What's new

Rides that required a second ride or series of rerides for you to fully appreciate them

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Uncharted at Port Aventura. It's short, too short really so that first ride will likely leave you disappointed. Second ride once you know when to ride it (shorter queue time) and what you're in for, you can appreciate what it does well. Just don't want expect to be blown away.

Taron if you ride it earlier in the day before it has warmed up, in fact, just wait until it's warmed up.

StevenX

Mega Poster
As lot of people said, most overhyped rides kind of fall into this coaster.

Maybe slightly controversial, but Nemesis for me is firmly in this category. Having been more familiar with bigger, American inverts, I was always a bit underwhelmed by the relatively short UK counterpart - and I do still think UK enthusiasts (of which I'm one) really do it a disservice with how much it's talked up. But I eventually did grow to mostly understand the hype.

I feel similarly about Black Mamba.

Flying coasters in general I feel need some time to "relax" into. I really like Air/Galactica but it's a different type of vibe. And FLY is similar in that way.

Velocicoaster is a good example, and I agree in general with people suggesting newer Intamins and RMCs. I think with those there's just so much going on that although the first rice is great, it's a bit overwhelming and that you need a number of rides to start to understand the flow of the ride and pick out your favourite moments. Pantheon and Gotham City Escape were similar for me.

I'd also maybe put the Eejanaika (and I guess the other 4Ds) in this category - there's so much to process that the first ride is an absolute blur, and that it's only after a few rides that you get more of a feel for individual moments.

Ride to Happiness is an interesting suggestion - but I think that one's really dependent on the spinning. My first ride was perfect and I had insane backwards-facing ejector over the first drop, but I understand how people would be in the "wrong" direction (it does happen) and be a little disappointed first time around.

Hyperia and Voltron might be the next two that will get mixed initial reactions I think.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Maybe we're asking the wrong question here. Maybe there's a bit of a cause-and-effect conflict going on. How can I put this? Maybe you appreciate a ride more because you've had multiple rides on it, not because the ride required it. Ya get me? A night time marathon with no wait on an elite coaster will always be better and more memorable than a single lap after a 90 min queue.
I mean, logic dictates that you can only answer this question about rides that you have had multiple rides on, right? If you've only had 1 ride on something, how do you know if you'll appreciate it more after further rides?
Assuming we're not talking about kiddy creds, generic clones and generally bad coasters here, then pretty much anything requires multiple rerides to get a good feel for. Nobody's gonna come off a Volare and say "Hmm, it was good, but I think I need another ride to fully appreciate it." do they?
So my answer is... all of 'em, and at the same time, none of 'em, because it's a self-reinforcing question that can't objectively be answered.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
There's a couple in here that fit under different categories -

Rides like Ride to Happiness need to be ridden multiple times (and I would say more than just two) in order for it to actually be... good? Like, a dud ride on that is barely Top 10% material, but a good ride? Heading into Top 10 territory at that point. It's inconsistency is it's flaw, so you must ride multiple times to get the killer ride.

Then there's rides like Steel Vengeance, Zadra, Taron (night rides), etc, that in my opinion warrant multiple re-rides not to necessarily 'get' them, but to sort of validate your feelings. They're so shockingly good, you need to ride them again to make sure you're not making it up. I think this also includes re-rides in different seats to build up a better picture of their overall feel.

Finally, I think there are rides that need re-rides just to appreciate them better. Dwervelwind is a good example off the top of my head - the soundtrack is so fantastic and compliments the ride so well, but on one ride alone I don't think you quite have the headspace to piece it all together. Later rides give you that chance.

So yeah - great question, with a few different directions I think you can take it.

JYG

Roller Poster
I'd go with Intamins, mainly Skyrush, Velocicoaster and Maverick.

Skyrush has force diversity that's difficult to take in after one ride:

I assumed my buddies riding it for the first time would leave in disappointment. They prefer airtime, but Rush was more than the air. It was the temple of my lateral religion. The fact that the old restraints yanked me near perpendicular to the seatback many times was shocking. Seeing riders launched in opposite directions was satisfying. Freedom was my favourite element on the ride which allowed me to experience the maximum potential of the lats. Soon enough, they felt sustained. I'm psyched to experience Rush with upgrades :)

Velocicoaster is a lat king from my experience:

The stall is underrated with energy mixed in. The mosa roll and off axis hill are exceptional. These are some examples of elements I couldn't take in after one ride. The sleeper hit for me was the immelmann. The positives entering it (front row) are insane - your upper body is violently yanked forward while the lower body stays pinned to the seat. It's a sensation hard to spot on a rider cam.

Maverick is the god of distraction:

Other launch coasters lack restraints that distract you with positives in between elements. Hands up is bliss - the shoulder straps in combination with the positives give your arms a battle.

Last edited:
Iron Gwazi- my first ride (maybe 4th train of the day) gave absolutely not positives, or laterals, and gave fun, but not intense floater/lifter airtime. After one ride, I had it placed second overall behind Velocicoaster. I came back around 2pm, and holy crap...I would put that in top 5 most intense individual rides. The most intense forms of ejector, great positives, and a few lateral moments. After that, it was about even with VC. I had a marathon from 2pm until dusk getting 8 rides in about 3.5 hours. None were as intense since I knew what to expect. After that, it was my new number one. Sadly my last ride on IG came after about 2 hours of being down for fireworks, then lightning. My last ride felt identical to my first, hence why Lrod is above it in my rankings.

X2- My first ride blew me away. It was placed at #5 behind Twisted Colossus, and Velocicoaster. It didn't jump to number 3 for me until my first back row ride. That was just plain stupid, and I love it. It locked itself in at #3 after 7 night rides in an hour and a half back in January. All of those were in the back or front. It really allowed me to learn how to deal with the rough patches, and appreciate just how insane it really is.

Thunderhead- every park should take notes, this is how to retrack rides. It went from being placed around 26 after my 2022 rides, to being borderline top 5 with Ghostrider and Twisted Colossus after my 2023 rides. The airtime wis so much better now, and it is glass smooth. Even the middle of the train would make my top ten.

I might edit this, or make another post since Im out of time, and this wont save. Anyways, have a great day :)