What's new

Roller coasters and health

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Just wondering what people think about this. Is it bad form to visit a theme park once a week, and ride coasters/flats to excess (which is what I'm doing)?

I'm concerned about the supposed reports of brain damage or brain hematoma, but at the same time I love coasters/flat rides, and don't think I could give them up for the world.

:roll:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It'd never stop me. Riding coasters is one of the safer past-times I enjoy (and I'm not trying to make that sound pretentious), but I'm fit and healthy and coasters aren't going to do me any harm.! Does that answer your question?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
FaceYourNemesis said:
Hixee said:
It'd never stop me. Riding coasters is one of the safer past-times I enjoy too! Does that answer your question?

Well that's all I really needed to hear, so yes! :)
I think the point is, everything has negative consequences. You could look at nearly anything and say "here are the health risks, are you still going to do it?" and I bet more often than not the health risks are only a small part. Take driving for example, look at all the possible health risks you gamble with when you drive a car. There's mostly the consequences of an accident, be it death, loss of limb, paralysis the list goes on and on. Would that stop you driving a car? Unlikely. I think the same is true for coasters.

Obviously, coasters are recreational and 'most' driving isn't, but the point still stands.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
When I researched the Accidents page, I was amazed by the amount of deaths caused by "unknown medical conditions".

If you're healthy and do the "intense" rides in moderation, then there is no reason why you can't ride on a frequent basis.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Bottom_Feeder_13 said:
Riding coasters with high positive g's frequently will make you shorter, other than that I don't have a clue.

Doubt it's enough to force you to be shorter. Look at airforce pilots. All of them are under 6ft/2m.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^You do realise that's because they don't fit in the planes otherwise? :? High G-Forces can crush your spine (obviously!), but the sort of forces you experience on coasters and the time over which they act is very unlikely to cause permanent damage.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Thanks for the replies, guys! Obviously the key is moderation, but if the queues for a particular ride are short, it's all too easy to go OTT 8-[

Xpress

Strata Poster
Hixee said:
^You do realise that's because they don't fit in the planes otherwise? :? High G-Forces can crush your spine (obviously!), but the sort of forces you experience on coasters and the time over which they act is very unlikely to cause permanent damage.

I'm 6'1" and I fit perfectly fine in an F-16.

I can clearly see I didn't even make a point in my last post about rides.. :lol:

What I was implying is that the forces that rides exert on you likely aren't enough to cause you to be forced into a shorter height, simply because they aren't prolonged forces.

forces that fighter pilots experience are often 2x as much, and for 4-5x longer.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
dropthefloor93 said:
Think about the lives of Fighter Pilots or stunt pilots in the Air Force. Does that answer your question?
Whilst I do agree with the statement in some respects, don't forget that fighter pilots are highly trained, incredibly fit and healthy and a very select few. Within reason, anyone can just get on a coaster, so even though the forces are much higher on the pilot they're also much better equipped to deal with it.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
dropthefloor93 said:
Think about the lives of Fighter Pilots or stunt pilots in the Air Force. Does that answer your question?

Sorry for being thick, but what does happen? I know about pilots blacking out from high g-forces and crashing, but....

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
FaceYourNemesis said:
dropthefloor93 said:

Sorry for being thick, but what does happen? I know about pilots blacking out from high g-forces and crashing, but....
He's saying that fighter pilots get put though forces that are far more intense on the body (sustained high g-force etc) and it has no negative effects on their health. Blacking out has become much less of an issue with the invention (and continued development) of G-suits. So if fighter pilots are alright with the forces they're put through, why should a coaster be a problem?

Obviously, this is stupid logic though.
Me said:
Whilst I do agree with the statement in some respects, don't forget that fighter pilots are highly trained, incredibly fit and healthy and a very select few. Within reason, anyone can just get on a coaster, so even though the forces are much higher on the pilot they're also much better equipped to deal with it.

Martyn B

CF Legend
After riding Saw for the first time today, I can safely say that it cannot be good for your health. I have never been on a coaster where I have endured such pain, without banging my head at all, and its not even the same 'pain' as banging your head. I felt like I my head was about to implode.

I dont mind head banging coasters, but Saw, and whatever problem it has, is just on another level...

Darkrider

Roller Poster
IMO Roller Coasters are beneficial to your health.
They can relieve stress etc which can only be good.
Obviously you got to use common sense, if too much or certain rides give you a splitting headache etc etc, that will having a detrimental effect! I don't worry about getting bruises though!!

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
It still depends on the person. Not everybody is cut out to ride rollercoasters, just as not everyone is cut out to fly high performance aircraft. When I did my dogfight training in the gliders, not everyone was able to handle the movement and g-forces.
Stupid logic aside, not everyone is cut out to ride rollercoasters with frequency, as not everyone is cut out to fly High Performance Aircraft.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Pretty much.

Majority of the cases you hear of injury/death with roller coasters relates back to poor personal health prior to riding (heart conditions, previous ailments, etc.). It's important to know your limits and not exceed them.

HOWEVER, that being said, majority of publics who visit parks are perfectly fit to ride any type of thrill ride any number of times. You will most likely die in your old age from something not related to roller coasters. :roll: