What's new

Saw Alive: Thorpe Park Horror Maze for 2010

marc

CF Legend
The bottom of the drop is meant to be getting re tracked.

I have not been on Saw un trimmed yet so I am looking forward to see how different it is. I am also looking forward to riding it at night.

I am glad they are adding bits to it and they did not lose the Saw name. Lets hope they improve it and can keep the theming etc working properly next year. Just a shame they can not enclose the lift hill :(

I have been lucky so far and never had the 2nd train, mind you have only been on the coaster twice.

spicy

Giga Poster
I didn't actually find the bottom of the drop that bad? If it has to be re-tracked then that's pretty bad on Gerstaulers behalf.

As for the updates I bet hardly anything actually happens, it's like when they said Stealth had been boosted faster when it probably didn't change at all.

As for Saw at the minute I got my first front row ride a few weeks agoand it's so much better than the back it's unbeilevable Imo. I never want to ride the back again.

nealbie

CF Legend
Why can't they enclose the prelift wait? You might be able to see the tv screens properly :lol:

Mind you, riding at night would give a near perfect effect of that to be fair.

Ollie

CF Legend
^I can see the screens fine anyway. But yeah would be good if they could enclose the lift and the bottom of the pre-lift section. That way the lighting in the bathroom would be better. It would be more atmospheric and also the car dropping out under the blades would look much better when walking into the area. Especially if going over the top they could light the saws and have sound effects so you know it's there on the ride. :lol:
I'm getting too ahead of myself here when all it'll probably be is an extra TV in the queue. :p

Ben

CF Legend
marc said:
I have not been on Saw un trimmed yet so I am looking forward to see how different it is. I am also looking forward to riding it at night.

It just means the end hurts that little bit more!

And enclosing the bottom of the lift so you could see the screens would be a waste of time since they switch off the second you get there anyway!

Bleh, Saw.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Eh, is Saw getting trimmed??

I only realised they were releasing a 6th film when I saW the advert for it last night, as if, just AS IF they have made another bloody Saw film. The first one was good, near on great infact, but my god 3, 4, 5 and now 6 are/will be just ridiculously pointless. No thought goes into these films at all and the the first one puts them all to shame.

STOP NOW! Please.

Aaannnnyyyywwwwaaaayyyyy.......

nealbie

CF Legend
Ben said:
And enclosing the bottom of the lift so you could see the screens would be a waste of time since they switch off the second you get there anyway!

That's what I mean though Ben. If that section was indoors, you'd be able to see and hear them as soon as you go round that corner. Instead of just about being able to when you are directly underneath them, when they turn off :lol:

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Honest question, not sure if it's been asked before:

I hear a lot of complaints about Saw's theme. Would the ride be improved if it was completely unthemed?

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Simples: no.

Saw is ok as it is. It's not really bad, not exceptional either. But I do think that making the interior actually dark so that you cannot see the track would one of the many improvements I would make.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ That is my opinion. Though I think most people agree, it's scores slightly higher by the fact it has some theming which is of good standard, but not as much as they had hoped/expected.

marc

CF Legend
It would not be better un themed, but for me there is not enough Saw. The best part of the coaster is the drop inside, the out side is not themed.

Everyother themed eurofighter has the lift hill themed and that is what thorpe should have done, the head chopper does not do anything when on the ride.

Saw for the uk just about gets away with it, compare it to Europe coasters it lacks as even small parks in Germany, Denmark do a better job.

For me anyway I simply don't like the coaster so it could have the best theming in the world, I don't like the layout it just does nothing for me.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
If it had the same level of theming as we see on Mystery Mine and Fluch von Novgorod, then it would be good...

As the theming is not, I don't rate it...

As a ride itself I see that it's average and not exactly stand-out in any way... Just stupidly over-hyped...

STC

Mega Poster
andrus said:
Of course they will update and rename it to SAW 6!
Sounds a bit similar to another addition to a Merlin park next year no? ;)

Most of the speculation so far seems to be that the SAW coaster will be upgraded, maybe with new special effects or theming. To me though, that little snippet of info above suggests to me a new ride. I'm thinking maybe a dark ride, as Thorpe literally completely lacks in this area. I'd love to see Merlin use their horror maze experience (TOTT this year showed us what their capable of) to do a well-themed, medium-investment horror dark ride to compliment the coaster.

The other possibility I think is a retheme of Samurai. If they did it right, it could easily be made to look like a very complicated torture device, with spikes sticking off it ect. It does say "spine-chilling new SAW experience" instead of "new ride". On the other hand, we have seen Thorpe "upgrade" a new coaster (Stealth) the year after opening before, so maybe there'll do the same here just to provide a bit of a publicity 'top-up'.

andrus

Giga Poster
I believe it's a retheme. It's a cheap way of adding "something new" to the park, that will attract visitors. And I think it's a good way to go. Instead of adding new half rubbish rides every year it's better to just add som cheap theming and wait a couple of years until they have som solid funds to invest in a new big ride.

Ollie

CF Legend
It may not be anything to do with Saw. Maybe be a new ride to fit in with the area. But I doubt there's room for that.

andrus

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
It may not be anything to do with Saw. Maybe be a new ride to fit in with the area. But I doubt there's room for that.
It could be a haunted house themed to SAW and in the same building as the coaster, but I doubt it.

jacoaster

Roller Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
If it had the same level of theming as we see on Mystery Mine and Fluch von Novgorod, then it would be good...

As the theming is not, I don't rate it...
For christ's sake... why do so many people moan on and on about the theming??

I mean, what on earth were you expecting? It's Thorpe Park. They are not going to be producing Disney-quality theming. Saw is arguably the best themed ride in the park, yet apparently it's still not good enough... :?

If there was evidence that Thorpe could do much better theming, then I could understand the moaning. But there's not, so you're just unappreciative.

I'm sorry for picking on you specifically - this post applies to all the other moaners too.

Ollie

CF Legend
andrus said:
Ollie said:
It could be a haunted house themed to SAW and in the same building as the coaster, but I doubt it.
There wouldn't be enough room in the building. The ride takes up literally all of it. If you could take down the walls you'd see how tightly packed it is in there.

andrus

Giga Poster
Mm, that is probably true. But if they do add a haunted house, I also think they will extend the building. But then again, I just think they will add/change some theming to the coaster and rename it.