What's new

Silverwood's coasters

billybobjoebob

Mega Poster
I am going to Silverwood this summer, and I have a few questions to ask about their coasters.

1. How intense is Tremors? Is there another coaster that it can be compared to as far as intensity?

2. How good is the head chopper effect from the tunnels on Tremors

3. How strong is the airtime on Timber Terror, and what is the best seat for airtime?

4. How strong are the Laterals in the helices/turns on both coasters?

5. Is Corkscrew as painful as other similar coasters?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I haven't heard very much about Silverwood other than the fact that Tremors is a quality ride and Timber Terror is pretty good as well. I think it's safe to assume that Corkscrew will be painful due to it's age.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
1. Intense isn't really the right word to describe Tremors, the forces aren't extreme but are still strong, think similar to a GCI but a little more forceful.
2. They're great in my opinion, the first drop is really awesome with it going right through the gift shop, the final two tunnels help make it even more awesome.
3. It really varies with the day, if you get a good day then its a nice mix of moderate floater and some good ejector, I've gone in the middle of summer on the weekend and seen the rides be walk-ons so I'd just ride in every row possible and see for yourself
4. Tremors definitely has stronger lats but the lats on Timber Terror are still decent but Tremors are great.
5. For it's age and design it's not that painful but it isn't exactly comfortable either.

Some other stuff to know is that Aftershock (the GIB) is considered to be the best run one in the world and is rarely closed but you should grab a ride on it ASAP just in case it does or the line is long. Also, the park is really well landscaped and with luck you'll have time to appreciate it. The water park is also pretty good and is really nice in the heat and keeps people out of the park on hot days (which is almost every day in that part of the country during the summer). The drop tower may not look good but is actually one of the better ones of its size. Finally if you're short on time then make sure to get a ride in an outside seat of the back row on Aftershock before trying any other row, it is really freaky on the tower.

reddude333

Giga Poster
First off, Silverwood is my adopted home park and probably the park I've been to the most so I have a lot to say about it.

To address your questions:

1. I agree with Bottom_Feeder in that Tremors is not what I would call "intense". That's not to say it's not an amazing ride. I'm not really sure what to compare it to because I haven't been on my subterranean woodies, but it's definitely a unique ride.
2. I'm pretty tall, 6'5", so I guess any tunnel can feel questionable to me. But I have been on Tremors enough to know that it's fully safe, haha. The tunnels are definitely the defining aspect of the coaster and much of the reason that it is in my top 10 (also it has a high nostalgic value for me as it was one of my first coasters). Even though it was mentioned in the last post, the first tunnel is really great as it goes through the gift shop which also makes it fun to just chill in the gift shop when the train comes roaring through making the entire shop rattle.
3. I'm not really sure what to say about the airtime on Timber Terror. It's nothing extremely overwhelming but it's solid. The double up provides some nice ejector as far as I remember. Since it is an out-and-back layout, the main idea is airtime so in that sense, yeah, it's pretty good. Best seat for airtime is probably the back except for on the double up it might be somewhere further up the train, don't remember exactly. You will probably get a chance to ride wherever you want as much as you want.
4.The lats on Tremors are undoubtedly much better and I love the helices in the back of the layout. They can be quite forceful. I think Timber Terror had some good lats on the turnaround but probably not much with the helix. It really is more about airtime though.
5. Well, again since I'm fairly tall, Corkscrew has become painful for me but it is the first coaster with an inversion (as well as my first inversion on a coaster) so it's kinda a must-ride for historical reason, even if only that one time. There will be no wait for it and that is a guarantee.

As for my opinions of the rest of the park:

Silverwood is truly one of the cleanest parks I've been to, both in terms of the path and the overall looks of the park. The atmosphere is incomparable to anything else for me because of the memories I have there. I really like the theming everywhere (nothing too over the top) and I never get tired of the cheesy banjo music. I highly suggest the huckleberry funnel cakes! Don't miss out on them!

Aftershock is a very high quality ride and probably one of the shorter waits you will ever get for a GIB even at peak times. I did have an issue once with tweaking my back when I rode it but it's nothing to worry about and I didn't even care because I got caught up in the excitement of the rest of the day. All to say, don't miss Aftershock as it is quite a fun ride.

As for the other rides in the park, my favorites are the log flume, river rapids, paratrooper (I know, kinda random), and the drop tower is pretty fun too. The log flume is classic and a really nice relaxing ride with a decent drop. The line is often outrageous (especially compared to the rest of the park) but I usually ride it once anyway. The river rapids are great in my opinion and are the most consistent I have ever been on in terms of getting you totally soaked. It's pretty much a 99% chance you will be drenched when you step off it, plus it's all downhill which is great.

The water park is top notch in my opinion. Once again, extremely clean and very open feeling. The lazy river is awesome (as they don't force you to be in an inner tube) with a nice swift current in parts. And if you are of age, there is a bar literally in the water where you can buy drinks and take them with you down the river. Very unique and fun. The speed slides are the best I have been on and the tube slides are pretty quality too. They have added an addition family "raft" tube slide since I went bringing their total to two. I enjoyed the first a lot and I'm sure the new one is great too. The locker system is great and fairly cheap in my opinion. There are two wave pools (although I don't think it's necessary) and are definitely not a must-experience part of the park.

As a whole Silverwood has a ton to offer for not being a part of a chain and the cleanliness and friendliness of staff, etc. make it one of my favorite parks. I hope you really enjoy yourself and I'd love to hear about how your trip goes. Tell me how the new family tube ride is.

On random note, Silverwood is rumored to get a new coaster in 2013! I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :-D

billybobjoebob

Mega Poster
Thank you for answering my questions, and for all the extra tips and opinions :--D

I can't wait to go this summer, as I live in MD and don't get to go out west often. I'm also a big fan of woodies, so can't wait for Silverwood :)

reddude333

Giga Poster
Long way to go just for Silverwood. Surely you're hitting up some other places one the way? I mean, I love it, don't get me wrong, but it's kinda remote.