What's new

SF Magic Mountain |"Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom"| Drop Tower

jokerman

Giga Poster
Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom, 400ft drop tower for SFMM

Why does the press release say it will completely change the skyline? If it's a pre-existing structure, the change will be minimal, surely?

Normally with these rides I would say they're good for reducing the queues on the other rides, but this will have such terrible throughput that you can't even say that.

D1993

Hyper Poster

Newtrek5 said:
It's a trade off. You'll just have to wait longer for a ride you really can't quite get anywhere else in the US. If I'm Intamin or SFMM, there's no way I'm passing this ride up just because of capacity issues.

EXACTLY!
perfectly put, the ride is just too great to pass up the opportunity.

D1993

Hyper Poster

I Wonder if for some reason they cant do that?
Maybe there wouldnt be enough clearance from the eight-passenger wide gondolas.
Or maybe there wasnt enough structural support to add a third track on that part of the tower.
Because the superman tower would never have been designed to handle drop rides and the same structure, so perhaps they can only do two?

Newtrek5

Mega Poster

^ Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. While it's a massive structure, adding too much extra weight may not be possible or smart. Luckily, SFMM has several BIG ride options, so if the line for LL is too long, move on to the next one.

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ exactly, its not like its one of only a couple big rides at the park. Thats the biggest problem dreamworld has. If you go to giant drop and theres an aboslutely huge line, then theres really only 2 or 3 other major rides to do (tower of terror, wipeout, claw). With this issue, dreamworld is the best out of all the australian theme parks, and movieworld is the worst.

But anyways my point is that yes there is PLENTY to do at sfmm!
Im sure people will flock to it in its first year and it will be quite popular, but still I would definetly not refuse the chance to add this ride if I was the park.

D1993

Hyper Poster

Oh thats right.
Well there you go, they can only do 2.
While were on the issue, could giant drop also use the 4th unoccupied side of the tower?

Lofty

CF Legend

D1993 said:
Oh thats right.
Well there you go, they can only do 2.
While were on the issue, could giant drop also use the 4th unoccupied side of the tower?

But, to be fair, what's the point? I'm sure they get on fine with 2? I mean, it's great. If it has a queue, that's good for a park, if it doesn't, they can shut one side down. Having 3 would actually be pointless!

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ Yeah I guess you're right.
I was just curious really.

Gazza

Giga Poster

If it has a queue, that's good for a park
No.
Since when Is a ride having a queue necessarily good....The 90 minute queues Pteranadon Flyers gets at IOA...Is that a mark of it being a good attraction, or just an example of low capacity compared to demand?

And saying a 3rd side is pointless is like saying 3rd trains are pointless on coasters, or that spaceshots should only be 1 or 2 towers, and never triple or quad like at Knotts or Cedar Point.

I'm sure they get on fine with 2?
Not really (And nor will LL:DoD) Gets stupid queues at times.
The ride is basically only taking 16 people every few minutes. Thats like a B&M running half a train, or 2/5 of a Giant Frisbee for instance. Woeful capacity.

I'm sure they could do a 3rd side on Giant Drop, there's enough space. Never will though....

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ Dreamworld probably would never really bother hey?
Well at least with Lex Luthor theyre doing two. I mean thats the best they can do. To construct a whole new tower would be lots of $$$
I think with the circumstances and given what they can do, this is the best case scenario.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

I was there at the park a few weeks back for Fright Fest and there wasn't any work going on. I might head down there in a few weeks, I'll post if there's anything worthwhile to see.

marc

CF Legend
SF Magic Mountain |"Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom"| Drop Tower

I semi agree here that walk ons and dead parks are not always great.

When in California all rides at universal and magic mountain were walk on.

As a result the parks had zero atmosphere and we missed all the theming.

Yes I love walk ons but at places like universal and Disney you miss so much.

There are enough rides at Magic Mountain so these should be fine.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: SF Magic Mountain |"Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom"| Drop Towe

EVERY time I go to SFMM X2 line is always more than 2 hours, Tatsu minimum an hour, and everything I heard over the summer, superman was always over an hour with both sides open.

I still will probably never do these drop towers, as they are my ultimate fear, but I can see them having 2+ hour waits on July weekends. They will be a hit.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Superman may have to close whilst Lex Luthor : Ride of Doom is being built, and may not open untill Ride Of Doom opens. Due to it being easier for them to build it.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

^ There isn't any question about S:EFK being closed during consntruction, it actually closed on the just over a week ago so that they could start construction.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Bottom_Feeder_13 said:
^ There isn't any question about S:EFK being closed during consntruction, it actually closed on the just over a week ago so that they could start construction.
I wasn't answering a question in the first place, I was just updating people on whats happening.

CMonster

Giga Poster

owenrita121 said:
Bottom_Feeder_13 said:
I wasn't answering a question in the first place, I was just updating people on whats happening.

And he's saying that your statement about the possibility of closure already happened a week ago.