What's new

Rumor (BIG GRAIN OF SALT RUMOR): Theme park chain potentially involved in Huntsville, AL area entertainment district.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
Let me start this off by saying this could go nowhere. This is just what I heard from a close friend of mine.

Today I was hosting an Alabama/Auburn football watch party (Roll Tide btw) and had some friends over. One of whom does local land surveying work. When the topic of work came up, he mentioned how he was doing work at a potential "entertainment district" in Limestone County. Let me add here that Limestone is mostly farming land being developed because of how fast Huntsville and Madison are growing due to the population boom. He then said it was going to be mostly some apartments and shops, to tag along with a new theme park. When I then asked what it would be, he then went silent. His face then changed when I asked if it was Cedar Fair, and asked me to change the topic.

So. A potential Cedar Fair park in Alabama. Not like it would be impossible. I wonder personally if this could be seen as a CGA replacement.

Indy

Hyper Poster
As you well know, the Huntsville/Madison area has been exploding over the last ten years. It's almost unrecognizable in certain areas. With it growing so quickly, it's honestly not outside the realm of possibility that somebody would decide to build a park there. It's certainly more believable than the DreamVision park that was planned for the Shoals area. If Foley/Gulf Shores can sustain OWA/Tropic Falls for 5 years, then Huntsville has a decent shot at supporting a park.

That being said, Cedar Fair feels pretty farfetched. I just can't see them being in the business of building a brand new park. Did he go quiet because he realized how knowledgeable you really are on the subject and that he shouldn't provide any further details?

... Roll Tide...

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
Did he go quiet because he realized how knowledgeable you really are on the subject and that he shouldn't provide any further details?
Maybe he did. However he does know I like roller coasters so I feel like he was trying to tease me then I happened to figure out or get way to close to the truth.

I will say I am not on the train of thought that Cedar Fair would never build a new park now. I think any chain would build a new park if they felt like the area was ready and they could make a lot of money.

Indy

Hyper Poster
I will say I am not on the train of thought that Cedar Fair would never build a new park now. I think any chain would build a new park if they felt like the area was ready and they could make a lot of money.
That's a fair thought.

I view it like a prototype ride, which parks are also apprehensive about investing in. It's less risky to let somebody else do the leg work and learn the hard lessons, and then swoop in and buy once the teething is done.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
It's less risky to let somebody else do the leg work and learn the hard lessons, and then swoop in and buy once the teething is done.
Issue is though it's no longer the 60s/70s. You no longer can run a medium to a large park on a budget.

I think this could be the start of a new smaller FEC type parks like what Six Flags has been rumored to do with the possible Frisco park.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
Looks like today is thread bumping day for me.

Huntsville planning commission is saying it's not a golf course but something else. Lines up in a similar area.