - Allegedly, Yes

Legend has it that near the end of his tenure, Six Flags boss man Mike Spanos signed off a B&M giga for New Jersey. This would have used a two-across train design and spanned across much of the lakeside, and there's been some debate about whether Selim Bassoul pulled the plug or not. For all intents and purposes right now, the B&M project is dead.

I've mentioned in other threads recently that Intamin is back and cooking with Six Flags again, and Great Adventure is a likely culprit if this holds true. The park has recently put many people underneath NDA's, but rumor mill is strongly suggesting a coaster incoming. Expect work to begin soon near the Log Flume and Medusa, perhaps by/on the arena site.
Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 4.53.27 PM.jpg

Announcement Season - Is It Here Yet?

According to a post on the Great Adventure Connoisseurs Facebook group, it's been suggested that we'll see teasers start dropping next month and an announcement near Labor Day. This lines up with SFOG and SFFT, both of whom are set to make significant (potentially coaster) announcements on August 19th and 26th, respectively.
Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 5.05.22 PM.png

So yeah, with all that being said, exciting times ahead for Great Adventure. It's great that Six Flags is putting this level of capital into parks again, and I'm extremely curious as to whether these rumors about Intamin ultimately do happen, too!

ViperGTS500

Roller Poster
There's been a lot of word swirling around this park as of the last few months so it's about high time we create a thread.

Six Flags Great Adventure will be celebrating its 50th anniversary next season. They also have... very big plans in terms of capital expenditure. Here is more or less a list of what we know is happening, what might be happening, and what isn't happening;

LOG FLUME REVAMP - Confirmed

Saw Mill Log Flume is currently closed, with banners and the website announcing a makeover for next summer. Rumors about this makeover range from a return to its 1970's look all the way to turntable and backwards drop for 2024; I'm more inclined to believe the former.
View attachment 25951
View attachment 25950

NITRO REPAINT - Still On The Table?

A planned Nitro repaint has been in the books since last year, with talk that it would even receive a new name in the process. However, because repainting a hyper coaster isn't cheap, the structure paint was put off a year, with the trains instead being redone in the meantime. The yellow trains suddenly became light blue over the offseason, with B&M even shipping a new one in so they could retire an existing one. It's unclear right now whether the rest of the coaster will still be repainted next year - if so we're perhaps looking at a shade of green.
View attachment 25952

NEW COASTER - Allegedly, Yes

Legend has it that near the end of his tenure, Six Flags boss man Mike Spanos signed off a B&M giga for New Jersey. This would have used a two-across train design and spanned across much of the lakeside, and there's been some debate about whether Selim Bassoul pulled the plug or not. For all intents and purposes right now, the B&M project is dead.

I've mentioned in other threads recently that Intamin is back and cooking with Six Flags again, and Great Adventure is a likely culprit if this holds true. The park has recently put many people underneath NDA's, but rumor mill is strongly suggesting a coaster incoming. Expect work to begin soon near the Log Flume and Medusa, perhaps by/on the arena site.
View attachment 25953

Announcement Season - Is It Here Yet?

According to a post on the Great Adventure Connoisseurs Facebook group, it's been suggested that we'll see teasers start dropping next month and an announcement near Labor Day. This lines up with SFOG and SFFT, both of whom are set to make significant (potentially coaster) announcements on August 19th and 26th, respectively.
View attachment 25954

So yeah, with all that being said, exciting times ahead for Great Adventure. It's great that Six Flags is putting this level of capital into parks again, and I'm extremely curious as to whether these rumors about Intamin ultimately do happen, too!
So if it was a B&M, why would of it only been a 2 across? Could of it maybe been an Intamin hyper?

Fiender

Mega Poster
So if it was a B&M, why would of it only been a 2 across? Could of it maybe been an Intamin hyper?
The rumor (&Tpose) specified B&M. The train could've been different to cut costs and possibly to make it stand out more from Nitro to the GP.

Matt N

CF Legend
This is what was posted and deleted almost instantly. Same poster as above

View attachment 25959
If that’s true… has Six Flags gone back to the 2000s or something? 3 relatively big coasters in one year (assuming the multi-launch giga, “Aquaman style coaster” and possible RMC were all 2024 additions) would be absolutely obscene!

Or am I misinterpreting the post? Are they simply preparing for 2 future coaster additions next year and only opening one?

basicbatch

Roller Poster
If that’s true… has Six Flags gone back to the 2000s or something? 3 relatively big coasters in one year (assuming the multi-launch giga, “Aquaman style coaster” and possible RMC were all 2024 additions) would be absolutely obscene!

Or am I misinterpreting the post? Are they simply preparing for 2 future coaster additions next year and only opening one?

The guy seems pretty connected to operations and met with the park president about future additions. The way he worded it sounds like it's all for 2024 (war on lines flashback) but I can't see how that's even remotely possible. Although after the meeting he mentioned they're doing a HUGE investment next year and everyone will be happy. He also deleted it pretty quick and it's been quashed every time it's been brought back up in the group

Matt N

CF Legend
The guy seems pretty connected to operations and met with the park president about future additions. The way he worded it sounds like it's all for 2024 (war on lines flashback) but I can't see how that's even remotely possible. Although after the meeting he mentioned they're doing a HUGE investment next year and everyone will be happy. He also deleted it pretty quick and it's been quashed every time it's been brought back up in the group
Wow; that’s absolutely absurd if true! Even the giga or RMC on their own would be among the largest coaster additions that Six Flags has made post-bankruptcy, so the possibility of all 3 coasters, as well as numerous flat rides and a log flume refurbishment, coming next year would be pretty unprecedented!

Out of interest, what was "War on Lines"?

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
How are a single one of you actually entertaining any of this? 2 or 3 major coasters, a dozen flat rides, and a log flume overhaul being added for NEXT YEAR (read: zero current construction, it's the end of July), at a Six Flags park? Are you comprehending what you're reading? That's quite literally an entire new park's worth of additions. Or a full 10 year plan. Not one, 10-month offseason.

A front gate "Rolling Thunder clone, possible RMC"? Are you kidding?

basicbatch

Roller Poster
How are a single one of you actually entertaining any of this? 2 or 3 major coasters, a dozen flat rides, and a log flume overhaul being added for NEXT YEAR (read: zero current construction, it's the end of July), at a Six Flags park? Are you comprehending what you're reading? That's quite literally an entire new park's worth of additions. Or a full 10 year plan. Not one, 10-month offseason.

A front gate "Rolling Thunder clone, possible RMC"? Are you kidding?
I don’t think it’s all happening by any means. I think maybe 1 or 2 on the list and the rest was just to make it seem like a not obvious leak.

Obviously the log flume is definitely happening and with all the new markers out front (and going back to metropolis) I think the entrance coaster could happen. They’re extending the entrance out and a coaster can interact with the entrance like Candymonium

basicbatch

Roller Poster
Wow; that’s absolutely absurd if true! Even the giga or RMC on their own would be among the largest coaster additions that Six Flags has made post-bankruptcy, so the possibility of all 3 coasters, as well as numerous flat rides and a log flume refurbishment, coming next year would be pretty unprecedented!

War on lines was in 1999 when they added a bunch of new rides at once to spread guests out more and reduce wait times

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
War on lines was in 1999 when they added a bunch of new rides at once to spread guests out more and reduce wait times

3 coasters ....and some 20 flat rides, all added in 99. With the coasters (Medusa, Lil' Devil, and Harley Quinn) and like 2 of the flats, still at the park now. Most of the flats added didnt even last 5 sesons, some less than 2.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
From the Six Flags Q2 2023 earnings call today;
“The lift in ‘24 was somewhat related to... we have a 50th anniversary coming up at our park in New Jersey and we had an opportunity to add a nice ride kind of late in the game and that’s a little bit rare because it takes generally a while to design and build a coaster so we had a fortunate opportunity and we decided to take it. So that’s the lift versus what we had expected to spend in the short run.”
They also alluded to $200M+ in annual capital investment across the chain for the next two years, so bright times indeed.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/46...poration-six-q2-2023-earnings-call-transcript

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
^I get that vibe too. Either that, or it's a simple off-the-shelf ride that doesn't take any real custom design work. "...a nice ride..." doesn't sound like anything major, but hopefully it is.

I don't know how far along Drachen Spire was, but due to the terrain aspect, I'd be shocked if they end up with that.

MagicMountainFan

Roller Poster
Imagine since they were running out of time for a 2024 coaster investment they could only buy some sh*t skyline prototype like last year to be ready for late 2025.