What's new

Six Flags America - generic question

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm going to Washington DC over Spring Break (next week), and we've got a free day planned so I'm going to be heading out to SFA. Only thing I was wondering is about the temperatures for the rides to be running.

Does anyone know if mid 40s (°F) is enough for them to have all the rides open? Sounds like one of those generic 'can you predict the weather for me' sort of questions, but I'm trying to be a bit more general. There's no point me taking the trip out there if everything is going to be shut.

Anyone got any experience they're willing to share?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I've been to Cedar Point on a day where the windchill was below freezing. None of the rides affected by wind were open. I think I took a dozen laps on Mantis and Wicked Twister each. No idea if SFA would operate that way.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^It could be worth calling them to see if they have a specific policy. Guest Relations phone number is (301) 249-1500 x3289.

The only time I have seen rides shut down due to cold was at Dollywood for an early Spring Break, with the temperature at 28 degrees F. All roller coasters were grounded until temperatures rose above freezing. Therefore, my gut thinks that you should be fine - it'll just be really cold!

kifan99

Roller Poster
I think You'll be fine because at KI Last Haunt it was freezing and raining windy and the wind chill was a lot below 32 degrees but the temperature was in the mid 40's so that allowed the rides to operate. The Good thing about these kinds of days is that the park will be almost desolate so that means RE-RIDE MANIA!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I couldn't help but point out a thermal dynamics aspect of this question: wind chill is a "human phenomenon," and does not lower temperature of metal.

While blowing wind can help a hot object cool faster (imagine blowing a fan on your car engine), once the object has cooled to the ambient temperature, it will not cool any further below.

So while wind chill is 32 degrees, the temperature of the roller coasters is still 40 degrees.

... Hey! I actually learned something during my 3 quarters as an engineer! :lol:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Nailed it. Engineering ftw. :D

Well I was at the park today - everything was running except Superman. They said it was too cold. Everything else was running fine, an the park was empty. I'll just have to stop by at some time in the future and get the last credit!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Glad it was a good trip! And they made it sound as if Superman would clearly be running 100% if it weren't for the weather? It was 75 degrees when I visited SFoG, and their Superman only ran 5 times that day. :roll:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Well they were testing it intermittently throughout the day, but it never ran. I had a chat with the ride-op waiting on the entrance and he said it was simply because it was too cold.