What's new

Rides that are too similar (within a park)

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
When speculation over future coasters and attractions occur, discussion amongst enthusiasts often goes down the route of 'what the park hasn't got yet' OR 'they already have 2 launch coasters/they already have a spinner etc etc

But as we all know Parks don't always think logically - so are there any examples where parks have added a new ride which is way to similar to another ride they have, or made decisions that seem odd considering there line-up, Or where their line-up seems really off-balance?

A park with mainly launch coasters? a park with Only B&Ms? rides by different manufactures but are essentially the same? Building a wooden coaster 2 years after opening a previous wooden coaster??...... those sort of things.....

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
La Ronde having both a B&M batman clone and a Vekoma SLC....
SFNE having both a Boomerang and a Giant Boomerang....
SFNE having a regular Frisbee and now.... A Giant Frisbee...
Kennywood and Wild Adventures both having inverted outward facing frisbees.... And Diskos........
Discovery Kingdom having a Larson Loop and a Zamp Hawk...
Discovery Kingdom having a regular Frisbee and a Giant Frisbee

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Discovery Kingdom having a Larson Loop and a Zamp Hawk...
Can't forget the Skywarp coming next year!
Also, Behemoth and Leviathan are way too similar to be in the same park.
It's a bit of a stretch, but I'd also say Valravn and Rougarou, just because of the floorless trains, and even more of a stretch, Valravn and Steel Vengeance because of the 90 degree drop, but that's not really considered one.

davidm

Strata Poster
That interesting Japanese habit of having giant swinging ships next door to normal ones...
2617321519_62d4490254_z.jpg

2620760363_6491991dce_z.jpg

Japan guilty of this sort of aberration too (Spaland again)
15664315740_65facc636f_z.jpg

(also done by Disney of course, forshame, forshame and Bobbejaanland for a while)

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
^Disney do it for the throughput surely. Nagashima Spite Land does it just to spite people.

Stupid Prater and its wild mouse, spinners and spinning wild mouse.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
That interesting Japanese habit of having giant swinging ships next door to normal ones...
2617321519_62d4490254_z.jpg

2620760363_6491991dce_z.jpg

Japan guilty of this sort of aberration too (Spaland again)
15664315740_65facc636f_z.jpg

(also done by Disney of course, forshame, forshame and Bobbejaanland for a while)
Haha I'd ride all those pirate ships! :D

A showman at Oktoberfest does similar with their wild mice too.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Liseberg has a lot of spinny things. Mechanica, Loke, AeroSpin, Jukebox and even HangHai are all very spin and spew esque, and occupies a large amount of their thrill flats quota. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and they're all different enough, but my tolerance for things that spin a lot has decreased a lot, so it left me with limited options in terms of variety.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Wiener Prater. 12 coasters, and nearly all of them are samey portable Wild Mice or similar. I know it's part of the park's concept and all, but you know something is strange with a park when its Vekoma Boomerang is the most stand-out attraction.

Also, Blackpool Pleasure Beach has four of those classic wooden coasters in its ten-coaster lineup. Three of them were even built within a two-year period. However, like Wiener Prater the circumstances are unique enough to excuse it.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Screen based rides Universal Studios Florida. Having visited there today for the first time in years I can entirely see why this complaint keeps coming up. It’s actually almost taking the piss how many rides they have where you walk through a series of holding rooms, put on a pair of 3D glasses and then sit in front of some screens and wiggle about a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward M

Strata Poster
Screen based rides Universal Studios Florida. Having visited there today for the first time in years I can entirely see why this complaint keeps coming up. It’s actually almost taking the piss how many rides they have where you walk through a series of holding rooms, put on a pair of 3D glasses and then sit in front of some screens and wiggle about a bit.

Extending on this, when viewing Universal as one park (like many do) Transformers and Spider-Man are irritatingly similar. They are practically the same ride. Then there’s your run of the mill simulators, Simpsons, Jimmy Fallon, Despicable Me, Shrek 4D. A day at Universal just doesn’t have a ton of variety, to me at least. IOA is much better at varying things than USF (which is simply awful with the abundance of simulators).