What's new

Rides with pre-shows/films

nadroJ

CF Legend
Hey gang,

I've started a new topic at uni called short story cinema, and in our first seminar today our lecturer just asked us to name some short films. Immediately the short before Hex came to mind, and my lecturer told me that he never would have thought about these kind of films but obviously they do fit the bill, in a similar way that viral campaign videos for feature length films would.

Anyway, can you guys think of some more? The only other one that springs to mind is Tower of Terror.

Also, if you think rides are better with a pre-show video, what do these bring to the overall effect of the ride itself, etc etc.

Lofty

CF Legend
I like this topic.. A few spring to mind here..

Furius Baco's. If anybody hasn't ridden or saw a POV, it's a scientist messing with equipment etc. It's kinda fun.

Apocalypse (Formely Terminator Salvation: The Ride) - Never rode it, but I am sure it has a pre-show?

You could also delve into the likes of Sea Odyssey, In which you get told the story and the man explains the mission..

I'll think of more and edit the post :)

jokerman

Giga Poster
Interactive dark rides tend to have a video explaining how to use the guns, so there are quite a few in that category.

That's all I can think of currently.

Ollie

CF Legend
Spongebob 4D's preshow? :p
Dual with the news reports etc on the TV
Pasaje del Terror in London used to have a short 3D film about Jack the Ripper before it closed.

As for rides I don't think there's that many as it affects throughput etc. Probably dark rides or walkthroughs similar to Hex. Like the Vekoma Madhouses.

Ollie

CF Legend
Oh and how could I forget this?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7DZzHSstNU[/youtube]

nadroJ

CF Legend
I don't think videos explaining what to do on a ride count, I mean more things that would help develop the story and add to the overall experience.

The Baco film is awesome! Crazy monkeys <3

Louis!

Mega Poster
-lofty- said:
Apocalypse (Formely Terminator Salvation: The Ride) - Never rode it, but I am sure it has a pre-show?

It does indeed:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JERfcPFQaAk[/youtube]

marc

CF Legend
Rides that spring to mind.

T2 3D
Shrek 4D
Stitch
All Disney Haunted Mansion rides.
Tower of Terror.
Rock n Roller.

spicy

Giga Poster
The pre-show before Stitch encounter at DLP is pretty good.

Hex and ToT are probably two of the best pre-shows ever though, so I would do one of those.

Mike

Giga Poster
All of the Dark Knight rides have pre-ride film things:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNJqtEla8Is[/youtube]

That's all I can think off at the moment that haven't been mentioned yet.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Isn't it about time that gavin appeared to lock this with the sarcastic "do your own coursework research, bitch" reply?

nadroJ

CF Legend
It's not research, I wanted a discussion because I thought it was interesting that these were considered 'short films' =p

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Galaxy Express 999 has a lengthy, 3-section preshow. The third part, just before you enter the station itself is a short animated film, culled from another longer movie.

Nic

Strata Poster
Do the 4D films count? Or simulator type rides where the film is part of it? Like the old Back to the Future ride or something (that also had a pre-show video...)

Apart from that, can't think of any other rides with pre-shows I've been on that haven't already been mentioned. Hmmm

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm not a massive fan of pre-shows myself, as they demand your attention to tell you a story that you generally require to understand the ride in some way. Theme parks should be a more passive experiance, if you ask me. That's not to say some rides with pre-shows aren't amazing, but you see what I mean.

I think Oblivion's series of viral-like videos would be interesting to look at, as they do not demand your attention to enjoy the ride, they just add to it.

As Mike said, the Batman coasters have a pretty cool preshow (well, I like it anyway, haha).

Houdini at Great Adventure, before they took it down, had one as well. It was a Vekoma Madhouse, like Hex. I'm sure I could name more, but people have already mentioned most. I can't remember if DarKastle at Busch had one?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
DarKastle does kinda have one, though it's not one we're forced to pack into a room for...

Same goes for Spidey... And Doom, and I think Hulk might have one... I cannot remember... Doom's I've never seen fully cos I've never had to even queue for it...

Shame really...

coasterC

Roller Poster
SAW the ride springs to my mind, with the second train's encounter with Billy before the incredible indoor drop. I love that preshow, but you only get it 50% of the time :(