What's new

Retired ride VR

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
One concept I thought of the other day was that parks would specially commission 360 HD POVS videos to be taken of rides they are going to retire or retheme - and then develop the experiences as VR side attractions.

I know some parks such as Europa are now taking their history and heritage really seriously (with its own museum and attraction), and parks now have more of a communication exchange with fans though social media etc with nostalgia definitely becoming 'a thing'.

Even though VR can never replace a ride - how cool would it be to visit a park and you wanted to re.ride a long gone ride or show your kids what it used to be like! - it could be achieved quite easily with 4d simulated seats, and simple to change-out etc, maybe a special booth you could select which retired ride you wanted to ride!

this is something I could envision appearing in the future! I know POVS etc exist privately on youtube etc etc - but I could see parks actually taking ownership of this process to exploit nostalgia.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Already happened!

Although I don't have the picture on me, I know that Fuji-Q Highland put a POV of Dodonpa on VR while it was under renovation!

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Loved the look of the Dodonpa one with its wind simulation.

I agree, if they had to use it at all, it would be nice to see VR used for rides that are completely gone. Better than sticking it on things that still exist.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Loved the look of the Dodonpa one with its wind simulation.

I agree, if they had to use it at all, it would be nice to see VR used for rides that are completely gone. Better than sticking it on things that still exist.

Yes I've seen it used for 'up and coming' attractions or existing ones.... now to pay homage to gone ones! however the videos would need to be done from now on rides that get removed in the future! Im sure footage of already defunct rides wouldn't be good enough unfortunately!