What's new

Scariest Rides

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
scary

For me it has to be flats.

Launch and drop towers and those that flip you upside down, such as "The Catapult" or "Twister" flats at Six Flags parks.

Roller coasters aren't scary, but fun and exciting...........some flats/thrill rides can be scary

nadroJ

CF Legend
Drop towers. **** no.

And people are always surprised. 'Jordan, you love rollercoaster!' Yes, I love rollercoasters, I do NOT love drop towers. They are the devil.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
I'm pretty much the same, Jordan. The only tower I'll do is Detonator, but even with that I'm at the top thinking "Why the HELL am I on this?!". It's a combination of hating the wait for the drop and the fact I have a fear of heights. I refuse to go on any other tower though. People have said they'll force me on ones like Apocalypse and Condor, but they're gonna have one heck of a hard time getting me anywhere near them.

People always give me the whole "But if you hate heights why do you like coasters?", but for me that's different...you're always moving on a coaster and it's only really for the lift-hill that you notice the height. Then again, the heighest I've been is only 205ft, so I'll see how I fare on taller ones...

Another thing to add, although I love the ride to bits now Rush at Thorpe used to terrify me to the point where I would freak out, close my eyes and come off shaking, swearing I'd never go on it again :lol: It was mainly because it felt like the restraints felt like they weren't keeping me in properly and I didn't like facing the ground on the highest swings...plus it was way more intense than I thought it'd be! Admittedly, I DO still get very anxious when I'm queuing for it :/

Other than that, rides don't scare me. Oh, except for Dive Bombers too...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
For me (and I assume others), it's not the actual height, but the direction you travel in and the feeling of insecurity.

On a coaster, you're always travelling in a forward direction (even on Oblivion, you're still on the X plane). No matter how high you are, you're moving along a fixed track you can see in front of you - it's no different to driving along a road, or being on a train. The height doesn't bother you as it's passing by under you.

Drop towers (and I guess swinging rides) you're not on that fixed track, and the motion is a "plummet". The only natural experience we have of that is falling, and when we fall, we hit the ground (I don't have a fear of heights, I have a fear of hitting the ground at 200 mph ;) ).

It also doesn't help that I hate the "airtime" drop towers give. That pure vertical Y plane "airtime" makes me feel sick. It's too sustained, and the pause at the top increases the tension of that feeling coming.

I've found that over the years and exposing myself more and more to drop towers, I don't actually fear them any more. I still hate the feeling of the drop, but the fear has gone (Condor saw to that :lol: ).

So, the only ride in the world that is truly scary is still the Tea Trays at Oakwood ;)

Dave

CF Legend
The Waterfall is utterly terrifying, just like Furie said it's the odd tension at the top, then the huge drop (feels huge) and then the scary bouncing as it's hard to correct yourself, just hold on for dear life! Anyone remember Patrick going down one handed back in the 2008 Live? Somehow stayed on despite bouncing around like crazy!

Drop towers always scare me, I'm not afraid of heights, just fear of falling usually kicks in, Apocalypse is the best one for fear and pleasure, the stand up side is great, just when you think it'll all be over soon it stops and tilts you out so you can't look anywhere but down, sick and twisted that is.

walker1104

Mega Poster
I'll continue the trend of drop towers too. They're by far the most frightening thing. ToT gets me everytime. Coasters don't tend to scare me that much, but saying that, the biggest I've been on is Stealth. So, I don't know about any of the bigger ones.

michaellll

Mega Poster
The new Harry Potter ride at Universal scares the crap out of me. Those spiders..........

Now drop towers. Easy pease.

Mike

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Insanity- Stratosphere
XScream-Stratosphere
Big Shot- Stratosphere
Drop Tower- Kings Island
And pretty much every other drop tower out there.

My list is exactly the same as this!

I was too scared to go anything at the Stratosphere (I was almost too scared to walk around at the top; One stumble and there's only a thin chain-link fence stopping you from falling!) and the number of drop towers I've been on is in single figures.

Ollie

CF Legend
I don't think I'm actually scared of anything. It's a shame really as most of the enjoyment of ride comes from the adrenaline of being scared. I'll pretty much give any ride a go at least once.

Even with the SCAD Tower I wasn't scared before going on it, going up or being winched over the drop. But as soon as that cable snaps and you drop I was terrified haha. Came off it shaking from the adrenaline and was high for the rest of the day. It made me miss being scared of going on rides and getting that sort of feeling in some form after riding.

Nic

Strata Poster
I love drop towers. I can kinda see why people find them intimidating, but I love it. (I know it's a shot rather than a drop) but even the one on top of the Stratosphere didn't bother me. In fact, I loved that because of the AMAZING view. Its only through doing something like that where you can get an unobstructed view without being behind a fence. It was the same when I did my bungee jump. I made the bloke laugh by banging on about the view as they were winching me back up.

Anyhoo...

The ride type that scares the crap out of me the most is ghost trains. Even really crap ones. I basically HATE anything that makes me jump. That's why I won't do scare mazes. Bloody hell, even Hocus Pocus Hall at Halloween scared the crap out of me, and that's aimed at 7 year olds! Eugh.

Ollie

CF Legend
Nic said:
The ride type that scares the crap out of me the most is ghost trains. Even really crap ones. I basically HATE anything that makes me jump. That's why I won't do scare mazes. Bloody hell, even Hocus Pocus Hall at Halloween scared the crap out of me, and that's aimed at 7 year olds! Eugh.
What about stuff like Revenge of the Mummy? Assuming you've done that.

Benson1997

Roller Poster
Well as i have only just started becoming a "coaster nerd" :lol: it would have to be.

1.Rock N Rollercoaster DLP
2. The Ulitimate LWV
3. Space Mountain DLP
4. Detonator TP
5. Dragons Fury CWOA( i hate spinners) :lol:

Im planning 4 trips to theme parks this year
Thorpe Park
Flamingland
Pleasure Beach: Blackpool
Drayton Manor ( for shockwave)

So im hoping the list will change ;)

Nic

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
What about stuff like Revenge of the Mummy? Assuming you've done that.
We queued (for ages). Sat down. Restraints closed. Sat for a while. Ride broke down. Got kicked off (despite them letting everyone else stay in the queue). Lost the will to live. Left the park.

So no, not actually been on it.

PS. That was at the Hollywood one

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think part of what is so scary about drop towers is the noises they make. The locking into position noises. The bang as they let go.

Eugh.

Yeah I'm not a fan. I can do them, but they just aren't much fun with a few exceptions. If I come across an unusual one I make the effort to ride it. Like, I did Kings Island's one despite not touching King's Dominions for the entire summer I was out there. Lol.

As for scariest coasters, the old wooden mice must be up there. Genuinely never sure if I want to ride them. It doesn't help that if you ride alone, you fall all over the place and don't feel safe... But if you ride with a friend you get crushed by them or winded from the seatbelt.

EDIT: In response to Nic...

A friend of mine has a similar hatred for dark rides, but hers is also about not being able to see into dark areas of the ride. The kind of spaces that, if you took a picture, it might be a track going off into a storage shed, or random bits or even just a corner. The feeling of sort of being able to see, but not see everything, just freaks her out so much. She's not an enthusiast, but "enjoys" watching lights on videos of rides. But, not really enjoys it, just feels compelled to and then gets freaked out about all the stuff you can't see when riding.

PS Revenge of the Mummy is so good. Why is it soo good. Every time I think about it I'm like, how can it be that good? That's not possible. (Orlando, this is.)

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Scary rides? Well here's the top 5 rides I've been on that could give me the overall most intimidating impression (reasons/impressions in parenthesis):

1. Drop Tower: Scream Zone at Kings Dominion, by far (This thing takes you (nearly) to the top of this insanely MASSIVE looking, 30-story column, then releases you on a rapid plummet that's in excess of 70 mph back down? Dang)
2. X (X2) at Six Flags Magic Mountain (Somersaults on a roller coaster? Seems to be an insane idea. Also, what are those crazy looking elements that resemble incomplete loops? Raven turns? Hmm)
3. Power Tower at Cedar Point (This thing seems to jolt you pretty quickly up and down that fairly tall structure)
4. Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion (Wow! Those trains seem to travel insanely fast throughout its course)
5. Déjà Vu at Six Flags Magic Mountain (2 vertical, nearly 20-story towers with 3 inversions in between - and to do it backwards?)

pebs34

Roller Poster
As a whole drop towers scrare me more than anything. I have always said heights dont scare me, i have a fear of falling.
1 However the one ride that scared me more than any other was Alien Encounter at Magic Kingdom. It is a shame it has gone. Would have loved to do it again to see if it is a scary as i remember.
2 Apocolypse Floorless
3 Detonater
4 Tower of Terror
5 Venom at West Midland Safari

Artichoke

Mega Poster
The one ride that scares the **** out of me are Zipper rides. Something about the cages, and the flipping around a million times just freaks me out. Not to mention the first time I rode it, there was a huge bee stuck in the cage with me, so I just about died. I will never again give that **** another go. I'd rather die than ride it again.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Even though those rides look awful and horrible I've always wanted to go on one lol.
They had one at a small park near me when I lived in Wales although it was only there for a few months and by the time I got there it had gone. Although they did have a new credit so all was good. :)