What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie

CF Legend
It may have the same problem that Maverick had with it's heartline roll. Maybe they had to take it out as excessive forces may damage the train and cause it to cost more to maintain.
I'm probably (if not definitely) completely wrong but there's my thought on it anyway. ;)

stevewalsh

Roller Poster
^The Overbanked Turn they removed would not produce excessive forces, Rage has a simmilar element. It is most likely due to visual impact, but having an Airtime Hill which looks like it will produce lots of airtime, is such an awesome replacment for a break run.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Regardless of the layout, we'll still get people whinging bout it...

Could result in a problem removing a MCBR though in that the capacity could be reduced quite a bit if they can only have two cars on the track at any one time, so we could only have 4/5 cars on at any one time without stacking with this layout...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Considering the design change was made well before any construction has been performed, I feel that the design change was more for the literal appearance of the coaster, as steve said; not because of any danger for the rider, train, and/or track layout.

Quick question for us non Thorpe Park goers, is there a train that goes through the Eurofighter's layout?

Ollie

CF Legend
^If your on about the Canada Creek Railway then I'm not sure. As I don't know how far over the layout will go. If it goes over the log flume then yes it will go over the train.

If that's what you mean of course. :p

Peter

Hyper Poster
Could it have changed perhapse due to risk of stalling?

The original MCBR is only about 1 or 2 meters lower than the elements before it, which I assume means that it would have crawled into it really slowly. Perhapse they thought a strong wind would make it likely to stall just before the MCBR?

The new airtime hill is a good 3 meters lower that the proposed MCBR, making it less likely to stall.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I think so?

Here, put my MSPaint skills to use:

0486DCSITEPLN002-1.jpg

Is that right?

Ollie

CF Legend
The train line is in 'Red'
The Flume is in 'Blue'

The 'Brown' was a random box where the new island is being built. :p

TP09Coaster.jpg

stevewalsh

Roller Poster
^Yeah thats right, the Immelan ore overbank is over the canada creek railway.

The removal of the MCBR shouldn't effect capacity to much, as previously all that was between the 2 MCBRS was the overbank, and it would have created a very short block segment.

Ollie

CF Legend
So yes the Eurofighter will go over the railway at the back end, but won't go over the Log Flume. :D
Hope that helps clear things a bit. :p

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, definitely, and helps further explain the reason for the design change, as the new design fits much nicer in between the log flume and train than the previous one, which indeed will help add a visual appeal so riders on both the Flume and train can get a good view of the coaster.

spicy

Giga Poster
^Yeah you may be on to something there, I never realised that before, in the old plan the track ran directly over the railway:

Original_Thorpe09_CoasterForce.jpg

Where as now it looks alot neater and fits in alot better.

I actually prefer the new plan, I thought the MCBR was going to suck, now there is a nice airtime hill, we have sacrificed an inversion but theres hardly a shortage of those at Thorpe anyway!

Mat

Hyper Poster
I was hopeing that Thorpe would use the lake to more of their advatnage in this coaster, but obviously not. I can see two bits where it could potentially look like the lake may be used to their advantage, but doubt it very much.

spicy

Giga Poster
^ Yeah I thought that, they don't seem to build in the lake at all. Are they not allowed to or something?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^It does look like the rides will be going over the water in the plans. At least I assume that it's the water.

They may have some sort of rule, similar to Hershey, about building in the lake.

A

Anonymous

Well the lake was an excavation site so its actually really deep: probably around 80-100ft so that could be a reason.

The new layout looks great, and i think there is still four inversions? :?

Dave

CF Legend
Hixee said:
^It does look like the rides will be going over the water in the plans. At least I assume that it's the water.

They may have some sort of rule, similar to Hershey, about building in the lake.

But its also because its used by the Water Sports company, guess they don't want any obstructions in the water, just incase anything goes wrong.

I like the new addition of the airtime hill, wonder if it be similar to Speed's? As thats an insane little thing, if it was on this it be a good element to have.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I think they just changed it because it's a better layout...

I mean those immelmans are hardley the most exciting things ever, and surely taking out a MCBR would improve the pacing.

Isn't Speed's air-time hill it's most praised element? It would make sense for thorpe to try and squeeze one in.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Speed's hill is right after the drop, so it has it's highest kinetic energy at that point, that's why it's so good...

Thorpe's is not right after the main drop, so won't have the same velocity, but airtime hills are airtime hills... I'm just waiting for UC now ;)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm delighted with the addition of the airtime hill and the removal of an inversion. I do not like hang time and it's the only thing Eurofighters provide when they invert.

Great news, to me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.