What's new

SDC Tightens Outlaw Run's Restraints

Hutch

Strata Poster
According to Screamscape, Silver Dollar City has adjusted the restraints on Outlaw Run and made much more tighter. This is probably because of the recent accident with New Texas Giant. If you read more, you'll find that many people (specifically men) could not fit into the new restraints, and not just overweight men. What do you guys think? Was this too much of a change?

http://www.screamscape.com/html/silver_dollar_city.htm

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: RE: SDC Tightens Outlaw Run's Restraints

If true, major problem especially with the location of this ride. If someone is 5'10 180 they should NEVER have a problem. My bet is in the off season they will add seatbelts and put it back to way it was.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Seriously? That is literal overkill and hopefully just a "til the end of the season" kind of thing. I would HATE for all future RMC creations require you to be aneorexic or bulemic to ride comfortably.

bmac

Giga Poster
I hope it'll just be a temporary solution until the NTG investigation is over, then either normal operations resume or whatever safety measure is needed will be implemented.

Lofty

CF Legend
Intricks said:
Seriously? That is literal overkill and hopefully just a "til the end of the season" kind of thing. I would HATE for all future RMC creations require you to be aneorexic or bulemic to ride comfortably.
I'm sorry but that post is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with being anorexic or bulemic; just not overweight...

As somebody stated above; I really can imagine that they'll just do this as a temporary fix until the NTG investigation has come to a full conclusion and a better fail-safe can be put into place.

Pierre

Strata Poster
^ but 180 pounds for a 5' 10" guy isn't what I'd class as 'overweight'.

It's understandable they've took this precaution but it does seem a bit extreme.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmmmm...

Screamscape said:
while they were asked to really suck it in to fit with a 36 inch waist and 5’9” height.

I'm a 36" waist and 6' tall and I'm borderline obese. I'm not saying that it's a good move by SDC and that it's okay to have such a tight restriction that affects so many - I'm just putting things a little in perspective as to what should be normal.

I think the worrying thing is how they have done this. If the NTG incident happened because the restraint clamped on "fatty tissue" rather than thighs, isn't the same thing still likely to happen here. If I squeezed in for instance, the restraint would be likely to be crushing on my gut, rather than my thighs. So I may fit, but still be vulnerable. I doubt it's quite so extreme to be honest, but it seems a bit knee-jerk without knowing the full outcome of the NTG investigation.

Pierre

Strata Poster
furie said:
Hmmmmm...

Screamscape said:
while they were asked to really suck it in to fit with a 36 inch waist and 5’9” height.

I'm a 36" waist and 6' tall and I'm borderline obese.

Really :? As that's pretty much my stats... I'm certainly not skinny by any means but wouldn't class myself borderline obese?? Overweight perhaps. I've always disagreed with the way they 'class' people though.

Thanks furie, you've really got my day off to a good start :lol:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm surprised its not completely closed whilst they add seatbelts.

Waist size is irrelevant to obesity.

And how within normal range the restriction is, too. They cant assess every riders individual body shape. This will be short team, but its for the best.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pierre: I have very little muscle mass though, so in terms of BMI, I'm borderline obese. If you're a 36 waist and 6' and built like a brick **** house, then you're fine.

That is you isn't it Pierre? ;)

Honestly, I'm flabbier now than I was when I hit a 36" on my way up to "fat" in my late 20's. So you're probably okay and still carrying some "prime male muscle" from when you were a stud mate :p

Joey: Is it that easy to retrofit with seat belts?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't know :lol:

I don't know the trains or the engineering required to fit them. Is there room to fit the fastenings? They'd have to be attached to the chassis somehow and could it be done to fit in with the seats? I honestly don't know, but I suspect it's not just a case of a couple of bolts and jobs a good'un.

nealbie

CF Legend
Pierre said:
^ but 180 pounds for a 5' 10" guy isn't what I'd class as 'overweight'.

It's understandable they've took this precaution but it does seem a bit extreme.

Initially I thought the same and cried ridiculous; then I weighed myself...

180 pounds is about 13 stone. Now, I am 13 stone, I'm also 6'5" and certainly considerably bigger than average in terms of skinny/obese. So for someone of a normal height to be 180 pounds/13 stone would be someone on the bulky/fat side of things.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Why the adjustments? I could have sworn Outlaw Runs cars weren't made by Gerstlauer like the NTG and IR ones. How similar are the restraint systems anyway? Anyway hope for all of you lucky enough to ride it the new restraints aren't too restrictive, I can imagine they might be quite annoying on this airtime machine.

nealbie

CF Legend
Pierre said:
^ you must have grew a lot since the last time I saw you... 6'5" really???

I was at least 6'2" in 2009 (probably more) LOL!

But yeah, after realising that I am 180 pounds (give or take a few) and a tad overweight, a person of normal height that weighs that much is either a muscle monster or a fatso to carry the same weight in a smaller vertical length.

marc

CF Legend
According to the gym I'm 200 pounds and a 33" waist so not sure how all this works out lol.

No idea how I weigh 14 stone think they made an error there shall check again tomorrow.

All my weight is in my legs and upper body, which I am working on.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nealbie said:
Pierre said:
^ you must have grew a lot since the last time I saw you... 6'5" really???

I was at least 6'2" in 2009 (probably more) LOL!

But yeah, after realising that I am 180 pounds (give or take a few) and a tad overweight, a person of normal height that weighs that much is either a muscle monster or a fatso to carry the same weight in a smaller vertical length.

Nah, you're in the ideal weight category - check out:
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/healthy-livi ... chart.aspx

marc said:
According to the gym I'm 200 pounds and a 33" waist so not sure how all this works out lol.

It works out to mean absolutely bugger all :lol: Weight doesn't really correspond to a body shape and ability to fit into a "best fit" seat and restraint system :)

marc said:
All my weight is in my legs and upper body, which I am working on.

Skinny arms?

I'm all fat head :p

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
The thing I'm wondering is if Herschend messed with Mystery Mine's restraints as well. I know it's much harder to fall out of an OTSR than a lap bar but since they are hydraulic restraints and they already messed with Outlaw's, which was made by a company slightly involved with the Texas Giant accident, I wonder if they'll start flipping out about Gerstlauer being MM's manufacturer. I doubt it, but they've already done something slightly drastic.

I think that RMC should get Gravity Group involved (even though they're probably bigtime competitors) and try to fit timberliner restraints to the Outlaw Run trains. They seem pretty forgiving. The only issue I could think of is space in the car. But those x-car-style restraints seem good for a coaster like this.