What's new

SF Magic Mountain |"Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom"| Drop Tower

steel

Mega Poster
Re: SF Magic Mountain |"Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom"| Drop Towe

You pull it down over your shoulders, therefore by definition it is an over-the-shoulder restraint. That doesn't mean it doesn't function basically the same as a conventional lapbar. It is an OTSR, but it's an extremely free OTSR.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Seriously, does it **** matter? Call it what you want, no need to keep blabbering on and on about it.

andrus

Giga Poster

Hmm, I just hope it's not the painful lapbars they used on Skyrush :(

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Considering it will be a natural free fall, I imagine the restraints will be ok as they will be falling at the exact same rate as the rider.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Surely because the vechile is heavier than each rider, you will be forced slightly into the lapbars?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^No air resistance would cause both the riders and the vehicle to accelerate at EXACTLY the same rate. However air resistance will mean the vehicle will begin to accelerate slightly slower as it falls (drag is proportional to the speed [technically the speed squared]). At first they'll accelerate the same, but the vehicle will begin to accelerate at a slower rate than the riders would, so you'll start to feel like you're being pushed into the seat as the vehicle falls. Having said that, these effects are extremely small, and you're unlikely to notice them on the brief time this is falling.

Just wanted to clarify that (in theory) the heavier ride vehicle makes no difference to how it accelerates.

CoasterfanSWE

Roller Poster

_Koppen said:
Damm sad that these new restraints did not make it in time for ATMOsfear last year
I second this statement. Being rather tall, the Atmosfear restraints cause a bit of narrow feeling. Even the Kanonen restraints are better. Hopefully they will switch them sometime (wouldn't that make it possible for them to remove that max 195 cm recommendation also? please do correct me if I am wrong on this one!)

To post a relevant on-topic comment, seems very exciting. Albeit probably not ever being able to experience it myself, a drop tower ride was about what the park was lacking the way I see it despite its many coasters. Hope they'll be greatly enjoyed.

davidm

Strata Poster

Hixee said:
^No air resistance would cause both the riders and the vehicle to accelerate at EXACTLY the same rate. However air resistance will mean the vehicle will begin to accelerate slightly slower as it falls...
...think your first "air resistance" should be "gravity"...

Nic

Strata Poster

*Runs back to the relative sanity of the "OMFG SW7 DEFINITELY is/isn't a EuroFighter you retard!" topic*

Can someone please wake me up when this opens. Thanks.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

david morton said:
Hixee said:
^No air resistance would cause both the riders and the vehicle to accelerate at EXACTLY the same rate. However air resistance will mean the vehicle will begin to accelerate slightly slower as it falls...
Wait... No air resistance means they're both falling purely under the effects of gravity, where the mass of the falling object is irrelevant. It's only when air resistance is taken into account do things start to change...

Casio

Mega Poster

Hixee said:
david morton said:
Hixee said:
Wait... No air resistance means they're both falling purely under the effects of gravity, where the mass of the falling object is irrelevant. It's only when air resistance is taken into account do things start to change...

I think david morton has simply misunderstood your post Hixee; you are both clearly correct in your understanding. (maybe not Ethan though) I think david morton read "No air resistance..." as "No, air resistance..." whereas you meant a lack of air resistance, i.e he thought you were claiming that it was air resistance that caused things to accelerate towards the Earth, if that makes any sense.

davidm

Strata Poster

^ yes

i.e. the "No" I interpreted as Hix as saying "No" to Ethan (who appears to not understand gravity)... perhaps the fact that the big superman tower is not enclosed in a vacuum tube lead me to this interpretation rather than the absense of air being a contributing factor.

;-)

AJ

Giga Poster

Testing
547162_10151053886837125_1928152575_n.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Confusion cleared. Phew. :p

Holy **** this is big. Usually drop towers look smaller the closer you get to them, but this still looks insane. It'd take me a while to psych myself up for this I feel... :?

Ethan

Strata Poster

david morton said:
^ yes

i.e. the "No" I interpreted as Hix as saying "No" to Ethan (who appears to not understand gravity)... perhaps the fact that the big superman tower is not enclosed in a vacuum tube lead me to this interpretation rather than the absense of air being a contributing factor.

;-)

Ok saying I don't understand gravity is stupid.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Ethan said:
david morton said:
^ yes

;-)

Ok saying I don't understand gravity is stupid.
Well you don't have a full grasp of it. :lol:

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Indeed I don't know all there is to know about air resistance etc, i'm not a 'sciencey' person. But I do know what it is and its effects (mostly) :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Well put simply, the acceleration due to gravity (in a vacuum, so the only force is due to gravity) is irrespective of the mass of the object. That's just about the basics, we'll do it on PMs if you care for more explanation. :D

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Well my last PM won't send :( This happened before with Mark... but anyway thanks a lot it really helped :)

marc

CF Legend
SF Magic Mountain |"Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom"| Drop Tower

There is a delay and the new date is July 7th