What's new

Ride Evacuations and Disabled Park Guests

Vicki

Roller Poster
OK, dumb question I know, but I've started going to Alton Towers with a friend who has cerebral palsy and uses a manual wheelchair. IF, by some unfortunate twist of fate we needed to be evacuated from a ride, what would happen?

Would I be expected to get her off the ride alone? She can't do steps so how would we get down from a lift? Also I wear glasses, but obviously not while riding, so I feel I'd be hopeless help in that situation.

If anyone has been evacuated from a ride, can you share the experience, as in what happened? If anyone with a disability has been evacuated, your comments are especially welcome.

I'd just like to know so that if it happens I'm not totally useless and can reassure my friend. Also, she can walk some distances, what would happen if you were paralyzed??

So many dumb questions I know...

Ollie

CF Legend
From my experience with my brother who has the same disability (but he can walk unaided) they always put disabled guests at the back of the coaster trains. So in the event of an evacuation they'll be the first ones to be helped off the train.
I don't know if you know about the whole system at Guest services. If you go there and ask for a disability wristband it allows you to skip the queues and also lets the staff know that your friend is disabled. When you get the band they'll ask you questions such as can she walk unaided and be able to evacuate herself in the event of a breakdown. They'll then fill in a card for you to hand to the ride attendants when you go on a ride so they know that she's on a certain train and will need extra help if the ride breaks down and needs evacuating.

I hope that helps. It's the best I know from experience. Whenever we've been evacuated they always come up and asked if he needs assistance. But he can usually manage by himself.

Vicki

Roller Poster
Ollie, we went to Alton a lot in 2008 and once this year (today woo!) and we've NEVER had any questions asked or filled out anything apart from her name and address. This is quite worrying! I get why they put disabled guests at the back, makes a lot of sense, although my friend got a shock when she did Nemesis for the first time!

Snoo

The Legend
As Ollie said, most parks are happy to assist in any way possible to make sure the person has a safe and enjoyable experience. Having been with my brothers friends (my brother has a mental disability) at an amusement park, I can assure you that she will be safe in case of emergency. :)