What's new

Roller Coasters of the Future

Mike

Giga Poster
slash1994 said:
Ben said:
^You however, clearly don't know what's ridiculous and what isn't.

Of course its ridiculous, i don't care I wouldn't want it to become reality, but you just know some douchebag from arrow or something will think it up.

Oh and Ben, are you ever nice? Or just compulsively sarcastic?

I believe he's pretty nice when people aren't being complete retards. ;)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
One day, I'll write an article about the new era of coasters. I just need to create it roughly in my head first. Here's the basics:

For ages, coasters followed certain rules. Look at Judge Roy Scream, for example. Hill after hill after hill all the way from the drop to the station. Or Coney Island Cyclone; Figure Eight. Or Kraken, inversion after inversion. You either go for twisting, hills or inversions with filler in between.
Then, someone came up with an idea of mixing. Today, Maverick is the prime example. Inversions, ground-hugging turns, and airtime. I hate to quote Hannah Montana, but it's the best of both worlds. And we love it.
Other rule-breakers come from S&S, we call them EL Locos. The Crazy ones. So far, they both have the worst names on any coasters to date, and the one built has turns banked the "wrong" way, a tilted barrel roll and a ridiculous drop.

Future coasters will be even more mixed. New concepts, however, I have no idea of.

Slash

Giga Poster
[quote="Mike"I believe he's pretty nice when people aren't being complete retards. ;)[/quote]

OI! :--D :assshaking:

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Lain said:
I think at some point in the future, simulation technology will be so advanced, that the experiences created by roller coasters will be able to be recreated entirely, and those giant steel things will become obsolete.

No. Computers will never be as good as the real thing. Even if the simulator fires stuff at your nerves to make it feel like you're getting G-force, and the video is completely un pixelated, computerized coasters will not be anything like real coasters.

Just one of the reasons for this is because in a simulator you will know, even if you are being told otherwise, that you are firmly on the ground or on a little hydraulic piston. Even before the rollercoaster, you should get a chance to gawp at how big it is and how you might be up there in a few minutes if you don't chicken out. The only way to completely convince someone that a simulator was 200ft high would be to build a 200ft, 3d plasma screen with a picture of the coaster roaring around the track....

...why not just build the damn thing for real???

There's probably a load more reasons why real is better than sim, but I really cba to think of them right now...

Anyway, back on topic, I do have visions of how I could develop rides and make new coasters all the time. My friend at school will tell you how sick of hearing the phrase 'Ooh I just had an idea for a new rollercoaster' he is.

Unfortunately for you lot, When I first joined CF, I was so eager to tell everyone my ideas that I came up with a topic just like this one, but the older CF people told me to keep it quiet so I could patent them in the future... So apart from telling my friend, I'm gonna keep quiet about my ideas...

Airtime Cadet

Roller Poster
Now that's just stupid. The only possible reason I might want to go to the moon is to have a dust fight.

I think maybe maglev coasters. There's no track resistance, so they'll do a zillion miles an hour, and they run on nice, eco friendly future fusion power.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I lol'd....

anyway - my ideas

1 - inverting woodies to make a comeback

2 - coasters like a marble run..

3 - flying dive mac hines

4 - a rocket coaster at blackpool, that launches over a special pier, and then goes on to alton towers, and turns into a cross valley woodie, then onto lightwater so it can become an extension of the ultimate....

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
That cylindrical tracked coaster mentioned above was actually concieved by Arrow Dynamics and evolved directly into the creation of the 4D coaster.

It would have had trackage similar to that on a batflyer, on a much larger scale, with a 'control fin' running the length to keep the train/cars oriented in the desired positions.

The problems at the time were mostly in supports interfering with the passage of the vehicles (Since they'd have to wrap around the whole of the track) and application of braking, as magnetic brakes weren't commonplace yet when the idea was proposed.

Another Arrow concept was similar to the wingwalker trains and the two were merged into the Arrow/S&S 4D design we know now.

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
loefet said:
Multicoaster FTW!!
Win. I think we're done here.
tks said:
Rollercoasters ON THE MOON.
Oops, just kidding, there was apparently still more awesome to be had here. Love the icon, by the way.
Lain said:
I think at some point in the future, simulation technology will be so advanced, that the experiences created by roller coasters will be able to be recreated entirely, and those giant steel things will become obsolete.
They thought that in the 80s as well. We'll see. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
1.Motorway coasters. Beat that traffic!

2. Coasters that seat standard and first class, first class has luxury seats and coffee :p

Kebab

Giga Poster
The Grape Wizard said:
Ormerod said:
1.Motorway coasters. Beat that traffic!
Intamin launch, right down the side of the motorway, huge tophat to turn it around :)

I'd be happy if it just done a RingRacer and launched at epic speeds until you reach the other side and hit the brakes. From Birmingham to London in 30 minutes :wink:

A

Anonymous

A coaster like Rita, but backwards.
Uh, unless one of those already exists.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Never will, I'm afraid. You'd get a pretty bad whiplash by the launch, without something to lean your head on. Alternately, it could be launched very slowly (RotM), but that would be a boring selling point.

I think we will see more coasters like Maverick in the future. A mix of airtime, turns, inversions, etc, without any specific selling point, perhaps beside its size (for smaller parks), or sheer reputation (for larger parks). Also, I think there will be a few funky concept coasters, but nothing big. Perhaps the engineers will find another axis to rotate on, perhaps something will corss the border between flat ride and coaster. But all in all, I think the classic sit-down coasters still will be dominating.

Gangster4Life

Mega Poster
I've thought of a coaster which has the cars hanging over the side of the track, it's an invert, and you are facing the side. It can also go upside down. The top speed is 95mph.

Another one is a backward B'n'M dive machine

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
If I ever win like 500 billion quid, I will create

The Bible Experience.

Get ready folks for the largest journey in the world. This dark coaster takes you through over 30 countries, and will last 10 years!

Experience EVERY word of the bible without turning a single page.

Now let there be LIGHT! :p

The disclaimer would be when you get DVT in your legs, it's not our fault.