What's new

Removal of backlot tour at Disney Orlando

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
Just came across this:

It’s all in the name of progress, or as a Disney representative told us, “future enhancements”. The Studio Backlot Tour at Disney’s Hollywood Studio will give its final tour on Sept. 27, 2014.
Rumors have circulated for quite a while that the ride would be closing to make way for Cars Land, a Pixar area or a Star Wars land. But Disney isn’t saying exactly what will replace it just yet. But they did tell us that Oaken’s Frozen Funland, a part of the Frozen celebration at Hollywood Studios, will take up a portion of the Studio Backlot Tour on the Streets of America.
The Studio Backlot Tour opened with the park on May 1, 1989 as a way for guests to see what goes on behind the scenes during the making of movies and television shows. The tour changed many times over the years. One of the biggest changes was the removal of the residential section to make way for the Lights, Motors, Action show in 2005.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/stud...losing-later-month-disneys-hollywood-studios/

nadroJ

CF Legend
Good, it's total balls and completely outdated. The thing with studios parks is that unless they are homage to classics things become very outdated very quickly. Universal have got the right idea with slowly changing the studios park into more of a themed environment. Hopefully this is Disney taking a step in the right direction too.

#studiothemessuck

marc

CF Legend
I was so happy when I read this on fb yesterday.

No idea what's going there but strong stories are that they will be expanding Pixar there but there are also very strong stories it will be Marvel and ioa will not be carrying on with Marvel. People are also saying Disney can use marvel as long as it's not the same characters ioa use.

Guess we will have to keep an eye on it.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
No idea what's going there but strong stories are that they will be expanding Pixar there but there are also very strong stories it will be Marvel and ioa will not be carrying on with Marvel.
Strong stories my ass. Disney could start using their Marvel license but IoA spent millions completely updating Spiderman just a few years ago and they own the rights to their Marvel attractions indefinitely, so why the hell would they get rid of them when they are the most popular rides in the park after the Forbidden Journey?

marc

CF Legend
Star was will be going in the area where the current ride is though. The backlot is miles away from that.

Yeah Jerry I know. The deal ioa have was done before Disney bought Marvel and Disney said they would let the current deal run. From 2017 Disney get Spider-Man xmen etc so the stories are the ioa deal ends then and Disney won't extend it. It's just what's been floating round the Disney forums. Only Universal and Disney know what's true tbh.

The deal Universal had would stop Disney using Marvel in Orlando, but it's hard to know if that just covers the Sony part of Marvel or all of it.

That's the problem with Universal they don't own Marvel or Harry Potter. The original Potter deal was for 10 years with the option on both side sides to extend which was always going to happen.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Clearly I'm the only person who enjoyed this. Yes it when on tooooo long but the water and the fire and the explosions are just ahhhh. But I suppose once you've seen it once it once you've seen it.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool. It was pretty long, but it was still cool with all the effects and stuff.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Robbie

Hyper Poster
marc said:
The deal Universal had would stop Disney using Marvel in Orlando, but it's hard to know if that just covers the Sony part of Marvel or all of it.
I don't understand this. What have Sony got to do with theme park rights to Marvel characters? They have no control over that sort of thing.

marc

CF Legend
Sony had the rights to Spider Man, Hulk, Fantastic 4 and Xmen.

Universal could only build the attractions with their go ahead as well as Marvels.

It's like WB own the use rights for Harry Potter so they also had to agree to the theme park side. Had WB still own their own parks they probably would have used Potter.

I don't know if people are getting confused or not but the Sony deal ends in 2017 and many seem to think the Universal deal ends then as well.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
But why would Sony, who don't run theme parks, have theme park rights to Marvel characters?

Sony make the Spider-Man films, while the X-Men and Fantastic Four films are made by Fox. Universal themselves had the rights to Hulk but Marvel got them back.

But all these are for movies - and Sony and Fox get to keep the rights as long as they keep making movies. Which is why Sony are stringing out the Spider-Man movies as much as possible!

But when I worked in licensing with Marvel in the late 90s, they ran it themselves (and sold to far too many people - hence the knots they're in now) and I don't see how Sony would be involved in theme park rights - they don't even have merchandise rights anymore! The only thing I can think of is the Spidey ride uses elements of the film property?